Default So while you're bickering....

"W1TEF" wrote in message
On Sat, 3 Jul 2010 07:15:04 -0700 (PDT), Jack
wrote:

On Jul 3, 9:53 am, W1TEF wrote:
On Sat, 3 Jul 2010 06:45:44 -0700 (PDT), Jack
wrote:

On Jul 3, 8:23 am, Tim wrote:
I'm headed out to the lake. That is, in a couple hours. The weather
is
gorgeous, will be about high 80's. I'll be hooking up here in a
moment, while the wife is packing the cooler.

All day affair, We won't be leaving until the lake until after the
fireworks this evening.

Plenty of fun to be had today .....

We're headed out for the boat parade at noon, then will go back out
and accross the lake to a friends house to cooks steaks and then go
out to see the fireworks on the lake this evening.

Hope everyone has a safe one!

Damn - wish I was down there.

Oh well - maybe next year.

Wave at the Ranger when you go by. :)

We're having an unbelievably beautiful 4th weekend here in SC. After
some thunderstorms earlier this week, the humidity has fallen, it'll
be down to 60 degrees tonight, and the high today is just 83 with 29%
humidity, clear and sunny with 3 - 5 mph wind.. An awesome day in SC.

Oh, and the Ranger is doing fine... I walked over and looked at it
last weekend.

Time to go!

Have fun.

Cool here in Stockton, CA for the 4th. Only 90 maybe. Normally would be
100+ for the 4th. Stockton Ports will be having fireworks after tomorrows
game. Here with the boating club and we are staying in a hotel next to the
Marina.

"Harold" wrote in message

"YukonBound" wrote in message

wrote in message

"Tim" wrote in message
On Jul 3, 9:18 am, "YukonBound" wrote:
"Tim" wrote in message

I'm headed out to the lake. That is, in a couple hours. The
weather
is
gorgeous, will be about high 80's. I'll be hooking up here in a
moment, while the wife is packing the cooler.

All day affair, We won't be leaving until the lake until after
the
fireworks this evening.

Plenty of fun to be had today .....

Our weather has been great the last couple of days... just after
all
our
naval visitors left.
At least we have the Queen Mary 2 visiting today.

Do, you gonna take the Princecraft out for a run?

I was all set to do a fleet review in it... but the two carriers
left.
Probably best to try fresh water this time.

BTW... you might be a good guy to ask....
My starter doesn't turn at all.. even with the battery charged up to
13
volts.
I get a low volume. static, crackling noise when I press the starter
button.
I can start the engine the old fashioned way with the pull cord...
but
now I'm a bit spoiled by the electric start.
This is on a 25 hp Johnson 2 stroke 2003 model.
Any advice?
Starter button is probably fried. Jumper from Batt + to Starter +
If you do it right you will get a small spark and the starter will
turn.
If you do it wrong you will weld the jumper to ground until it melts
away.

I did one test with my multi-meter... I put the red probe on the
positive
(red) side of the starter and the black (negative) against the engine
block.
As I awkwardly pressed the button, nothing registered on the volt meter.
I'll try it again when I have assistance to make sure the two probes are
held firm when the starter button (on front of the engine) is pressed.

There is going to be a relay between that switch and the starter (aka
"solenoid") Try jumpering out the 2 big terminals on that.

Suppose my battery jumper cable would be ok to use on that procedure?
I'm not sure of the current flow... or what gauge would be heavy enough
for the test.

Haven't you solved that problem yet?

I don't do my best work at night.... unless it's in
the....................... never mind.
I don't want to excite you.

YukonBound wrote:

"Larry" wrote in message

"Tim" wrote in message

[...]

Could be the solenoid, could be the starter. Can you tell (hear) if
it's engaging?

Starter doesn't do anything...all I hear is some light
crackling/static noise coming from the general area of starter button,
starter, relay?

That sounds like a failed solenoid or simply not enough power from the
battery.

[...]

That is only funny to you. Trust me...
Tim Tim is offline

"Tim" wrote in message

[...]

Don, if you get a 'crackling' noise at the switch, then it's no good.
replace it.

If you're getting a 'crackling" noise at the starter then the brushes
are stuck.

that starter is a United Technologies permanent magnet starter and
over a course of humidity build up, there's moisture in the starter
motor and the springs are probably rotted not letting the brushes
contact the armature. that's a simple fix if you have access to some
brush springs and/or a brush kit.

"Tim" wrote in message

[...]

Thanks Tim..
If the painters aren't pressure washing the house next door tomorrow (the
side facing my driveway), I'll test the start button first...and the try to
jump past the solenoid.
I may have to scramble to find the brushes & springs... although they must
be a common item at an Evinrude/Johnson dealership.

Tim Tim is offline

"Tim" wrote in message

[...]

be a common item at an Evinrude/Johnson dealership.- Hide quoted text -

Maybe, andc maybe not. If anything else you might be able to get them
at a lawnmower shop. United tech makes starters fo Kohler and a bunch
of other applications. and the kit with new springs etc are cheap, or
should be. Retail on the set shouldn't be over $10.00 USD.

Yes, If you take the solonoid and jump the two larger posts with say,
some needle-nose pliers or about anything that can cross the larger
copper contact bolts the motor ought to spin and engage that is, if
you knwo you have good quality power going to the solonoid switch on
the battery cable side. If that all works good, then the starter is
alright. I do'n't know if the Johnson/Evinrude was positive or
nevative engage, though. They used both. Anyhow, lets sat it is
positive engage, so cross the small switch terminal to the battery
cable, and if the solnoid only 'clicks' then it could be defective,
THEN cross the larger terminals and see if you can put direct power to
the starter. If it runs then solenoid could be suspect.

But with the info that Tom said, I'd be a bit suspicious of the button
switch, and spraying it with contact cleaner may help but it's not a
cure.

BTW, the companie[s] I deal with... two have canadian warehouses, and
should honor my account number. I haven't tried that yet. But
regardless If you need something that I can supply for you, my cost is
your cost. Ask Bob Puharic.

If I can help further Don, send me an email

[...]

Check the battery for corrosion and a good contact. That can cause the
problem, too.

"Larry" wrote in message
news

"Tim" wrote in message

[...]

Battery posts look like new, and I rubbed the wire leads with an abrassive.
The MinnKota runs fine so I have to assume the battery & the little fuse box
are ok.

"Tim" wrote in message

[...]

Thanks Tim.
Maybe I should check the local dealers for a new start button. We have a
few around but did lose one to fire during the February boat show.