posted to rec.boats.paddle
Bill Tuthill

Default TR: Marsh Creek into MF Salmon

Very interesting trip report, including hairball log encounter,
he

http://canoekayak.com/whitewater/rafting/marshcreek/

Several additional pictures of the log he

http://home.earthlink.net/~mhowell777/images/MFS/

posted to rec.boats.paddle
Wilko van den Bergh

Bill Tuthill wrote:
Very interesting trip report, including hairball log encounter,
he

http://canoekayak.com/whitewater/rafting/marshcreek/

Several additional pictures of the log he

http://home.earthlink.net/~mhowell777/images/MFS/

What a story! Thanks for sharing, Bill!

I wonder if it would have been less damaging in a smaller group (say two
groups of five paddlers) and with only kayaks, instead of so many
catarafts...

The ability of catching tiny eddies sure helps in a situation like that!

--
Wilko van den Bergh wilkoa t)dse(d o tnl
Eindhoven The Netherlands Europe

posted to rec.boats.paddle
Oci-One Kanubi

Hi Wilko!

You typed:
I wonder if it would have been less damaging in a smaller
group (say two groups of five paddlers) and with only
kayaks, instead of so many catarafts...

Few people would want to do that run without raft support, since it is
six days from the put-in to the takeout!

-Richard, His Kanubic Travesty
Richard Hopley Winston-Salem, NC, USA
.. rhopley[at]earthlink[dot]net
.. Nothing really matters except Boats, Sex, and Rock'n'Roll
.. rhopley[at]wfubmc[dot]edu
.. OK, OK; computer programming for scientific research also matters

posted to rec.boats.paddle
Bill Tuthill

Wilko van den Bergh wrote:

http://canoekayak.com/whitewater/rafting/marshcreek/
http://home.earthlink.net/~mhowell777/images/MFS/

I wonder if it would have been less damaging in a smaller group
(say two groups of five paddlers) and with only kayaks, instead of
so many catarafts...

The ability of catching tiny eddies sure helps in a situation like that!

You bet.

Would you have volunteered to take your kayak out ahead, scouting for
down logs, and report back by 2-way radio? I don't know if I would.

On Marsh Creek hazardous logs appear every few years. Below the
confluence with Bear Valley Creek, where the river officially becomes
the Middle Fork Salmon, I believe log danger is less.

In the aforementioned TR, it appears the log had just moved, because
another party had rafted the river days before and reported nothing.

posted to rec.boats.paddle
Wilko

Bill Tuthill wrote:
Would you have volunteered to take your kayak out ahead, scouting for
down logs, and report back by 2-way radio? I don't know if I would.

I tend to be the lead paddler most of the time when we paddle, so yes, I
probably would volunteer. It's actually pretty normal to find trees
across the river on most of the (steep) creeks that we paddle. I've been
in that situation a couple of times, finding a tree blocking the entire
river. I find a strainer a lot more risky than many of the more
difficult rapids, and as a result, we tend to be as careful as possible.

Since we paddle pretty continuous stuff most of the time, there usually
is no scouting on foot, only from the boat. I'm not sure that could have
made much difference here though.

I read the story, thinking: what could I have done? Frankly, with so
many catarafts, I would probably be able to stop just in time in my
kayak, only to see a lot of them still get in trouble. :-(

If it was only one, with a couple of kayakers staying ahead, it might be
different if one would signal upstream, but it might still be too late.

Reading about the multi-day trip, I can see the need for a raft. That
sure complicates matters! I have very little experience with doing
multi-day trips, so I don't know how to circumvent that equipment issue,
unless you're all taking Prijon Tornado size kayaks... :-S

On Marsh Creek hazardous logs appear every few years. Below the
confluence with Bear Valley Creek, where the river officially becomes
the Middle Fork Salmon, I believe log danger is less.

In the aforementioned TR, it appears the log had just moved, because
another party had rafted the river days before and reported nothing.

Yeah, so I noticed. The kayakers did manage to get through unscathed though.

--
Wilko van den Bergh wilkoa t)dse(d o tnl
Eindhoven The Netherlands Europe
---Look at the possibilities, don't worry about the limitations.---
http://kayaker.nl/

FEDGOV wants to reduce salmon harvest, close hatcheries, to protect fish stocks [email protected] General 2 January 27th 06 04:02 AM
Reclaiming Woolper Creek Garrison Hilliard General 0 January 26th 06 09:55 PM
Wild salmon vs farmed Gordon General 49 January 23rd 06 07:21 PM
Boulder Creek and the Eagles Scott Weiser General 61 December 4th 05 02:35 AM
TR: Middle Fork Salmon, Idaho Bill Tuthill General 8 October 28th 05 06:30 PM