HarryK[_3_] HarryK[_3_] is offline

Default Yo Greg!

On 11/22/10 11:45 AM, wrote:
On Mon, 22 Nov 2010 10:16:10 -0500, wrote:

On 11/22/10 9:58 AM, Wayne.B wrote:
On Mon, 22 Nov 2010 04:56:10 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

If you cant' find anything else whatsoever to do at all, you might
enter this:

http://www.floridatoday.com/article/...test+under+way

Heh.

Those depictions of manatees as being cute, furry and cuddly are
hilarious. Unfortunately it will lead to another generation of
manatee huggers by the uninformed.

I can just see it now...the first annual manatee roundup and slaughter,
a reality TV show hosted by none other than Ms. Shoot the Wolves from an
Airplane! :)

I have no problem protecting manatee but most of what the "save the
manatee" people do actually harms them more than helping them. They
are forcing power plants to artificially heat water in the winter to
attract the manatee so the huggers can get a close up encounter that
they can drive to with great parking. Unfortunately it is polluting
the river, they don't have much to eat and you have put them in the
middle of the only east west waterway across Florida.
It is like putting a salt lick in the middle of I-95 and wondering why
so many deer get hit by cars.

The best thing we could do is follow the Endangered species act, stop
altering their natural behavior and get them used to migrating south
in the winter like they did 100 years ago.
The manatee people would not like that because the manatee population
here would decline. They wouldn't be dead, in fact less would die,
they would just be in warmer water where they belong. (manatee start
showing signs of cold stress at 70f and at 67-68f up to half may
die.)

OK...a reality TV show called "The Manatee Family...Relocates..." You'll
have to find a new hostess, though. The one I had in mind has a motto
of, when it comes to critters, "kill, kill, kill."