Tim Tim is offline

Default Dinghy experiment #5

On Jan 16, 9:07*pm, I am Tosk wrote:
In article ,
says...

On Sun, 16 Jan 2011 18:06:48 -0800 (PST), Tim
wrote:

Wayne i was going to suggest jsut something like that for Frog's use.
Of course I dont' knwo the situation but with all his experimenting,
would it be practical to carry a flattened *inflatable, and a battery
operated electric ( or even a manual) air pump and inflate it when
necessary? *I'd think it would beat having the thing inflated and
getting in the way of things

On balance I think that carrying a deflated inflatable is the best
answer for boats in his size range. *The only real downside is that
they don't row very well. *The manual foot pumps that are normally
supplied are usually very efficient - no real need for electric unless
you are in a huge rush.

Yeah, I carry the electric because it came with a big air mattress. And
being rechargeable, it's real convenient camping...

--
Rowdy Mouse Racing - Pain is temporary, Glory is forever!

yeabutt... does it row very well???

wrote:

[...]

Wife wonders, "When are you going to just buy one of those inflatable
ones and get a motor". Snarky answer is: "Too obvious and too
easy". Real reason is that I hate towing a dinghy and deflating an
inflatable is such a PITA. However, I do see a good inflatable as
Experiment #6 if #5 fails.

wrote:

[...]

Something I really want to try is a "Tensile Boat" meaning a sort of
upside down tent shaped like a boat. It would be made from Tyvek with
a small rigid keel and would have fiberglass poles along the gunnel in
sleeves that meet at the bow and fit into the transom. Stiffening
ribs of fiberglass poles would fit into sleeves crossways and the seat
would also serve as part of the structure.The idea here is to make an
ultra-lightweight dinghy that can be easily stored, put together and
dis-assembled. I propose tyvek for its toughness and low cost so it
could easily be replaced. Tears could be temporarily fixed with duct
tape. There would have to be some sleeves to hold floatation material.

On Mon, 17 Jan 2011 00:30:59 -0500, I am Tosk
wrote:

This guy really took it to a new level about a decade or so ago... I
also have an antique kayak that is all poles and sleeves, it breaks down
and carries in two backpacks...

Oh crap, forgot the website... Try this

http://www.gaboats.com/

Those are the old Platt Monfort designs. Very elegant and very light
but they do not disassemble and seem a bit fragile to my eye.

wrote:
This guy really took it to a new level about a decade or so ago... I
also have an antique kayak that is all poles and sleeves, it breaks down
and carries in two backpacks...

Oh crap, forgot the website... Try this

http://www.gaboats.com/

Those are the old Platt Monfort designs. *Very elegant and very light
but they do not disassemble and seem a bit fragile to my eye.

The problem with the Porta-Botes is that I want one with more capacity
than the 8' but less than the 10' which is why I built my 2-Paw Dinghy
as a 9' version. The 8' porta-bote has a capacity of 445lbs. With a
lightweight Suzuki 2.5 hp at 29 lbs, that leaves 416 lbs. I weigh 187
lbs leaving 229 lbs. Wife weighs 130 leaving 99 lbs. One teenager
weighs..........
Am I being too pedantic about this? Would it be really bad to
overload one by 30 lbs for a 2 minute ride in chop?

GPS experiment... Mike[_10_] General 1 January 7th 09 10:51 AM
Boat heating experiment Eisboch General 13 November 25th 07 04:14 AM
Another video experiment... JoeSpareBedroom General 0 November 22nd 06 02:55 AM
OT Rubens Tube Experiment basskisser General 0 October 17th 06 03:07 PM
End of an interesting experiment DSK Boat Building 3 September 10th 06 12:56 PM