mmc mmc is offline

Default Frogwatch

Catch any fish or lobsters on your trip? Conch? Cool shells?

On Jan 14, 3:23*pm, "MMC" wrote:
Catch any fish or lobsters on your trip? Conch? Cool shells?

We really did not try any fishing this time. It was too cold for me
to snorkel enough to get lobster although I saw the Bahamians catching
them.
Conch shells are everywhere in such quantities as to be difficult to
get rid of.
Actually, I simply forgot to bring any fishing tackle and I do not
know much about fishing.
I did find out about using a "Hawaiian Sling" for spear fishing while
snorkelling and it looks easy so I may make a similar device for my
next trip.
The most interesting shells were the fossilized sea urchins that are
about 3" diameter and we all over the place.
On the back side of the Abacoes, the coral rock forms a lunar-like
landscape but filled with water. This stuff is so sharp you cannot
walk over it. There are numerous small Blue Holes in it but it would
be difficult to carry dive tanks over it to investigate them.
Most of the time on Green Turtle, we were simply avoiding the driving
rain and wind and while at Marsh Harbor were wandering the bush
looking for caves.

It was so interesting a trip that I would reccomend renting a 24'
powerboat at Marsh harbor and using it to visit Green Turtle, Spanish
Cay, Guana Cay, Hope Town and Little Harbor. A weeks rental is about
$1300.
Tim Tim is offline

On Jan 14, 3:57*pm, Frogwatch wrote:
On Jan 14, 3:23*pm, "MMC" wrote:

[...]

What models are the powerboats?
mmc mmc is offline

wrote in message ...

On Fri, 14 Jan 2011 13:57:08 -0800 (PST), Frogwatch
wrote:

Conch shells are everywhere in such quantities as to be difficult to
get rid of.

They take them to Nassau and sell them to cruise boat passengers for
$5 each. $10 if they knock the tip off and make a horn.
Old oars go for $20 if you know Sargent Johnson ;-)
====
How much for young oars?
Couldn't resist
mmc mmc is offline

"Frogwatch" wrote in message

On Jan 14, 3:23 pm, "MMC" wrote:
[...]

==========

I've been half a dozen times.
Slings work very well. If you have the type that launches the shaft, careful
not to shoot at too big a fish as it might carry off the shaft and probably
won't survive, depending on where it's hit.
No trigger type spear guns allowed. Learn the fish before you start, catch
and release doesn't work so well with a spear.
Careful what you serve your guests, too many lobsters and they won't leave!

Congressman Frogwatch? jps General 12 August 9th 09 10:09 PM
For Frogwatch jps General 0 August 6th 09 04:08 PM
Frogwatch Cousin? jps General 11 June 15th 09 06:34 PM
Frogwatch finally sent me... HK General 11 June 4th 09 06:29 PM
Frogwatch Jim General 5 March 18th 09 10:06 PM