Default Which Trailer Connector to Use?

I am re-wiring the trailer. I need to decide which trailer connector
(4-, 5-, 6- or 7-pole) to use. The trailer has a surge brake that is
a disc brake. The minimum requirements for the new wiring are to do
these:
Left turn signal
Right turn signal
Running lights (marker and clearance)
Brake signal
Disengage the disc brake when the car is in reverse

Optionally I would like to be able to do this:
Power an electric winch

Which trailer connector do I need to match the minimum requirement?
Which trailer connector do I need to also match the optional
requirement?

I am under the impression that as a minimum, I should use 5-pole flat
connector and use the 5-th wire to connect to the reverse circuit in
my car in order to disengage the disc brake when the car is in
reverse. But there is one thing that I don't understand: The 5-th
wire (the blue one) is supposed to be for brake. Does this mean that
I don't have any more brake light if I use the 5-th wire for reverse?
Is that 5-th wire for "electric" brake that is irrelevant to me and is
OK to use it for reverse?

If I really want to use the electric powered winch, I need to go for 6-
pole or 7-pole trailer connector, right?

Sorry if these questions are too basic. I am very surprised that I
cannot find any info about these when I "google" or "wiki". May be I
didn't use the correct key words.

By the way, my car is a 2008 Highlander that can handle up to 5000-
lbs. And my boat is 18-ft fiberglass center console weight around
2300-lbs. I am not sure if these info are relevant or not.

Thanks for any info in advance.

Jay Chan

On 8/11/10 4:45 PM, wrote:
[...]

I'll be glad to jump in here, especially since I've never had a boat
trailer with a power winch.

I've looked at several power winch/trailer setups at the local boat
ramp. When I had a 25' trailer boat, the possibility of an electric
winch intrigued me. It seems to be that the winch was hooked up to its
own plug at the back of the vehicle, and not to the trailer lights plug.
I don't see how the typical trailer lights plug could handle the amperage.

Be careful with that 5000-pound capacity. Is that 2300 pounds the total
for your boat sans engine, gas, batteries, gear? You probably have a
400-pound outboard. Gas is roughly 6.5 pounds a gallon. Batteries are 50
pounds each. And your trailer probably weighs at least 1,000 pounds.
You're damned close to the limit for your vehicles.

wrote in message
[...]

You can use a 5 pin plug. The blue wire can be hooked to your back up lights
and power a hydraulic shutoff solenoid on your surge brake.

championtrailer.com should be able to hook you up with parts and
instructions.

--
The OBAMA motto: We've got what it takes, to take what you've got!

On 8/11/10 4:59 PM, Harry wrote:

Nope. You're not Harry. You post with Microsoft Outlook Express
6.00.2900.5931.

I'm the real Harry. I post with a Mac. You can't.

"Harry (I post with a Mac, check the headers for ID spoofers who don't)"
wrote in message
news
On 8/11/10 4:59 PM, Harry wrote:

Nope. You're not Harry. You post with Microsoft Outlook Express
6.00.2900.5931.

I'm the real Harry. I post with a Mac. You can't.

Why would a man of means such as myself use one of those Mac etch a
sketches?
BTW Spent the evening with Norah Jones last night. Eat your hearts out,
boys.

Harry wrote:
"Harry (I post with a Mac, check the headers for ID spoofers who don't)"
wrote in message
news
On 8/11/10 4:59 PM, Harry wrote:

Nope. You're not Harry. You post with Microsoft Outlook Express
6.00.2900.5931.

I'm the real Harry. I post with a Mac. You can't.

Why would a man of means such as myself use one of those Mac etch a
sketches?
BTW Spent the evening with Norah Jones last night. Eat your hearts out,
boys.

I don't use a Mac, schitt for brains, I use a PC.

Must really suci to try to be me, eh?

On 8/11/10 5:34 PM, Harry (I post with a PC, check the headers for ID
spoofers who don't) wrote:
Harry wrote:
"Harry (I post with a Mac, check the headers for ID spoofers who
don't)" wrote in message
news
On 8/11/10 4:59 PM, Harry wrote:

Nope. You're not Harry. You post with Microsoft Outlook Express
6.00.2900.5931.

I'm the real Harry. I post with a Mac. You can't.

Why would a man of means such as myself use one of those Mac etch a
sketches?
BTW Spent the evening with Norah Jones last night. Eat your hearts
out, boys.

I don't use a Mac, schitt for brains, I use a PC.

Must really suci to try to be me, eh?

And there we have it...another admission that the PC-using Harry is an
ID spoofer.

wrote:
On 8/11/10 4:45 PM, wrote:
[...]

I meant to add that when I was trailering my 36' lobsta boat, I had a
pickup truck rated for an 8500-pound towing capacity. I was dammed close
to the limit on that truck.

But the truck came in damned handy when I discovered a burglar in my
garage. I was able to pin him to the wall with the truck until the
police arrived.

I remember when my father discovered a squatter in one of the boats
belonging to a customer in the marina he owned. He locked the cabin door
to the boat and left the guy in there for 4 days, if I remember
correctly. When he finally let the guy out, the guy took off faster than
Herring can tell a racist joke. My father never had a problem with that
squatter again.

I meant to add that when I was trailering my 36' lobsta boat, I had a
pickup truck rated for an 8500-pound towing capacity. I was dammed close
to the limit on that truck.

You can't be Harry...you're not posting with a mac. You're just a
****-for-brains ID spoofer.