Default Squirrel damage

I am at the very beginning of a restoration of a 1964 20' Cruisers Inc.
Model 1570 OMC 150 I/O Sea Camper Cabin Cruiser in restorable?
condition. After cleaning out the leaves and such I noticed that the
Lapstrake boards were in pretty good condition for the most part. The
transom looked in good shape and very little hook in the hull 3/16" at
the most.The trailer bunks didn't go back far enough. Most of the work
is just wood replacement on the cabin area and refinishing the painted
hull.
My question is...A squirrel or some kind of wood chewing critter has
chewed arround the nuts of the inside planks (above the waterline) in
several areas (about 20 spots) The damage looks to be through 1 or 2
plys at the most. Will I need to replace the whole piece of plywood or
will a epoxy sawdust mixture be strong enough to fill the area of about
1.5" in dia. and then replace the small #8 bolts.
That leads to one more question...Do I need to replace or re-tighten
ALL the small bolts for it to be a good boat again? The Boat had 1998
registration on it so I guess it floated then.
Oh...It does need a new steam bent oak keel, but I'll save those
questions for later. Thanks (my first post) Bud

Chris

myself, whenever there is wood and bolts, I'd double check a few to see if
they all need changing or not...
bolts in my rotted out transom appeared fine until I went to undo
them....snap... pull them out and see they didn't have anything to them
inside the wood...

I have no idea what this boat looks like.. but my experience now with
anything that has sat without proper care is you must be ready to examine
every part to judge for sure.

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Roger Derby

My experience with System Three epoxy with wood flour filler suggests that
it's as strong as the wood. If you have a particularly highly stressed
area, lay a scrap of fiberglass over the area (after filling) and apply
coats of epoxy until the weave is filled.

I don't have direct experience with other brands such as West or Raka, but
I'd expect them to be pretty much equivalent. Note that the tubes from the
hardware store don't hack it for wood repair. All epoxies start from the
same place, but the additives do make a difference in the final cured
"stuff."

Roger

http://home.earthlink.net/~derbyrm

wrote in message