Default Yo Greg!

On Mon, 22 Nov 2010 23:20:01 -0500, wrote:

On Mon, 22 Nov 2010 19:44:48 -0800,
wrote:

The issue is not he animal itself it is the fact that we have lured
them into places where they can get killed by boats and then want to
stop the boats from being there.
We just want FPL to stop luring them into the river. Just follow the
Endangered Species Act, that is all we want. They are a migratory
species and we are interfering with that migratory pattern.
It is similar to the Canada Geese that people entice into staying over
the winter and causing problems.

I guess we have no impact on how they travel then? Give me a break.

The impact we have is negative. We use artificially heated water to
lure them into places where they do not have enough to eat, they foul
the water because too many are in too small a spot (causing any number
of illnesses) and that also happens to be in the only east west
waterway in Florida.
If we were following the ESA law we would prevent FPL from dumping hot
water in the river, we would not be requiring them to do it. Then the
manatee would migrate south in the winter like they had been doing for
the last 100,000 years ... until we created warm water pools.
The reality is the high efficiency power plant we have here does not
really put much hot water in the river so we are paying them to heat
water. Why don't the global warming people get mad about that. It
increases the power plant's carbon footprint with no benefit to the
customer or the economy.
I have a gas pool heater, I know how much gas it takes to heat water.
I don't use the heater..

So all those boats are doing the right thing and running them over is
just fine.

On Tue, 23 Nov 2010 15:24:22 -0500, wrote:

wrote:

[...]

I didn't say that at all but when you attract them to the place where
the boats HAVE TO GO, some will get hit. This is the ONLY east west
route across Florida.

And, someone gunning their engine is more important than the manatee
getting to it's destination...