Default Things you know you may regret...

"Harry " wrote in message
On 7/14/10 3:15 PM, Harold wrote:
"Harry wrote in message
I know I am going to regret this, but.

I've decided to rip out the last sliding patio door in our house and
replace it with inward opening double French doors and double screen
doors. The part I think I will regret is that I'm convincing myself
that
I ought be the one who removes the old door and installs the new doors.
think it is just a hair beyond my carpentry capabilities, so it would be
good learning experience for me. If I do that right, why, maybe I'll
start building rowboats in my spare time!

Anyway, I ordered the doors and trimmings and I'll have about four weeks
to make up my mind before they arrive. Choice was between wood doors,
clad
wood doors, or fiberglass doors. I ordered the latter.

If you're a believer, pray for me. :)

Check your building codes re inward opening doors.

Are you alluding to some...secret? Most of the front doors I've seen
around here open inward. In fact, most hinged doors, except for screen
doors, open inward.

Flatulent is thinking of commercial establishments.

"Harry " wrote in message
I know I am going to regret this, but…

I’ve decided to rip out the last sliding patio door in our house and
replace it with inward opening double French doors and double screen
doors. The part I think I will regret is that I’m convincing myself that
I ought be the one who removes the old door and installs the new doors. I
think it is just a hair beyond my carpentry capabilities, so it would be a
good learning experience for me. If I do that right, why, maybe I’ll
start building rowboats in my spare time!

Anyway, I ordered the doors and trimmings and I’ll have about four weeks
to make up my mind before they arrive. Choice was between wood doors, clad
wood doors, or fiberglass doors. I ordered the latter.

If you're a believer, pray for me. :)

I will pray for your soul. I am continually harassed by my male friends
who claim I need either expert advice (theirs) or I should hire a
professional (again, with their consultation) when I attempt projects that
are just beyond my skill level. I am a DIY kinda person if possible. The
things I avoid are the ones where the error can be either dangerous or
expensive, e.g., more than basic car repair (spark plugs, wires, cap-rotor
on the Ford - I never touch the Benz). Also, I don't want to climb on roofs
and such. I tried my hand at tree cutting to fix a blocked access road, but
quickly realized the chainsaw (even the small one) is just too unwieldy and
thus dangerous. The cat kills most bugs, but I can get Brian to move heavy
objects if needed. :}

wrote in message
On Wed, 14 Jul 2010 14:38:01 -0400, Harry ?
wrote:

I know I am going to regret this, but.

I've decided to rip out the last sliding patio door in our house and
replace it with inward opening double French doors and double screen
doors. The part I think I will regret is that I'm convincing myself
that I ought be the one who removes the old door and installs the new
doors. I think it is just a hair beyond my carpentry capabilities, so it
would be a good learning experience for me. If I do that right, why,
maybe I'll start building rowboats in my spare time!

Anyway, I ordered the doors and trimmings and I'll have about four weeks
to make up my mind before they arrive. Choice was between wood doors,
clad wood doors, or fiberglass doors. I ordered the latter.

If you're a believer, pray for me. :)

We went with Andersen 400 Frenchwood sliders. They look like french
doors but still slide.

The real trick with anything like this is getting the rough opening
right and bucking the door in.

I have Andersen windows... energy efficient dual glass, and a similar
slider, which was custom. They're really wonderful. Worth every penny.

"Harry " wrote in message
news
On 7/14/10 3:27 PM, Harold wrote:
"Harry wrote in message
On 7/14/10 3:15 PM, Harold wrote:
"Harry wrote in message
[...]

Codes may have changed. They did in Florida. Ask Eisboch what failed and
cost him over 100k in damages.

In all the houses I've lived in, I've never had an exterior door that
opened outward, except for screen doors or storm doors. I think "crank"
windows, though, have to open outward.

Good grief... why would anyone have an outward opening door, except for a
screen door? Even trailer homes open inward. I don't think I've ever see one
that opened outward on a residential home. They only have them on commercial
property for safety issues, e.g., quick exit.

"YukonBound" wrote in message

"Harry ?" wrote in message
On 7/14/10 3:15 PM, Harold wrote:
"Harry wrote in message
[...]

I don't think so Mr. bowlegged ball licker.

On 7/14/10 4:07 PM, Harold wrote:
"Harry wrote in message
news
On 7/14/10 3:27 PM, Harold wrote:
"Harry wrote in message
On 7/14/10 3:15 PM, Harold wrote:
"Harry wrote in message
[...]

Well, *you* brought it up.

"Harry ?" wrote in message
On 7/14/10 4:07 PM, Harold wrote:
"Harry wrote in message
news
On 7/14/10 3:27 PM, Harold wrote:
"Harry wrote in message
On 7/14/10 3:15 PM, Harold wrote:
"Harry wrote in message
[...]

No sir. This is your thread. I'm just trying to point you in the right
direction, seein as how you don't have a compass of any kind.

On 7/14/10 4:58 PM, Harold wrote:
"Harry wrote in message
"Harry wrote in message
On 7/14/10 3:15 PM, Harold wrote:
"Harry wrote in message
[...]

You seem to be trying to point me towards...misinformation.

Obama too quick to regret Mike[_9_] ASA 0 July 10th 08 03:38 PM
40 things Sir Rodney Smithers General 6 November 21st 05 05:55 PM
a few things paddleORdye Whitewater 2 September 7th 05 01:43 PM
Things that BS know nothing about. John Cairns ASA 10 August 31st 04 08:50 PM
Things you just can't do without! [email protected] General 3 July 29th 04 03:14 PM