Default On to Marsh Harbor

For Wayne:

Yes, We did meet Sara at Green Turtle and watched her video which
featured lots of vid of her in a bikini catching lobster. She is very
cute and one of the younger guys in our group was really hitting on
her. Then one of the locals spilled a drink on her laptop.
Pineapples has potential but needs better presentation; when you walk
off the dock, the first place you see is this vacant building filled
with junk which should be used as a "out of the weather" place for
wifi.
Actually found a couple of small caves on Green Turtle but nothing
good.
Ran downwind in 20 kts under jib alone to beginning of "Dont' Rock"
passage. Had difficulty telling exactly where we were so decided to
believe GPS but still passed on the wrong side of Dont Rock but it was
high tide so no trouble. Docked at Mangoes Marina in Marshtown.
Walked out of the marine talking about finding a topo map when a
middle aged blonde woman overheard us and said there were no such maps
around. I figured she was a sorta crazy local woman but turns out she
was exactly who we needed to find as she runs a dive service and knew
how to get to Hole in the Wall by land.
We rented a car and drove waaaaaaaaaaay south and then onto a really
bad limerock road that went 15 miles thru the scrub scatching the hell
outta the rental car till we got to Hole in the Wall lighthouse. This
still operating lighthouse can be climbed but most of the steps are
rotten so you have to put all your weight onto the outsides of the
steps or you will fall thru, kinda scary but the view is truly
amazing. There are high cliffs at Hole in the Wall with blowholes and
some seacaves. It was really worthwhile going there.
Next, very close to Hole in the Wall, we located a few small caves and
one much larger one, all well known. We were reluctant to do any
bushwhacking because of the extent of the poisonwood and we had no
machete. Finally ate at Pete's Pub at Little Harbor.
Next day, went back to Little Harbor to look at the caves there, very
impressive sea caves in a 70' limestone cliff. Looked at a few small
unmarked blue holes nearby. Little harbor is a very attractive laid
back place with a well protected harbor and low cost moorings. Buffed
the scratches outta the rental car and prepared to leave.
Left my boat at Mangoes. One of the guys with us drove us in the
rental car all the way up to Foxtown and Crownhaven to meet the 7:00
am ferry which was crowded with about 25 people. The Ferry is private
of course and is powered by two Yamaha 200 hp outboards and takes
about 40 minutes to get from Crownhaven to MacLeans Town on Grand
Bahama. From there, we took the bus (10$ each) to Freeport and then
to the harbor to board MV Discovery Sun ferry back to Fort Lauderdale.

On 1/12/2011 2:53 PM, Frogwatch wrote:
[...]

Sounds like a fun time. A bikini-catching lobster? Got photos? :)

On Jan 12, 2:53*pm, Frogwatch wrote:
[...]

===

Glad to hear that you are enjoying the Abacos and getting out to see
the sights.

You might enjoy taking a look at our pictures from 2006 if you
haven't seen them already:

http://share.shutterfly.com/share/re.../welcome.sfly?
fid=2495b4f000e328e0&sid=0AaOGTlo0Zt2LjQ

One of the things I like about Pineapplle's (other than Sara) is that
it is such a typical funky cruising pub with people from everywhere
and lots of good boat stories.
Tim Tim is offline

On Jan 12, 11:07*pm, "Wayne.B" wrote:
[...]

Wayne, you mean better boat stories than here???

NO!!!

?;^ )

On Thu, 13 Jan 2011 04:56:44 -0800 (PST), Tim
wrote:

Wayne, you mean better boat stories than here???

Unfortunately some of our better story tellers have gone missing. The
climate here is not always conducive, and political discussion usually
rules the day since politics is a lot like driving a car: everyone is
an expert.