BoatBanter.com

-   -   My weekend boating... (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/115880-my-weekend-boating.html)

Jack[_3_] June 15th 10 09:08 PM

My weekend boating...

Talk boating in a boating NG you say? Well, OK…

Boat season is wide open here in SC, and has been for some time now.
Last Friday, my wife’s parents and her brother came to visit, and we
all got in the boat and went to the Rusty Anchor, a restaurant and
marina on the NE part of the lake, for dinner. Good food, good
weather, and a nice sunset.

Saturday morning her folks went back home, but her brother stayed.
After taking care of some things around the house, the three of us hit
the lake again about 10:30 that morning. Tried out the new tube, rode
and swam, and ate some lunch we had brought with us. Middle afternoon
we went to the Dockside to listen to the band and relax for a bit, and
ran into a friend I work with that lives on the lake. Hung out a bit,
made plans for Sunday, and was tied back up at the slip around 6pm.

Sunday morning we were back on the water by 9:20am. Picked up the
friend at 10 on his dock, then the four of us headed to Spinner’s
Resort for Sunday Brunch. Crab Cake Benedict… yum, yum!! What a
great place.

http://www.spinnersresort.com/

Tying up at their dock we spotted this:

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y66/JackG/LYMANs1.jpg
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y66/JackG/LYMANs2.jpg

Bad iPhone pictures, but it was very nicely maintained, interior was
pristine. Cool boat.

We left there and headed back to my friend's cove for some skiing,
then dropped him off and headed back to our slip. We had the boat
covered and were back home by 3:30.

Whew! What a weekend. And we have to keep doing this until
October. :-

Jack[_3_] June 15th 10 09:27 PM

My weekend boating...

On Jun 15, 4:17*pm, W1TEF wrote:
On Tue, 15 Jun 2010 13:08:59 -0700 (PDT), Jack
wrote:

Tying up at their dock we spotted this:

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y66/JackG/LYMANs1.jpg
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y66/JackG/LYMANs2.jpg

I saw that boat the last time I was down there cruising around in the
area of Bomb Island - very nice boat. *Distinctive - can't miss what
it is.

Great that you got out. *The Grady is calling my name, but it looks
like we won't get down there until late July at the earliest. *I'm
bummed - no boat up here.

We need to get together for that resturant run sometime. *Dinner is on
us.

By the way, the Ranger still there? *The boys haven't been down in a
while - Ryan and wife just had twins and Chris has been mostly on
patrol and school plus the new baby. *:)

Yep... I put my eyes on it again last weekend. This time of year I'm
down there at least 2-3 times a week, so won't go missing for long
without me noticing. :-)

Make sure to let me know when you'll be here.

Harry[_6_] June 15th 10 10:02 PM

My weekend boating...

Tom is...bostless...:)

John H[_2_] June 15th 10 10:18 PM

My weekend boating...

[...]

Beautiful boat!

Hang in there. You'll make it through the summer, although it's going to be a
lot of suffering and agony.

Tim June 15th 10 10:23 PM

My weekend boating...

wrote:

[...]

Make sure to let me know when you'll be here.- Hide quoted text -

Excellent, guys! I was thinking of going this evening, but if you type
in zip code 62824 to a live weather feed you'll find out why I'm not
going to make it. We're right in the middle of getting a good raw
shelacing storm. Possible tornado warnings etc.

Wayne.B June 15th 10 10:31 PM

My weekend boating...

On Tue, 15 Jun 2010 14:23:16 -0700 (PDT), Tim
wrote:

Excellent, guys! I was thinking of going this evening, but if you type
in zip code 62824 to a live weather feed you'll find out why I'm not
going to make it. We're right in the middle of getting a good raw
shelacing storm. Possible tornado warnings etc.

Best to increase the scope ratio on that concrete block ground tackle
of yours. :-)

bpuharic June 15th 10 10:32 PM

My weekend boating...

wrote:

Talk boating in a boating NG you say? Well, OK…

Boat season is wide open here in SC, and has been for some time now.
Last Friday, my wife’s parents and her brother came to visit, and we
all got in the boat and went to the Rusty Anchor, a restaurant and
marina on the NE part of the lake, for dinner. Good food, good
weather, and a nice sunset.

a delight...i love boating...

