Default I suspect "cabin fever" is to blame

"YukonBound" wrote in message

"Tim" wrote in message
On Jan 16, 1:14 pm, "MMC" wrote:
"Frogwatch" wrote in message

I know the weather is bad for most of you and I know how much "cabin
fever" can make me "on edge" too. So, all you flamers, GO OUTSIDE,
even if it is ice fishing. Go skiing or snowshoeing, but get outside
for a couple of hours. Then come back and we'll talk boats.

=======

I've been working on my old Morgan 24. Got all the old rotted teak off
and
have sanded about 30% in preparation for painting. Bought a gallon of
epoxy
primer (man has that crap gotten expensive!) to go along with the 3 quart
kits of Interlux Interthane plus I had on the shelf. Gelcoat is very bad
shape and that's why I went with the epoxy primer.
Got a couple new Beckson opening ports for the v-berth and will install
after the paint dries.
Decks and house will be Hatteras Off White and the hull a dark green
(have
picked out a paint yet for this, probably go with Brightside).
Replacing the old teak with "Azek" fake lumber. About one 20th the cost
of
teak, easy to work with and no sanding and varnishing later. I've made
the
new hand rails and the look pretty good.
All outside stuff and you're right, being stuck inside makes people mean
as
snakes.

That's one reason I've been cutting firewood. running a chainsaw, weed-
eater or push lawnmower is good therapy for me. Beats knocking
somebody up the side of the head...

Yeah but... there are half a dozen or so posters here who really need your
head knocking services.
It would be for their own good so it could qualify as a charitable service.

Reply:
Asshole!

On Jan 17, 6:39*pm, "Califbill" wrote:
"I am Tosk" *wrote in l-september.org...

In article cee50221-872b-450d-a446-9c59166b96d2@
29g2000yqq.googlegroups.com, says...

On Jan 16, 1:26 pm, Harryk wrote:
The manual is silent on how much you open the gas valve on the tank. I
opened it all the way and then shut it off when the "test" was finished.

You should always open the valve all the way on an LP tank. *They are
designed with a "back-seat", which seals the valve stem when openend.
If you partially open it, gas can leak from the stem.

Wow, I did not know that.. I never seat anything unless I need to.

--
Rowdy Mouse Racing - Pain is temporary, Glory is forever!

Reply:
TOTALLY WRONG!!!! *Crack the valve about 1/4 turn. *Same with all flammable
gas cylinders. *O2, Argon etc. that are high pressure and inert have back
seals. *You want to be able to turn the tank off quickly if there is a leak
or fire. *Take any welding class and you will learn about gas safety.
Propane is a lot safer than a lot of the flammable gas as it is a liquid
under pressure and therefore is at a lot lower pressure in the tank.
Acetylene is a higher pressure in the tank but is in solution in acetone (I
think that is the liquid) as acetylene will self ignite explosively at a
fairly low pressure.

From the Weber website:

Cart Based Models
* Close the LP tank valve
* Turn all burner control knobs to the OFF position
* Open the grill lid
* Turn the LP tank valve until it is completely open
* Wait several seconds
* Turn the front burner to the HI/Start position
* Press the igniter until the burner is lit.
* Turn remaining burners to High
* Close the lid.
* The grill should preheat to 500-550 degrees in 10-15 minutes

As you point out, LP is not the same as acetylene.

On Jan 16, 1:26 pm, wrote:
[...]

From the Weber website:

Cart Based Models
* Close the LP tank valve
* Turn all burner control knobs to the OFF position
* Open the grill lid
* Turn the LP tank valve until it is completely open
* Wait several seconds
* Turn the front burner to the HI/Start position
* Press the igniter until the burner is lit.
* Turn remaining burners to High
* Close the lid.
* The grill should preheat to 500-550 degrees in 10-15 minutes

As you point out, LP is not the same as acetylene.

Those are the instructions on how to resolve a particular problem, not
the directions for S.O.P.

On Jan 16, 1:26 pm, Harryk wrote:
[...]

From the Weber website:

Cart Based Models
* Close the LP tank valve
* Turn all burner control knobs to the OFF position
* Open the grill lid
* Turn the LP tank valve until it is completely open
* Wait several seconds
* Turn the front burner to the HI/Start position
* Press the igniter until the burner is lit.
* Turn remaining burners to High
* Close the lid.
* The grill should preheat to 500-550 degrees in 10-15 minutes

As you point out, LP is not the same as acetylene.

Reply:
Is still a flammable gas. What happens if you get a bad hose, valve, etc.
You want to turn it off quickly. Not making 10 turns on a valve that may be
near the fire.

On Jan 16, 1:26 pm, *wrote:
[...]

*From the Weber website:

Cart Based Models
* Close the LP tank valve
* Turn all burner control knobs to the OFF position
* Open the grill lid
* Turn the LP tank valve until it is completely open
* Wait several seconds
* Turn the front burner to the HI/Start position
* Press the igniter until the burner is lit.
* Turn remaining burners to High
* Close the lid.
* The grill should preheat to 500-550 degrees in 10-15 minutes

As you point out, LP is not the same as acetylene.

Those are the instructions on how to resolve a particular problem, not
the directions for S.O.P.

Do what you want.

On Jan 16, 1:26 pm, Harryk wrote:
[...]

From the Weber website:

Cart Based Models
* Close the LP tank valve
* Turn all burner control knobs to the OFF position
* Open the grill lid
* Turn the LP tank valve until it is completely open
* Wait several seconds
* Turn the front burner to the HI/Start position
* Press the igniter until the burner is lit.
* Turn remaining burners to High
* Close the lid.
* The grill should preheat to 500-550 degrees in 10-15 minutes

As you point out, LP is not the same as acetylene.

Reply:
Is still a flammable gas. *What happens if you get a bad hose, valve, etc.
You want to turn it off quickly. *Not making 10 turns on a valve that may be
near the fire.

If you don't fully open and back-seat it, the fire may be at the valve
stem itself.