Default I suspect "cabin fever" is to blame

I know the weather is bad for most of you and I know how much "cabin
fever" can make me "on edge" too. So, all you flamers, GO OUTSIDE,
even if it is ice fishing. Go skiing or snowshoeing, but get outside
for a couple of hours. Then come back and we'll talk boats.

On 1/16/11 1:20 PM, Frogwatch wrote:
I know the weather is bad for most of you and I know how much "cabin
fever" can make me "on edge" too. So, all you flamers, GO OUTSIDE,
even if it is ice fishing. Go skiing or snowshoeing, but get outside
for a couple of hours. Then come back and we'll talk boats.

I just fired up my new gas grill for the first time...out on my new deck.

I checked it for leaks, following the directions in the manual. No
leaks. (Whew!) Turned on the burners, let it heat up. If it isn't too
cold this evening, I'll cook dinner on it.

That's all outdoor activity. :)

The manual is silent on how much you open the gas valve on the tank. I
opened it all the way and then shut it off when the "test" was finished.

You are far more adventurous in your caving and boating than I am, by
the way. I hope I don't read of your accidental demise some day.

On 1/16/11 1:32 PM, Gene wrote:
On Sun, 16 Jan 2011 13:26:51 -0500,
wrote:

On 1/16/11 1:20 PM, Frogwatch wrote:
I know the weather is bad for most of you and I know how much "cabin
fever" can make me "on edge" too. So, all you flamers, GO OUTSIDE,
even if it is ice fishing. Go skiing or snowshoeing, but get outside
for a couple of hours. Then come back and we'll talk boats.

I just fired up my new gas grill for the first time...out on my new deck.

I checked it for leaks, following the directions in the manual. No
leaks. (Whew!) Turned on the burners, let it heat up. If it isn't too
cold this evening, I'll cook dinner on it.

That's all outdoor activity. :)

The manual is silent on how much you open the gas valve on the tank. I
opened it all the way and then shut it off when the "test" was finished.

You are far more adventurous in your caving and boating than I am, by
the way. I hope I don't read of your accidental demise some day.

Don't be a pussy..... the colder it is, the better a grill seems to
do....! (Smoker, too....)

Yeah...I can stay warm standing next to the grill!

On Jan 16, 1:26*pm, Harryk wrote:
The manual is silent on how much you open the gas valve on the tank. I
opened it all the way and then shut it off when the "test" was finished.

You should always open the valve all the way on an LP tank. They are
designed with a "back-seat", which seals the valve stem when openend.
If you partially open it, gas can leak from the stem.

On Jan 16, 1:20*pm, Frogwatch wrote:
I know the weather is bad for most of you and I know how much "cabin
fever" can make me "on edge" too. *So, all you flamers, GO OUTSIDE,
even if it is ice fishing. *Go skiing or snowshoeing, but get outside
for a couple of hours. *Then come back and we'll talk boats.

Heh... good advice. I'm out in my shop, practicing MIG welding 18 ga.
steel sheet. After I get a handle on it, I'll be welding in some
patches on my old car. Fortunately, nothing I'm working on will be
visible when it's completed.

I can squirt wire and stick metal together, but it's not particularly
pretty. A welder friend of mine says that's why God made grinders. :-

wrote:

[...]

I have one of those Magma propane grills on my boat but am terrified
of propane leaks so I store the canisters outside. Although I oil the
threads and seals, the salt air affects them still so they sometimes
will not seal themselves once used. So, I took one of them off the
grill and found it hissing away venting propane. What do I do with
it? We are at Great Sale Cay with no place to dispose of it and it
sure isn't staying aboard the boat. I do not like to keep the grill
on the stern when it is choppy. Feeling very guilty, I heave it as
far away as I can from the boat, problem solved........or so I think.
An hour or so later as the tide runs out and it is almost dark, I hear
"THUNK, THUNK, THUNK" and look overboard. It has returned on the tide
bonking against the hull. JEEZUS, the canister from hell. We retrieve
it with the net and hurl it in the direction of the flowing tide.
Fortunately, it did not return again.
mmc mmc is offline

"Frogwatch" wrote in message

I know the weather is bad for most of you and I know how much "cabin
fever" can make me "on edge" too. So, all you flamers, GO OUTSIDE,
even if it is ice fishing. Go skiing or snowshoeing, but get outside
for a couple of hours. Then come back and we'll talk boats.

=======

I've been working on my old Morgan 24. Got all the old rotted teak off and
have sanded about 30% in preparation for painting. Bought a gallon of epoxy
primer (man has that crap gotten expensive!) to go along with the 3 quart
kits of Interlux Interthane plus I had on the shelf. Gelcoat is very bad
shape and that's why I went with the epoxy primer.
Got a couple new Beckson opening ports for the v-berth and will install
after the paint dries.
Decks and house will be Hatteras Off White and the hull a dark green (have
picked out a paint yet for this, probably go with Brightside).
Replacing the old teak with "Azek" fake lumber. About one 20th the cost of
teak, easy to work with and no sanding and varnishing later. I've made the
new hand rails and the look pretty good.
All outside stuff and you're right, being stuck inside makes people mean as
snakes.

On Jan 16, 2:14*pm, "MMC" wrote:
"Frogwatch" *wrote in message

[...]

Getting older does produce improved judgement even if it is only a
form of natural selection against those with poor judgement,
consequently, I find myself less likely to do stuff I would have not
hesitated to do when younger. For example, we found a cave near Hole
in the Wall that looked really interesting but had an awful crawling
passage with a floor of knife-like coral. Looking at it, I said “No
effin way I’m crawlin down that passage” and I hear two of the guys
jokingly make “Meow” noises behind me. I reply, “I’m 54, you guys are
40, knock yourselves out doing it”. They did it and it went nowhere.
I have found that these days I no longer do extreme stuff but am very
happy to use caving as simply an excuse to go places I would otherwise
never visit even when I do little caving. For example, Hole in the
Wall is really stunning and wandering around on its cliffs looking for
sea caves is breathtaking and I refused to enter any of them. Without
some excuse to go there, I never would have seen this stuff. Getting
older gives me a license to wimp out and not feel bad about it.

For MMC:

Sounds like a fun winter project. A Morgan is a good old boat. I
believe I have had problems with one of my home built boats I epoxied
when it was too cold so make sure you heat your area.
Tim Tim is offline

On Jan 16, 12:32*pm, Gene wrote:
On Sun, 16 Jan 2011 13:26:51 -0500, Harryk
wrote:

[...]

Seems odd, doesn't it? But it's true!

Fort Agent 6.00 Build 1186

Tim Tim is offline

[...]