Harry[_7_] June 15th 10 10:36 PM

My weekend boating...

On 6/15/10 5:23 PM, Tim wrote:

Excellent, guys! I was thinking of going this evening, but if you type
in zip code 62824 to a live weather feed you'll find out why I'm not
going to make it. We're right in the middle of getting a good raw
shelacing storm. Possible tornado warnings etc.

Hey...you don't live far from my first college girlfriend, a saucy gal
who married another college friend and moved, of all places, to
Hannibal, MO. They're still there. Talk about small towns...wow...but it
has its charm.

Tim June 15th 10 10:56 PM

My weekend boating...

wrote:

Excellent, guys! I was thinking of going this evening, but if you type
in zip code 62824 to a live weather feed you'll find out why I'm not
going to make it. We're right in the middle of getting a good raw
shelacing storm. Possible tornado warnings etc.

Best to increase the scope ratio on that concrete block ground tackle
of yours. * :-)

Wes, Wayne. I think I might need to re-evaluate my anchorage , like.
drive stakes and chain the pontoon to the ground!

Tim June 15th 10 10:57 PM

My weekend boating...

On Jun 15, 4:36*pm, Harry wrote:
On 6/15/10 5:23 PM, Tim wrote:

Excellent, guys! I was thinking of going this evening, but if you type
in zip code 62824 to a live weather feed you'll find out why I'm not
going to make it. We're right in the middle of getting a good raw
shelacing storm. Possible tornado warnings etc.

Hey...you don't live far from my first college girlfriend, a saucy gal
who married another college friend and moved, of all places, to
Hannibal, MO. They're still there. Talk about small towns...wow...but it
has its charm.

I'm surte my town is smaller and by ratio has even less if any charm
at all.

Harry[_5_] June 15th 10 10:57 PM

My weekend boating...

wrote:

Excellent, guys! I was thinking of going this evening, but if you type
in zip code 62824 to a live weather feed you'll find out why I'm not
going to make it. We're right in the middle of getting a good raw
shelacing storm. Possible tornado warnings etc.

Best to increase the scope ratio on that concrete block ground tackle
of yours. :-)

Wes, Wayne. I think I might need to re-evaluate my anchorage , like.
drive stakes and chain the pontoon to the ground!

Sounds...kinky...

Wear leather.

Jack[_3_] June 15th 10 11:36 PM

My weekend boating...

wrote:

[...]

It's been hot and dry here for the last couple of weeks, but today
we're getting some rain and wind. It cooled things down, but starting
tomorrow we're back on track to hot and dry again for a while. I'll
send some your way. :-)

Tim June 16th 10 01:00 AM

My weekend boating...

On Jun 15, 5:36*pm, Jack wrote:
On Jun 15, 5:23*pm, Tim wrote:

wrote:

[...]

We're supposed to get another "flush" tomorrow too!

I am Tosk June 16th 10 05:52 AM

My weekend boating...

In article 3aebfa00-bb36-47b3-98be-d2bebf385414
@w31g2000yqb.googlegroups.com, says...

wrote:

[...]

Pansy... There, I said it for Tom;)

--
Rowdy Mouse Racing - We race for cheese!

Bill McKee June 16th 10 06:36 AM

My weekend boating...

"Tim" wrote in message
On Jun 15, 5:36 pm, Jack wrote:
On Jun 15, 5:23 pm, Tim wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Me? Went to Kings Canyon and Sequoia Nat'l Parks for a couple days. Rivers
are too high and gnarly for any boating. 103 degrees yesterday in Fresno.
Get home to 65 degree weather. May go halibut fishing this weekend.

mmc June 16th 10 03:00 PM

My weekend boating...

wrote:

Excellent, guys! I was thinking of going this evening, but if you type
in zip code 62824 to a live weather feed you'll find out why I'm not
going to make it. We're right in the middle of getting a good raw
shelacing storm. Possible tornado warnings etc.

Best to increase the scope ratio on that concrete block ground tackle
of yours. :-)

Wes, Wayne. I think I might need to re-evaluate my anchorage , like.
drive stakes and chain the pontoon to the ground!
--------
If you were alot closer I'd drop off one of my spare danforths!

