Tim Tim is offline

Default boat over hearting

On Jun 11, 12:43*pm, jamesgangnc wrote:

I'm not really so familiar with the volvoes but I agree about taking a
look at the exhaust bellows between the transom plate and the
outdrive. *Gettng overheated may have damaged it. *Also if you saw a
lot of air in the clear line that does suggest you have a problem
somewhere in the supply to the pump. *Again I don't know exactly how
the volves do it but if the pickup is in the outdrive then there has
to be a number of places it could be messed up. *I'd guess by turnign
the drive hard to one side or anoher you should be able to find a hose
form the outdrive to the transom plate. *Check that. *If the exhaust
has burned theorugh the bellows maybe it has damaged that hose as
well. *There will also be a hose from the transom plate up to the raw
water pump. *Any place with damage or a loose connection will show you
the problem. *Might be worth trying to pressurize it a bit using the
muffs with the engine off in the driveway. *Use the hose water
pressure and then examine everywhere to see if water is leaking out
somewhere between the muffs and the raw water pump.

I'm not familiar with Volvo's either, But I was wondering if the
bellows was damaged, wouldn't the boat be taking on water at a stand
still? Mercruisers are beknown to do that I think.

"Tim" wrote in message
[...]

No. not the exhaust bellows.

On Jun 11, 2:37*pm, "Moose" wrote:
"Tim" wrote in message

[...]

No. not the exhaust bellows.- Hide quoted text -

No, mercs don't either. In fact one of the merc setups is a tube, not
a bellows and it is not even fastened to the outdrive. The exhaust is
open to the water at the end anyway.

Hey Justin, any further news? Find it yet? The earlier poster is
right, you don't want to run around much at those temps. It will
damage things.

s m s m is offline

I just dropped the boat off at a four winns dealership yesterday, so
we'll see what they can find. When I turned the outdrive all the way
to one side you can get a good look at the bellows. and there is two.
The one on top had a hole the diameter of a pencil in it. Plus there
is a hose that is for the bringing the coolant into the engine and
that looks pretty old, so they are gonna replace both. I wil give you
more updates as I get some news
Thanks
Justin
Tim Tim is offline

On Jun 18, 1:14*pm, s m wrote:
I just dropped the boat off at a four winns dealership yesterday, so
we'll see what they can find. When I turned the outdrive all the way
to one side you can get a good look at the bellows. and there is two.
The one on top had a hole the diameter of a pencil in it. Plus there
is a hose that is for the bringing the coolant into the engine and
that looks pretty old, so they are gonna replace both. I wil give you
more updates as I get some news
Thanks
Justin

Thanks, Justin. It sounds like a plan. Yes, keep us informed.

Thanks!

Default boat over heating

On Jun 18, 2:14*pm, s m wrote:
I just dropped the boat off at a four winns dealership yesterday, so
we'll see what they can find. When I turned the outdrive all the way
to one side you can get a good look at the bellows. and there is two.
The one on top had a hole the diameter of a pencil in it. Plus there
is a hose that is for the bringing the coolant into the engine and
that looks pretty old, so they are gonna replace both. I wil give you
more updates as I get some news
Thanks
Justin

Again based on my merc experience the top bellows is the input shaft
connecting the engine to outdrive. You really don't want water in
that as it will cause all sorts of damage. But it should not ahve
anything to do with your overheating.

The lower bellows is probably the exhaust. I'd make sure that the
dealer checks that out closely as well. On the mercs if you do any of
it you usually do it all, both bellows, water hose, and shifter
bellows. I think the volves shift at the top but I don't know if they
have a small bellows for a shift cable or not.

Your boat is not all that old for them to go bad (some mercs last 20
years easy) so again I'd try to make sure that the overheating is
resolved. Hot exhaust will damage the various rubber parts pretty
quickly. You should not use the boat until you can keep the water
temp well below 200. 160 is usually the higher thermostat on boats.
Not to mention there is the possibilty of other engine damage from
cooling problems.
Tim Tim is offline

On Jun 21, 10:00*am, jamesgangnc wrote:
On Jun 18, 2:14*pm, s m wrote:

[...]

Agreed.

One thing the dealership should do after replacing th bad parts, is to
muff it and let it run to see if the temp will be satisfactory.
Nothing like taking anything out after parts are changed to find that
it didn't cure the problem.

seen it before.

ok, got the boat back from the dealerhsip. The total came to 467. He
took the outdrive off, and replaced the bellow that had the hole in
it. He said that the universal was rusted and he replaced that but
said the gimbal joints were fine. He also took the lower unit off and
replaced the line that takes the water from the intake holes on the
outdrive up to the engine. My brother picked up the boat for me and
went to the lake yesterday and said that he was able to run it at 4k
rpms with no issues of heat. said it never got above 130. so my
problem that I have had for years now is finally fixed. I was about to
send my gauge cluster off to be rebuilt, becuase I was told they have
a history of reading hot when the engine isn't actually overheating.
Sure am glad i didnt' do that and waste money on something that isn't
broken. Thank you to everyone who gave me advice.
Justin
Tim Tim is offline

On Jul 18, 1:09*pm, J wrote:
[...]

Glad you got it fixed and thanks for the report.