mmc mmc is offline

Default My Marinette project

"Happy" wrote in message
news:HvSdnS2PNLI2787RnZ2dnUVZ_oydnZ2d@shawneelink. net...

"Tim" wrote in message
On Jul 30, 2:15 pm, "Happy" wrote:
"jps" wrote in message

On Thu, 29 Jul 2010 21:40:33 -0500, "Happy"
wrote:

I spent the day installing a strut bearing and then installed the strut
and
rebuilt shaft on a 30' Marinette today, had to have shims made to get
the
shaft aliened because the last owner had a bad repair with screwed up
shims
and the shaft was binding and had ben run in a bind for years, the new
owner
said he had never been able to open the throttle up with out vibration
and
now I know why, and then after a couple hours got her all buckled up
and
ready to go, the guy is going to make the Golconda to Chattanooga and
back
run down the Tennessee river. I think the Marinette is my next boat as
there
cheap and almost indestructible and I really like the direct drive and
the
cost of repair is peanuts compaired to an outdrive, but the prop and
ruder
seemed really small for a 30ft boat?, I have never worked on a
Marinette
before and getting the strut shimed right was a chore.I hate working on
houseboats with outdrives$$$ and down time.
yep I really like the old Marinette's

aligned

thanks for the correction, I commonly misspell aligned- Hide quoted
text -

I commonly missspell or mis-type a lot of words (see what I mean?)

direct drives are cool. But with good servicing, and mercruiser OD
will last quite well for quite a while.

Do you still use "lead rope" packing for your shaft seal[s]? or ahve
they done away with that now?

I'm not sure what we used Tim, I spent the whole day dealing with the
shim's, never made it top side to see. I suspect it was something updated.
By the end of the day I was beat....

I use a teflon packing. Works good, keeps the water out.

jps jps is offline

On Fri, 30 Jul 2010 19:42:44 -0500, "Happy"
wrote:

"Larry" wrote in message
m...
wrote:

[...]

Fantastic!

I'm glad you aprve Larrst, my eye sight is not what it used to be (52) and I
find myself multitasking and working in the dim light most of the time, full
time grandpaw of a 6 yr old you know, allways busy and typing fast...believe
or not I do 't really fel the ned t o spel evr word corect, heck I can' even
seee the kweys. but i try, even through my Klan regalia...what is the klan
by the way??

The Klan is Larry's peeps.
jps jps is offline

On Sat, 31 Jul 2010 07:14:32 -0500, "Happy"
wrote:

"Tim" wrote in message
On Jul 30, 7:42 pm, "Happy" wrote:

...what is the klan by the way??

If I rememebr correctly wasn't Klan the family name of some Mongolian
rulers, like Kubli, Dzsingisz, Ghengis, Ohgedei and so on?

I have a neighbor who married a Mongolian princes so she claims, she was
well educated in Russia to be a diplomat for the Mongolian government, she
says we Americans can not properly pronounce the name Ghengis Kan, We have a
hard time with her name so everybody calls here Bosco...kind of funny but
she's a great personality, and great neighbors.

Khan.
Tim Tim is offline

On Jul 31, 8:44*am, "mmc" wrote:
"Happy" wrote in message

news:HvSdnS2PNLI2787RnZ2dnUVZ_oydnZ2d@shawneelink. net...

"Tim" wrote in message

. ..

wrote:

[...]

I use a teflon packing. Works good, keeps the water out.- Hide quoted text -

The reason I asked is because my old '64 Chris Craft used a lead
impregnated rope that you packed the shaft with. It's good to know
that there is better stuff out there.