Wayne.B June 16th 10 03:56 PM

My weekend boating...

On Wed, 16 Jun 2010 10:00:30 -0400, "mmc" wrote:

wrote:

Excellent, guys! I was thinking of going this evening, but if you type
in zip code 62824 to a live weather feed you'll find out why I'm not
going to make it. We're right in the middle of getting a good raw
shelacing storm. Possible tornado warnings etc.

Best to increase the scope ratio on that concrete block ground tackle
of yours. :-)

Wes, Wayne. I think I might need to re-evaluate my anchorage , like.
drive stakes and chain the pontoon to the ground!
--------

If you were alot closer I'd drop off one of my spare danforths!

They sometimes show up at garage sales at very low prices. I bought
one for the dinghy for something like $5, chain included.

Screw anchors work just fine for protecting it on land.

Tim June 16th 10 04:52 PM

My weekend boating...

On Jun 16, 10:35*am, W1TEF wrote:
On Wed, 16 Jun 2010 10:56:23 -0400, Wayne.B

wrote:

Excellent, guys! I was thinking of going this evening, but if you type
in zip code 62824 to a live weather feed you'll find out why I'm not
going to make it. We're right in the middle of getting a good raw
shelacing storm. Possible tornado warnings etc.

Best to increase the scope ratio on that concrete block ground tackle
of yours. :-)

Wes, Wayne. I think I might need to re-evaluate my anchorage , like.
drive stakes *and chain the pontoon to the ground!
--------

If you were alot closer I'd drop off one of my spare danforths!

They sometimes show up at garage sales at very low prices. *I bought
one for the dinghy for something like $5, chain included.

Screw anchors work just fine for protecting it on land.

~~ snerk ~~

Wayne said screw... *:)- Hide quoted text -

Now that you mention it, tom. In a way I agree. Screw anchors! where I
go a concrete block on nylon rope works just fine.

?;^ Q

mmc June 17th 10 12:54 AM

My weekend boating...

wrote:

Excellent, guys! I was thinking of going this evening, but if you type
in zip code 62824 to a live weather feed you'll find out why I'm not
going to make it. We're right in the middle of getting a good raw
shelacing storm. Possible tornado warnings etc.

Best to increase the scope ratio on that concrete block ground tackle
of yours. :-)

Wes, Wayne. I think I might need to re-evaluate my anchorage , like.
drive stakes and chain the pontoon to the ground!
--------

If you were alot closer I'd drop off one of my spare danforths!

They sometimes show up at garage sales at very low prices. I bought
one for the dinghy for something like $5, chain included.

Screw anchors work just fine for protecting it on land.

I haven't seen much boat stuff at yard sales for quite a while now. Think
people are holding on rather than replacing?
Used to be able to pick up a couple after a nice weekend when we dove the
wrecks on this side ("Lead" and "Dutch" wrecks). One dive we got 2 anchors
and 2 Hawaiian slings, couple grouper and a cobia.
Another dive, got skunked for fish but it was very clear and got to hang
with a manta that was over 10' wide. too cool.

Wayne.B June 17th 10 02:27 AM

My weekend boating...

On Wed, 16 Jun 2010 19:54:04 -0400, "mmc" wrote:

Another dive, got skunked for fish but it was very clear and got to hang
with a manta that was over 10' wide. too cool.

We have seen a couple of big ones go "flying by" down in the Bahamas.
They are very interesting to watch once you get over the initial
surprise.

Tim June 17th 10 02:40 AM

My weekend boating...

On Jun 16, 8:27*pm, Wayne.B wrote:
On Wed, 16 Jun 2010 19:54:04 -0400, "mmc" wrote:
Another dive, got skunked for fish but it was very clear and got to hang
with a manta that was over 10' wide. too cool.

We have seen a couple of big ones go "flying by" down in the Bahamas.
They are very interesting to watch once you get over the initial
surprise.

I've heard they get bigger (wider) than 10' too!

mmc June 17th 10 07:26 PM

My weekend boating...

