Ratchet

Default Pressure treated plywood

Has anyone had any experience using pressure treated plywood for a marine
application. I'm putting a floor in an aluminium fishing boat (that will be
covered with vinyl) and I wondered if this product would do the job.

Thanks in advance

Ratchet

Ed Edelenbos

"Ratchet" wrote in message
Has anyone had any experience using pressure treated plywood for a marine
application. I'm putting a floor in an aluminium fishing boat (that will
be covered with vinyl) and I wondered if this product would do the job.

Thanks in advance

Ratchet

IME, treated plywood is pretty low grade stuff with lots of voids. It is
fine for damp environs where rot might take hold. What it is not good for
is wet applications... the glue fails like with any unpainted plywood and
one of the drawbacks of treated wood is difficulty in getting a finish to
take.

Again, my experience. YMMV

Ed

Jonathan W.

Good luck. PT plywood is a miserable material in my book. The minute the
bands are cut on a lift it starts to warp. The second a sheet is
separated from the lift, it warps more, faster.

To keep it from warping it needs to be nailed off at least as tightly as
in residential construction i.e. at 16" on center. into 2x4's.

For my 2 cents, any project on a boat involves enough effort to buy a
better material.

Use MDO if you don't want to spring for a marine ply (i use MDO in lots
of places that get painted on my boat(s).

Jonathan

--
I am building my daughter an Argie 10 sailing dinghy, check it out:
http://home.comcast.net/~jonsailr
Ron White

I don't know about using it covered with vinyl? but it is the ticket for
what you want. It good for stingers, bulkheads, floors and other boat parts
that need strength. I have used it in building consoles, leaning post and
replaced old floors in fpr boats where the original untreated ply rotted. It
is very strong but also heavy. As far as it warping as others have said,
you will find that the "kiln dried after treatment" designation is not prone
to those problems and behaves it's self. I have bought it at local lumber
yards but only a few ,if any, will have it kiln dried. There is an XL grade
(basically what I used) that is used by a number manufacturers of quality
small runabouts like Glacier Bay catamarans for structural thing like
stringers. In the cases I know of, it is encapsulated with frp lay-up. For
your floors the encapsulation might be something to consider but just
sealing would be a lot easier and lighter. If your boat is like most fishing
boats, the floor boards will get soaked from time to time and it will become
heavy and probably end up warping if you dont seal or encapsulate the wood.
Since you are lining boat, you may want to fit and fasten these floor boards
so they are removable as nasty stuff will get under them and accumulate
there. I would also suggest that you seal the wood top and bottom (and
edges) with something like clear epoxy resin and then paint the top and
apply some antiskid material.
Do a Goggle search for XL plywood and read up.
--
Ron White
Boat building web address is

Brian D

You can buy CCA treated, kiln dried, marine plywood. I'm not a fan because
kiln-dried means the wood is more brittle. Wrong answer, even if it is
glassed on both sides and "just a core". I'm afraid that more brittle might
equate to "bigger hole" if the boat strikes something...

Example of CCA treated marine plywood:

http://www.pontoonstuff.com/pontoon-...ne-plywood.asp

The outfit above guarantees the wood won't warp or rot. We'll see...

Brian D

"Ratchet" wrote in message
Has anyone had any experience using pressure treated plywood for a marine
application. I'm putting a floor in an aluminium fishing boat (that will
be covered with vinyl) and I wondered if this product would do the job.

Thanks in advance

Ratchet

Sam

The chemicals used in PT plywood under the new regulations are very
corrosive to aluminum. You might be able to isolate it at attachment
points, but if any chemicals leach out with rain or lake water and sit
in the bilge or in any nooks and crannys, who knows what it would do.
Sam

I would never put the new ACQ PT lumber in an aluminum boat, it
corrodes aluminum very fast, so does its leachate, even the older CCA
PT is corrosive. Good luck,
Jonathan