Default Would $10 million do it?

As usual, you speak from your ass. She's not a public figure.

Lemme get this straight. She's a government employee of a large agency, and
she's speaking in a public forum. Everything she says is recorded or
written down. All her actions and directives are a matter of public record.

Help me understand what you do not understand about her being a public
figure.

Or maybe you are just plain stupid. From your eloquent post, I would guess
the latter to be the case.

Steve

On 7/30/10 6:53 PM, Steve B wrote:
As usual, you speak from your ass. She's not a public figure.

Lemme get this straight. She's a government employee of a large agency, and
she's speaking in a public forum. Everything she says is recorded or
written down. All her actions and directives are a matter of public record.

Help me understand what you do not understand about her being a public
figure.

Or maybe you are just plain stupid. From your eloquent post, I would guess
the latter to be the case.

Steve

You obviously know nothing about the term "public figure" in
defamation lawsuits.

Perhaps you can get someone to explain this to you:

Public Figure is a term usually used in the context of libel and
defamation actions where the standards of proof are higher if the party
claiming defamation is a public figure and therefore has to prove
defamatory statements were made with actual malice. Harte-Hanks
Communications v. Connaughton (1989) 491 U.S. 657, 666-668.

The "public figure" issue is not cut and dried. To begin with, a fairly
high threshold of public activity is necessary to elevate a person to
public figure status, Brown v. Kelly Broadcasting Co. (1989) 48 Cal.3d
711, 745, and, as to those who are not pervasively involved in public
affairs, they must have "thrust themselves to the forefront of
particular public controversies in order to influence the resolution of
the issues involved" to be considered a "limited purpose" public figure.
Gertz v. Robert Welch, Inc. (1974) 418 U.S. 323, 345.

Ms. Sherrod was not a public figure when the video tape that was
"edited" was made. Further, there's little doubt Breitbart had "actual
malice" in mind when he defamed Ms. Sherrod.

http://www.lectlaw.com/def2/p117.htm

Now, Steve, you can slip back into your stupor.

"Harry " wrote in message
m...
On 7/30/10 6:53 PM, Steve B wrote:
[...]

Wow... nice citations. I didn't bother, because as someone once said...
"Never explain-- your friends do not need it, and your enemies
will not believe it anyway."

"nom=de=plume" wrote in message

"Harry ?" wrote in message
m...
On 7/30/10 6:53 PM, Steve B wrote:
[...]

It's hard to believe a sweet little girl like you would have enemies.

--
Me

"BAR" wrote in message
. ..
In article ,
says...

Posting a video for public consumption of a news worthy event? Sherrod
is going to be laughed out of court if the suit isn't summarily
dismissed.

This will be interesting. You must admit that cases reach trial, and
awards
are given on things that would have been dismissed with prejudiced plus
plain being laughed out of court twenty years ago. Such is modern
lawyering.

Steve

visit my blog at
http://cabgbypasssurgery.com

Everyone believes that they have the right to be compensated for being
offended.

Being compensated for being offended was never a right.

Where does it say that?

How did these people get this impression?

I don't believe I have that right, so why did you say "everyone"?

I've been offended thousands of times, and never received a dime.

Steve

In article ,
says...

"BAR" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

You are taking a generalization as a personl comment.

"Harry ?" wrote in message
"nom=de=plume" wrote in message

"Harry ?" wrote in message
m...
On 7/30/10 6:53 PM, Steve B wrote:
[...]

It's hard to imagine someone like you breathing without intervention.

"Steve B" wrote in message

"BAR" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

What planet are you from? You don't have a clue about libel or slander.