"Tim" wrote in message
On Jun 16, 8:27 pm, Wayne.B wrote:
On Wed, 16 Jun 2010 19:54:04 -0400, "mmc" wrote:
Another dive, got skunked for fish but it was very clear and got to hang
with a manta that was over 10' wide. too cool.

We have seen a couple of big ones go "flying by" down in the Bahamas.
They are very interesting to watch once you get over the initial
surprise.

I've heard they get bigger (wider) than 10' too!
------
The one I swam with was passing right over me when I noticed it, got kinda
dark pretty quick. From right underneath, and not expecting it, it looked
friggin enormous!
During a swim on a sub in Port Canaveral, I came from underneath up to the
leading edge of a stern plane and nose to nose with a nurse shark that was
laying on the plane.
Funny, when that happens, I don't think "oh, it's just a nurse shark", I
think "OH SH*T, IT"S A SHARK!!!!"
My funniest diving memory was when working R&D on a mine sweeper and my dive
buddy and I were setting markers for the ship to run thru. We used pole
anchors (screw in like you're talking about for securing your pontoon on
land) screwed into the bottom on the Bahama bank and had to adjust the slack
out of the bouy lines. I was just hanging out and my buddy was tying off the
slack when a remora came up and tried to attach itself to my buddy's ass. I
was really sorry I didn't have a camera......
We used the screw in anchors because the bank where we were was about an
inch of sand on a shelf of old reef with sand filled holes in the shelf.
We'd tried cinder blocks but wave action would lift them off the bottom and
they would "walk" out of position.

Jim June 17th 10 10:32 PM

My weekend boating...

mmc wrote:
"Tim" wrote in message
On Jun 16, 8:27 pm, Wayne.B wrote:
[...]

You might destroy this group with all this trash talk of interesting
personal experience.
Thanks.

Jim - Who does this guy think he is writing good stuff here?

Jack[_3_] June 18th 10 03:27 AM

My weekend boating...

On Jun 17, 5:32*pm, Jim wrote:
mmc wrote:
"Tim" wrote in message
On Jun 16, 8:27 pm, Wayne.B wrote:
[...]

It's all made up. Next thing you know he'll be single-handing it
around the horn. :-)

Harry[_7_] June 18th 10 12:38 PM

My weekend boating...

On 6/18/10 6:16 AM, W1TEF wrote:
On Thu, 17 Jun 2010 19:27:09 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

On Jun 17, 5:32 pm, wrote:
mmc wrote:
wrote in message
On Jun 16, 8:27 pm, wrote:
On Wed, 16 Jun 2010 19:54:04 -0400, wrote:
[...]

In a twelve foot row boat escorted by a pod of orcas.

Not nearly as adventurous as having to drive 800 miles to get to your
trailerboats. Who would be dumb enough to do that? :)

Tim June 18th 10 06:56 PM

My weekend boating...

wrote:

On Jun 17, 5:32 pm, *wrote:
mmc wrote:
*wrote in message
On Jun 16, 8:27 pm, *wrote:
[...]

trailerboats. Who would be dumb enough to do that? * :)- Hide quoted text -

Me, if rthe value was right. I went about 350 mi. one way to get my
Marquis. Good boat almost dirt cheap. a great value and worth the trip.

Harry[_5_] June 18th 10 07:04 PM

My weekend boating...

wrote:

On Jun 17, 5:32 pm, wrote:
mmc wrote:
wrote in message
On Jun 16, 8:27 pm, wrote:
[...]

There's a difference between driving a distance to buy a boat and
driving twice that distance to visit a boat you already own.

Tim June 18th 10 09:01 PM

My weekend boating...

On Jun 18, 1:04*pm, Harry wrote:
On 6/18/10 1:56 PM, Tim wrote:

wrote:

On Jun 17, 5:32 pm, * *wrote:
mmc wrote:
* *wrote in message
On Jun 16, 8:27 pm, * *wrote:
[...]

driving twice that distance to visit a boat you already own.- Hide quoted text -

Even then, it depends on what you want. My bro-in-law lived in
northern IL. and kept some kind of a tri-axled Baja, Eliminator, or
some kind of a shiny go-faster on the Lake of the Ozarks. He and his
wife would drive from north of Peoria to a rented cabin there at least
once a month. I couldn't do that, but they could afford it.

so.....

