Default might enter the 21st century

OK, I am impressed by having charts displayed on a computer with gps
position overlaid onto the display, ie, using a computer as a chart
plotter. One of the guys aboard had this and it was nice to see. I
still hand plot lat and lon on my paper charts which requires I go
below in nasty chop to do so. So, now the question is: Use my
existing subnotebook or buy a tablet type PC for this?

On Jan 12, 4:05*pm, Frogwatch wrote:
OK, I am impressed by having charts displayed on a computer with gps
position overlaid onto the display, ie, using a computer as a chart
plotter. *One of the guys aboard had this and it was nice to see. *I
still hand plot lat and lon on my paper charts which requires I go
below in nasty chop to do so. *So, now the question is: *Use my
existing subnotebook or buy a tablet type PC for this?

==

What you want is one of these:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...m-details.asp?
EdpNo=5503074&SRCCODE=GOOGLEBASE&cm_mmc_o=VRqCjC7B BTkwCjCECjCE

They are a good value, waterproof, and just about indestructible. We
carry two on the boat - no failures after many thousands of miles,
several severe drops and numerous salt spray incidents.

On Wed, 12 Jan 2011 20:45:04 -0800 (PST), "Wayne.B"
wrote:

On Jan 12, 4:05*pm, Frogwatch wrote:
OK, I am impressed by having charts displayed on a computer with gps
position overlaid onto the display, ie, using a computer as a chart
plotter. *One of the guys aboard had this and it was nice to see. *I
still hand plot lat and lon on my paper charts which requires I go
below in nasty chop to do so. *So, now the question is: *Use my
existing subnotebook or buy a tablet type PC for this?

==

What you want is one of these:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...m-details.asp?
EdpNo=5503074&SRCCODE=GOOGLEBASE&cm_mmc_o=VRqCjC7 BBTkwCjCECjCE

They are a good value, waterproof, and just about indestructible. We
carry two on the boat - no failures after many thousands of miles,
several severe drops and numerous salt spray incidents.

Couldn't get that link to work. Can you do tiny url's?

wrote:

On Jan 12, 4:05*pm, Frogwatch wrote:
OK, I am impressed by having charts displayed on a computer with gps
position overlaid onto the display, ie, using a computer as a chart
plotter. *One of the guys aboard had this and it was nice to see. *I
still hand plot lat and lon on my paper charts which requires I go
below in nasty chop to do so. *So, now the question is: *Use my
existing subnotebook or buy a tablet type PC for this?

==

What you want is one of these:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...m-details.asp?
EdpNo=5503074&SRCCODE=GOOGLEBASE&cm_mmc_o=VRqCjC7 BBTkwCjCECjCE

They are a good value, waterproof, and just about indestructible. *We
carry two on the boat - no failures after many thousands of miles,
several severe drops and numerous salt spray incidents.

Couldn't get that link to work. Can you do tiny url's?- Hide quoted text -

Try this one:

http://www.bobjohnson.com/laptop-phr...ks_laptops.htm

There are other sources for used Toughbooks. If you do a Google
search for something like "off lease Toughbook", you'll find some
other sites. Bob Johnson's operation is small but reliable..

Also, do a YouTube viideo search for "Panasonic Toughbook" for some
great demos. They really do live up to their reputation although my
wife complains that her's is too heavy. She hasn't been able to break
it yet however. We've got three of them between us and they are all
going strong.
Tim Tim is offline

On Jan 12, 3:49*pm, Gene wrote:
On Wed, 12 Jan 2011 13:05:58 -0800 (PST), Frogwatch

wrote:
OK, I am impressed by having charts displayed on a computer with gps
position overlaid onto the display, ie, using a computer as a chart
plotter. *One of the guys aboard had this and it was nice to see. *I
still hand plot lat and lon on my paper charts which requires I go
below in nasty chop to do so. *So, now the question is: *Use my
existing subnotebook or buy a tablet type PC for this?

My choice would be driven by the easiest to secure, enter data into,
and read the screen....

--
It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are
enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance.

Grady-White Gulfstream, out of Oak Island, NC.

Homepage
*http://pamandgene.tranquilrefuge.net/boating/the_boat/my_boat.htm

Fort Agent 6.00 Build 1186

agreed! The simpler the better. But what do i know? I'm not a hi-tech
kinda guy anyhow.

wrote:
[...]

Most laptops don't do well in the open cockpits of boats...glare, spray,
the chance of being dropped. I'd go for a good GPS chartplotter with a
big screen.
Tim Tim is offline

*wrote:
[...]

Well, that's probably true, but I'm a lake boater that will be ont he
Ohio river this coming spring and i probably don't need anything
stupendous. if at all, except for something that can point out known
sand bars and restricted areas will poor marking. my wife has a
standard Garmin which I think there is a marine version as well. But
older yet usable laptops seem to be popping up a dime a dozen and a
person can download lots of trip stuff on it besides plotting a course
(on a river?) if need be. plus, logging the trip, and if by chance it
goes overboard. well... disappointing but nothing really lost.

at least that's the way I look at it.
Tim Tim is offline

On Jan 12, 8:31*pm, Gene wrote:
On Wed, 12 Jan 2011 18:11:58 -0800 (PST), Tim
wrote:

wrote:
[...]

There might be some goodies in this for you. I think the do iPhone and
I know they do computer....

http://www.waterwayguide.com/

--
It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are
enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance.
*-Thomas Sowell

Grady-White Gulfstream, out of Oak Island, NC.

Homepage
*http://pamandgene.tranquilrefuge.net/boating/the_boat/my_boat.htm

Fort Agent 6.00 Build 1186

Now there we go! i can get into that.