Tim Tim is offline

Default I suspect "cabin fever" is to blame

On Jan 16, 1:14*pm, "MMC" wrote:
"Frogwatch" *wrote in message

I know the weather is bad for most of you and I know how much "cabin
fever" can make me "on edge" too. *So, all you flamers, GO OUTSIDE,
even if it is ice fishing. *Go skiing or snowshoeing, but get outside
for a couple of hours. *Then come back and we'll talk boats.

=======

I've been working on my old Morgan 24. Got all the old rotted teak off and
have sanded about 30% in preparation for painting. Bought a gallon of epoxy
primer (man has that crap gotten expensive!) to go along with the 3 quart
kits of Interlux Interthane plus I had on the shelf. Gelcoat is very bad
shape and that's why I went with the epoxy primer.
Got a couple new Beckson opening ports for the v-berth and will install
after the paint dries.
Decks and house will be Hatteras Off White and the hull a dark green (have
picked out a paint yet for this, probably go with Brightside).
Replacing the old teak with "Azek" fake lumber. About one 20th the cost of
teak, easy to work with and no sanding and varnishing later. I've made the
new hand rails and the look pretty good.
All outside stuff and you're right, being stuck inside makes people mean as
snakes.

That's one reason I've been cutting firewood. running a chainsaw, weed-
eater or push lawnmower is good therapy for me. Beats knocking
somebody up the side of the head...

"Tim" wrote in message
On Jan 16, 1:14 pm, "MMC" wrote:
"Frogwatch" wrote in message

[...]

Yeah but... there are half a dozen or so posters here who really need your
head knocking services.
It would be for their own good so it could qualify as a charitable service.

On 1/16/11 2:03 PM, Jack. wrote:
On Jan 16, 1:26 pm, wrote:
The manual is silent on how much you open the gas valve on the tank. I
opened it all the way and then shut it off when the "test" was finished.

You should always open the valve all the way on an LP tank. They are
designed with a "back-seat", which seals the valve stem when openend.
If you partially open it, gas can leak from the stem.

Aha...thanks.
mmc mmc is offline

"Frogwatch" wrote in message

On Jan 16, 2:14 pm, "MMC" wrote:
"Frogwatch" wrote in message

[...]

Getting older does produce improved judgement even if it is only a
form of natural selection against those with poor judgement,
consequently, I find myself less likely to do stuff I would have not
hesitated to do when younger. For example, we found a cave near Hole
in the Wall that looked really interesting but had an awful crawling
passage with a floor of knife-like coral. Looking at it, I said “No
effin way I’m crawlin down that passage” and I hear two of the guys
jokingly make “Meow” noises behind me. I reply, “I’m 54, you guys are
40, knock yourselves out doing it”. They did it and it went nowhere.
I have found that these days I no longer do extreme stuff but am very
happy to use caving as simply an excuse to go places I would otherwise
never visit even when I do little caving. For example, Hole in the
Wall is really stunning and wandering around on its cliffs looking for
sea caves is breathtaking and I refused to enter any of them. Without
some excuse to go there, I never would have seen this stuff. Getting
older gives me a license to wimp out and not feel bad about it.

For MMC:

Sounds like a fun winter project. A Morgan is a good old boat. I
believe I have had problems with one of my home built boats I epoxied
when it was too cold so make sure you heat your area.

=========

I'm finding other things to do when it's colder than about 60! Today would
have been a perfect day for painting if I had been ready.
Yeah, I like my old 1967 Morgan. Got it for $1k, fully rigged and included
96 6hp Johnson because it looked like crap and the center board didn't work.
I'll get the centerboard sorted out if I have the time when I get it hauled
to paint.
I know what you mean about not taking the risk we did when younger.
Everything seems to take longer to heal than it used to.

mmc mmc is offline

"Tim" wrote in message

On Jan 16, 1:14 pm, "MMC" wrote:
"Frogwatch" wrote in message

[...]

=====
You got that right Tim!

"Tim" wrote in message

On Jan 16, 1:14 pm, "MMC" wrote:

[...]

Why knock someone up the side of the head when with a chainsaw, you
could entirely remove that offending head?

On 1/16/11 1:47 PM, Harryk wrote:
On 1/16/11 1:32 PM, Gene wrote:
On Sun, 16 Jan 2011 13:26:51 -0500,
wrote:

On 1/16/11 1:20 PM, Frogwatch wrote:
I know the weather is bad for most of you and I know how much "cabin
fever" can make me "on edge" too. So, all you flamers, GO OUTSIDE,
even if it is ice fishing. Go skiing or snowshoeing, but get outside
for a couple of hours. Then come back and we'll talk boats.

I just fired up my new gas grill for the first time...out on my new
deck.

I checked it for leaks, following the directions in the manual. No
leaks. (Whew!) Turned on the burners, let it heat up. If it isn't too
cold this evening, I'll cook dinner on it.

That's all outdoor activity. :)

The manual is silent on how much you open the gas valve on the tank. I
opened it all the way and then shut it off when the "test" was finished.

You are far more adventurous in your caving and boating than I am, by
the way. I hope I don't read of your accidental demise some day.

Don't be a pussy..... the colder it is, the better a grill seems to
do....! (Smoker, too....)

Yeah...I can stay warm standing next to the grill!

OK...I started up the grill again...dang...no explosions (yet). I don't
think I'll stand next to it, though, until I put the beouf on.

In article ,
says...

"Tim" wrote in message
On Jan 16, 1:14 pm, "MMC" wrote:

[...]

Another stupid reply from Don.

On Sun, 16 Jan 2011 10:20:18 -0800 (PST), Frogwatch
wrote:

I know the weather is bad for most of you and I know how much "cabin
fever" can make me "on edge" too. So, all you flamers, GO OUTSIDE,
even if it is ice fishing. Go skiing or snowshoeing, but get outside
for a couple of hours. Then come back and we'll talk boats.

Golf works also. Got in my 18 holes today, but it was chilly. Toes didn't like
it.

On Sun, 16 Jan 2011 11:47:10 -0800 (PST), Tim wrote:

On Jan 16, 1:14*pm, "MMC" wrote:
"Frogwatch" *wrote in message

[...]

Doesn't beat blowing things up. Damn, I miss that.