Harry[_5_] June 18th 10 09:09 PM

My weekend boating...

On 6/18/10 4:01 PM, Tim wrote:
On Jun 18, 1:04 pm, wrote:
On 6/18/10 1:56 PM, Tim wrote:

wrote:

On Jun 17, 5:32 pm, wrote:
mmc wrote:
wrote in message
On Jun 16, 8:27 pm, wrote:
[...]

Well, that's more frequently than tom visits his boats.

Tim June 18th 10 09:12 PM

My weekend boating...

On Jun 18, 3:09*pm, Harry wrote:
On 6/18/10 4:01 PM, Tim wrote:

On Jun 18, 1:04 pm, *wrote:
On 6/18/10 1:56 PM, Tim wrote:

wrote:

On Jun 17, 5:32 pm, * * *wrote:
mmc wrote:
* * *wrote in message
On Jun 16, 8:27 pm, * * *wrote:
[...]

Well, that's more frequently than tom visits his boats.- Hide quoted text -

I can't speak for him, but I would imagine that will change in the
near future. Besides, I abelieve his kids have plenty of acccess to
them so the could be his proxy.

Harry[_5_] June 18th 10 09:15 PM

My weekend boating...

On 6/18/10 4:12 PM, Tim wrote:
On Jun 18, 3:09 pm, wrote:
On 6/18/10 4:01 PM, Tim wrote:

On Jun 18, 1:04 pm, wrote:
On 6/18/10 1:56 PM, Tim wrote:

wrote:

On Jun 17, 5:32 pm, wrote:
mmc wrote:
wrote in message
On Jun 16, 8:27 pm, wrote:
[...]

Whatever. At one point, I thought it hard to imagine Tom living in South
Carolina, but...these days, I think it suits him to a tee.

Tim June 18th 10 09:59 PM

My weekend boating...

On Jun 18, 3:15*pm, Harry wrote:
On 6/18/10 4:12 PM, Tim wrote:

On Jun 18, 3:09 pm, *wrote:
On 6/18/10 4:01 PM, Tim wrote:

On Jun 18, 1:04 pm, * *wrote:
On 6/18/10 1:56 PM, Tim wrote:

wrote:

On Jun 17, 5:32 pm, * * * *wrote:
mmc wrote:
* * * *wrote in message
On Jun 16, 8:27 pm, * * * *wrote:
[...]

Carolina, but...these days, I think it suits him to a tee.- Hide quoted text -

Whatever. I could see me living there. It's very beautiful. a lot
nicer than the flatlands of nowhere that I'm living in now.

Harry[_5_] June 18th 10 10:05 PM

My weekend boating...

On 6/18/10 4:59 PM, Tim wrote:

Whatever. At one point, I thought it hard to imagine Tom living in South
Carolina, but...these days, I think it suits him to a tee.- Hide quoted text -

Whatever. I could see me living there. It's very beautiful. a lot
nicer than the flatlands of nowhere that I'm living in now.

Coastal south carolina has its charms, but the state is still fighting
the civil war, and the racism is overt and really ugly. At one point a
few years ago, we were considering buying a small condo at hilton head
island, which we like, but we decided the state was just too politically
backwards for us.

Tim June 18th 10 10:59 PM

My weekend boating...

On Jun 18, 4:05*pm, Harry wrote:
On 6/18/10 4:59 PM, Tim wrote:

Whatever. At one point, I thought it hard to imagine Tom living in South
Carolina, but...these days, I think it suits him to a tee.- Hide quoted text -

Whatever. I could see me living there. It's very beautiful. a lot
nicer than the flatlands of nowhere that I'm living in now.

Coastal south carolina has its charms, but the state is still fighting
the civil war, and the racism is overt and really ugly. At one point a
few years ago, we were considering buying a small condo at hilton head
island, which we like, but we decided the state was just too politically
backwards for us.

Everything you see is what you want it to be, Harry.

Harry[_5_] June 18th 10 11:06 PM

My weekend boating...

