Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Default Squirrel meteorites

Back again to ask if anybody might shed some light on this. Standing
on my deck last night when THUD, a baby squirrel hits the decking from
a nest about 45' above, looked dead. Suddenly, THUD, THUD, two more
hit. Holy Crap, it's raining tree rat babies. All three are dead
still. Then THUD, THUD two more hit. I see movement in the nest
above but cannot see whats happening. I notice the babies are
amazingly still alive and are blinking so I gather up all 4 cats and
two dogs and put em inside. After a couple minutes, the final two get
to their feet and run down off the deck. After about 10 minutes, the
first three begin to move. One keeps looking at my daughter and then
runs to her and up her arm.
In the next hour, the final two that were less stunned go somewhere, I
think the mother may have rescued them. The three that were more
stunned we put in a box with a towel where they fell asleep. This
morning, we took em to wildlife rescue.
So, what would cause this rain of squirrel babies? Mass suicide? A
crazed squirrel mother? Maybe a snake got up there and they all
jumped out of fear?