Tim Tim is offline

Default Marine grade? or salt-treated plywood?

On Jul 20, 6:14*pm, Larry wrote:
Tim wrote:
I was wondering abotu using salt-treated plywood on the Marquis deck.
I'm not a feared of paying for marine grade, but Jimmy the carpenter
told me that the newer salt treated woods are about as worthy as
marine grade at a fraction of the cost. So, what's the opinion?

I'm even wondering abotu using hybrid decking like you'd use on a
porch. synthetic mylar etc mixed with wood. The stuff is weather
resistant as all get out!

And slippery as hell. *Are you going to carpet over it? *Starboard isn't
cheap but it's another option if you are using carpet.

Lar, this stuff we used on the front porch has a simulated wood grain
in the product, it really does look like wood.

while wet and with bare feet you couldn't slip on it if you had to.

Tim wrote:
On Jul 20, 6:14 pm, wrote:

Tim wrote:

I was wondering abotu using salt-treated plywood on the Marquis deck.
I'm not a feared of paying for marine grade, but Jimmy the carpenter
told me that the newer salt treated woods are about as worthy as
marine grade at a fraction of the cost. So, what's the opinion?

I'm even wondering abotu using hybrid decking like you'd use on a
porch. synthetic mylar etc mixed with wood. The stuff is weather
resistant as all get out!

And slippery as hell. Are you going to carpet over it? Starboard isn't
cheap but it's another option if you are using carpet.

Lar, this stuff we used on the front porch has a simulated wood grain
in the product, it really does look like wood.

while wet and with bare feet you couldn't slip on it if you had to.

That's the newer stuff. The old Trex was smooth and slippery.

On Tue, 20 Jul 2010 17:19:31 -0400, wrote:

On Tue, 20 Jul 2010 12:10:34 -0700 (PDT), Tim
wrote:

I was wondering abotu using salt-treated plywood on the Marquis deck.
I'm not a feared of paying for marine grade, but Jimmy the carpenter
told me that the newer salt treated woods are about as worthy as
marine grade at a fraction of the cost. So, what's the opinion?

I'm even wondering abotu using hybrid decking like you'd use on a
porch. synthetic mylar etc mixed with wood. The stuff is weather
resistant as all get out!

I looked at everything when I decked my pontoon boat 20 years ago. We
had a Wolman plant here at the time and they offered to pressure treat
any plywood I would bring them but the guy who ran the plant said PT
really only protects it from bugs. If water is your issue, save your
money. I ended up with MDO plywood (one side) and it is still going
strong after 20 years in salt water. That is basically 7 layer
exterior grade plywood with one MDF layer. You would probably have the
same luck with BC
The main thing is to be sure everything is sealed before you put it in
and seal all penetrations. The only bad spot I have found in my
current rehab is from an unsealed penetration.
Cut all of your pieces to size, paint them on all 6 sides with 2
coats then install them. Paint it again to cover the screws. Bristol
Palin will be running for president before that plywood goes bad.

Yeah, but will it last for her eight years in office?
--

John H
mmc mmc is offline

wrote:

[...]

I worked on a sailboat once that had a PT plywood sole and where it met, the
aluminium mast was badly pitted.
I thought it may have been caused by the cyanic acid?

"mmc" wrote in message
ng.com...

wrote:

[...]

Nope, the copper is not friendly to aluminum in a wet inviroment.

mmc mmc is offline

"Califbill" wrote in message
m...

"mmc" wrote in message
ng.com...

wrote:

[...]

Is ther copper in pressure treated plywood?

"mmc" wrote in message
g.com...

"Califbill" wrote in message
m...

"mmc" wrote in message
ng.com...

wrote:

[...]

Yup. Used to be copper arsenate (CCA). Now it is a copper only solution.
http://www.strongtie.com/productuse/PTWoodFAQs.html

mmc mmc is offline

"Califbill" wrote in message
m...

"mmc" wrote in message
g.com...

"Califbill" wrote in message
m...

"mmc" wrote in message
ng.com...

wrote:

[...]

Ah galvanic action. Good reason not to butt up to, bolt or clamp to
aluminum.
Thanks.

wrote in message
On Wed, 21 Jul 2010 13:27:06 -0700, "Califbill"
wrote:

Nope, the copper is not friendly to aluminum in a wet inviroment.
Is ther copper in pressure treated plywood?

Yup. Used to be copper arsenate (CCA). Now it is a copper only solution.
http://www.strongtie.com/productuse/PTWoodFAQs.html

You can still get CCA lumber at a marine supplier.

I know, but at least here, could not find any in the San Francisco Bay area.
Maybe Oregon.

mmc mmc is offline

wrote in message
On Wed, 21 Jul 2010 13:26:01 -0400, "mmc" wrote:

Nope, the copper is not friendly to aluminum in a wet inviroment.

Is ther copper in pressure treated plywood?

That is what makes it green
Chromated Copper Arsenate

I like the green too.