On 6/18/10 5:59 PM, Tim wrote:
On Jun 18, 4:05 pm, wrote:
On 6/18/10 4:59 PM, Tim wrote:

Whatever. At one point, I thought it hard to imagine Tom living in South
Carolina, but...these days, I think it suits him to a tee.- Hide quoted text -

Whatever. I could see me living there. It's very beautiful. a lot
nicer than the flatlands of nowhere that I'm living in now.

Coastal south carolina has its charms, but the state is still fighting
the civil war, and the racism is overt and really ugly. At one point a
few years ago, we were considering buying a small condo at hilton head
island, which we like, but we decided the state was just too politically
backwards for us.

Everything you see is what you want it to be, Harry.

I see no reason to live in or otherwise financially support a state
where many of the officials are racists, corrupt, and backwards. When we
drive the interstate to Florida, we gas up the car in North Carolina or
Georgia so we don't have to stop and spend a buck in South Carolina. To
me, South Carolina is the modern-day equivalent of the old Mississippi
and Alabama.

mmc June 19th 10 12:20 AM

My weekend boating...

"Jack" wrote in message
On Jun 17, 5:32 pm, Jim wrote:
mmc wrote:
"Tim" wrote in message
On Jun 16, 8:27 pm, Wayne.B wrote:
[...]

-----------
Haha!
Nope, used to be a young, dumb........Navy EOD Diver and got a fun job doing
interesting things at CCAFS after I got out.
Don't have the imagination to be one of those "NG Pros"! No long passages
(except USN ships) no fireboats, etc, etc.....

Jack[_3_] June 19th 10 01:10 AM

My weekend boating...

On Jun 18, 5:59*pm, Tim wrote:
On Jun 18, 4:05*pm, Harry wrote:

On 6/18/10 4:59 PM, Tim wrote:

Whatever. At one point, I thought it hard to imagine Tom living in South
Carolina, but...these days, I think it suits him to a tee.- Hide quoted text -

Whatever. I could see me living there. It's very beautiful. a lot
nicer than the flatlands of nowhere that I'm living in now.

Coastal south carolina has its charms, but the state is still fighting
the civil war, and the racism is overt and really ugly. At one point a
few years ago, we were considering buying a small condo at hilton head
island, which we like, but we decided the state was just too politically
backwards for us.

Everything you see is what you want it to be, Harry.

It seems the only one still fighting the Civil War is harry. Funny
how he says he spends no time here, but thinks he knows what it's
like. No matter, SC is much better off with him being very afraid of
it. We definitely don't like narcissist yankee assholes down here.
This paradise is already getting crowded.

You'd be welcome anytime, Tim.

Larry[_21_] June 19th 10 01:45 AM

My weekend boating...

wrote:

On Jun 17, 5:32 pm, wrote:

mmc wrote:

wrote in message
On Jun 16, 8:27 pm, wrote:

[...]

Don's got one of those!

Larry[_21_] June 19th 10 01:55 AM

My weekend boating...

Harry wrote:
On 6/18/10 4:01 PM, Tim wrote:
On Jun 18, 1:04 pm, wrote:
On 6/18/10 1:56 PM, Tim wrote:

On Jun 18, 6:38 am, wrote:
On 6/18/10 6:16 AM, W1TEF wrote:

On Thu, 17 Jun 2010 19:27:09 -0700 (PDT),

wrote:

On Jun 17, 5:32 pm, wrote:
mmc wrote:
wrote in message

wrote:
[...]

Why did you feel the need to move a simple conversation off-track and
attack an innocent bystander?

Larry[_21_] June 19th 10 01:58 AM

My weekend boating...

Harry wrote:
On 6/18/10 4:12 PM, Tim wrote:
On Jun 18, 3:09 pm, wrote:
On 6/18/10 4:01 PM, Tim wrote:

On Jun 18, 1:04 pm, wrote:
On 6/18/10 1:56 PM, Tim wrote:

On Jun 18, 6:38 am, wrote:
On 6/18/10 6:16 AM, W1TEF wrote:

On Thu, 17 Jun 2010 19:27:09 -0700 (PDT),

wrote:

On Jun 17, 5:32 pm, wrote:
mmc wrote:
wrote in message

wrote:
[...]

Does your life really revolve around other people's decisions and
choices? Sad...