Tim Tim is offline

Default Are solar powered yachts a thing of the future?

http://www.powerboat-world.com/usa/L...nference/78111

Looks like somebody made an ocean-goer. But I wonder how it will catch
on?

On Jan 10, 6:32*pm, Tim wrote:
http://www.powerboat-world.com/usa/L...acht-crosses-A...

Looks like somebody made an ocean-goer. But I wonder how it will catch
on?

====

It's an interesting looking boat but doesn't seem all that seaworthy
to my eye. That large horizontal deck would catch an enormous amount
of wind in a big storm and make it prone to capsize. They
intentionally built it very light so it almost certainly has no
ballast. Frankly I think it's the wrong application for solar power.
Serious cruisers however are using a lot of solar these days to
recharge batteries and minimize generator time. Prices keep coming
down and at some point in the near future solar panels will become
economical for home power, at least in sunny climates.
Tim Tim is offline

On Jan 10, 7:44*pm, "Wayne.B" wrote:
On Jan 10, 6:32*pm, Tim wrote:

http://www.powerboat-world.com/usa/L...acht-crosses-A...

Looks like somebody made an ocean-goer. But I wonder how it will catch
on?

====

It's an interesting looking boat but doesn't seem all that seaworthy
to my eye. * That large horizontal deck would catch an enormous amount
of wind in a big storm and make it prone to capsize. * They
intentionally built it very light so it almost certainly has no
ballast. *Frankly I think it's the wrong application for solar power.
Serious cruisers however are using a lot of solar these days to
recharge batteries and minimize generator time. *Prices keep coming
down and at some point in the near future solar panels will become
economical for home power, at least in sunny climates.

Now that you mentioned it, Wayne, it does look more like a smooth
water boat. You're right about the catching waves and rough seas. It
jsut doesn't look built right for punishment.