Default small boat refrigeration- or lack of

On Thu, 13 Jan 2011 12:21:15 -0500, Gene
wrote:

On Thu, 13 Jan 2011 08:50:28 -0500, John H
wrote:

On Wed, 12 Jan 2011 20:26:05 -0800 (PST), "Wayne.B"
wrote:

On Jan 12, 10:21*pm, Tim wrote:
The more I read, the more I'm convincing myself that i dont' need a
refrigerator on my boat.

http://forums.sbo.sailboatowners.com...ad.php?t=95807

for my purposes, it would be a draw in weight, *finances and energy.
A well insulated cooler and a couple of bags of ice available at any
port or marina would be a better benefit. and I'll drop back to one 8-
D and one automotive battery and go back with a smaller and lower
powered alternator for better efficiency due to less drag and flywheel
effect. still gotta have the microwave and coffee maker, though.

I'll get it figured out

=====

Using ice is problematic for a lot of different reasons. Consider one
of these instead:

http://www.amazon.com/Engel-AC-Fridg.../dp/B001DE45EY

They run on either AC or 12v DC and use very little power, In
addition they can be either a fridge or a freezer, and have some uses
around the home or in your car/truck. We bought two prior to our
Caribbean cruise last year and they've been completely trouble free.
At homke we use them when entertaining on the patio.

Damn, $750 will buy a lot of coolers and ice!

That's what I was thinking!

GMTA...sometimes.

"Wayne.B" wrote in message
On Jan 12, 10:21 pm, Tim wrote:
[...]

Brother-in-law carries one of those in his pickup when working at his
semi-isolated cottage lot. (no power available except for his generator)

On 1/13/11 9:44 AM, YukonBound wrote:

"Wayne.B" wrote in message
On Jan 12, 10:21 pm, Tim wrote:
[...]

The guy who helped me with the deck carries a small microwave oven in
his F250. He likes his lunches hot. I offered to heat up his meals
indoors, but he has his truck decked out for "break comfort" and takes
advantage of its amenities.

"Wayne.B" wrote in message
On Jan 12, 10:21 pm, Tim wrote:
[...]

Isn't that cute, Harry had someone "help" him with his deck. It sounds
like "help" is a "Harryism" for "... and I helped".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POI5aMgxYFk

In article ,
says...

"Wayne.B" wrote in message
On Jan 12, 10:21 pm, Tim wrote:
[...]

You did notice the contractor's trailer that Harry accidently got in the
picture didn't you?!

On 1/13/11 9:57 AM, I am Tosk wrote:
In articleKvqdnbSID4yRj7LQnZ2dnUVZ_hudnZ2d@earthlink .com, payer3389
@mypacks.net says...

wrote in message
On Jan 12, 10:21 pm, wrote:
[...]

Sure Harry...snerk

..... and I helped.

In article ,
says...

In article , payer3389
@mypacks.net says...

"Wayne.B" wrote in message
On Jan 12, 10:21 pm, Tim wrote:
[...]

That would be his contractor.

wrote in message

On Jan 12, 10:21 pm, wrote:

[...]

The guy without the trailer...

On 1/12/2011 11:26 PM, Wayne.B wrote:
On Jan 12, 10:21 pm, wrote:
[...]

I haven't even peeked in here in about a week and this is the only
boating related post I've come across so far, so I guess congratulations
are in order.

I use ice coolers on both of my boats. They seem to work well enough for
my day trips up here in the polar regions of Long Island Sound. I have a
small Igloo cooler I take aboard on my lake boat, and a larger, better
cooler I take out on my fishing boat. I have been known to double
plastic bag fish I've caught and put 'em in the food cooler. Yes, I have
done that. Sue me.

On Jan 12, 10:21 pm, wrote:
[...]

You've giving the non-boating morons here too much info. Next thing you
know, one of them will be on your dock, watching you carrying your
cooler onboard and taking photos of you and the boat.

Better wear a mask. :)