Default Anyone use dry ice for a refrigerator?

In article ,
says...

On Mar 20, 8:24*am, hk wrote:
On 3/20/10 10:16 AM, Tim wrote:

On Mar 19, 6:10 pm, *wrote:
On 3/19/10 6:05 PM, Tim wrote:

May sound silly, but I wonder if it's done? In my thinking of the
'cruise' I'd like to get out of hte idea of coolers packed with frozen
water. I know that small friges are available but I dont' really have
the space for that on my boat. The 12.v reefers can pull a lot of
current which I can make the power easily enough, but they ARE
expensive! *then there's the cheap 120 v ones which can use I can use
an inverter to run, but they don't cool quickly and seem to run a lot
for no more benefit then I think I'd get. Then theres the refrigerated
coolers that run off a cigarette lighter socket but they only cool
down a little less than the outside temp which isn't much.

Drawbacks? Finding a container that would hold it without cracking,
and regulating the evaporating rate to get some kind of consistant
temperature. And *it's volitile as far as handling it goes. "instant
frost bite" if it contacts skin. But I've worked with it in the past
and tongs work great for it. One advantage is that it evaporates to
nothing leaving only condensed humidity behind.

There is a local company that uses dry ice and they sell it resonably.
So instead of having sadwich material floating around in ice water, I
thought though far fetched, this might be a decent idea.

But I also realize that if it could be done easily, then everybody
would be using it.

Besides saying "forget it!" Anyone have any ideas about it or know of
a website that tells about how it can be done?

Once in a while I order some "beouf" from Omaha Steaks...comes packed in
a Styrofoam cooler with dry ice. The foam cooler seems not to suffer by
its housing the dry ice.

--

If the X-MimeOLE "header" doesn't say:

Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10.6; en-US; rv:1.9.1.8)
Gecko/20100227 Thunderbird/3.0.3 (or higher)

then it isn't me, it's an ID spoofer.- Hide quoted text -

It think it was the website that I posted said somethign about a
styrofome box.

When you said ordering Omaha steaks in a styrofoam box, I had to
chuckle, because there is a large hog farm *in this locale that orders
pig semen from somewhere else, and it's shipped the same way. via UPS.

We have a friend out in Virginia who "arranges" matches for horses, and
the "stud syrup" arrives the same way.

--

If the X-MimeOLE "header" doesn't say:

Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10.6; en-US; rv:1.9.1.8)
Gecko/20100227 Thunderbird/3.0.3 (or higher)

then it isn't me, it's an ID spoofer.- Hide quoted text -

Yeah. And the guys that work thre save the coolers and go camping. Oh,
there's nothing wrong with them. I suppose it's just the thought of
what was origionaly in hem that makes me shirk the idea. But they ARE
sturdier than the cheap stuff you get at the gas station.

We used to get thick Styrofoam coolers when we kept tropical fish. The guy at
the store gave them to us, they use them to ship the live fish. They are very
thick compared to the little coolers you buy in the local gas and go..

Scotty

--
Rowdy Mouse Racing, no crybabies!
Tim Tim is offline

On Mar 20, 10:32*am, I am Tosk
wrote:
In article ,
says...

On Mar 20, 8:24*am, hk wrote:
On 3/20/10 10:16 AM, Tim wrote:

On Mar 19, 6:10 pm, *wrote:
On 3/19/10 6:05 PM, Tim wrote:

[...]

Rowdy Mouse Racing, no crybabies!- Hide quoted text -

Yep, that's what these are, and I can get all of them I want, but
they're a bit small. I suppose I could use four of them, but ....

On Sat, 20 Mar 2010 12:32:36 -0400, I am Tosk
wrote:

In article ,
says...

On Mar 20, 8:24*am, hk wrote:
On 3/20/10 10:16 AM, Tim wrote:

On Mar 19, 6:10 pm, *wrote:
On 3/19/10 6:05 PM, Tim wrote:

[...]

So it was you who put the snakeheads in the Potomac?
--
John H

For a great time, go here first... http://tinyurl.com/ygqxs5v
Tim Tim is offline

On Mar 20, 9:41*am, hk wrote:
On 3/20/10 11:33 AM, Tim wrote:

On Mar 20, 8:24 am, *wrote:
On 3/20/10 10:16 AM, Tim wrote:

On Mar 19, 6:10 pm, * *wrote:
On 3/19/10 6:05 PM, Tim wrote:

[...]

Hey, it's pedigreed pig semen...what could go wrong?

I have a vague memory of using dry ice in one of my igloo boat coolers
once. I don't recall there were problems...the igloo liner didn't crack.

--

If the X-MimeOLE "header" doesn't say:

Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10.6; en-US; rv:1.9.1.8)
Gecko/20100227 Thunderbird/3.0.3 (or higher)

then it isn't me, it's an ID spoofer.- Hide quoted text -

Oh, that's true, and it's all neatly packaged inside so the
'syrup'never contacts the styrofoam. But they're only about a cubic
foot inside. A bit inconvenient as far as sizes goes, but they could
be tucked away in various places in the boat.

The instructions on the website say to put the dry in first then cover
with 'wet' ice, and it will freeze the 'wet' even harder and not allow
the 'dry' to evaporate as easily. So, stuff stays colder longer
without having lunch meat packages floating around. But just the
coolant would take up a lot of room in such a small package.

In article ,
says...

On Mar 20, 10:32*am, I am Tosk
wrote:
In article ,
says...

On Mar 20, 8:24*am, hk wrote:
On 3/20/10 10:16 AM, Tim wrote:

On Mar 19, 6:10 pm, *wrote:
On 3/19/10 6:05 PM, Tim wrote:

[...]

Yes, they are small for sure, about 50/50 for space vs insulation. Why not make
your own with Styrofoam and maybe fiberglass?

Scotty

On Sat, 20 Mar 2010 09:49:27 -0700 (PDT), Tim wrote:

On Mar 20, 9:41*am, hk wrote:
On 3/20/10 11:33 AM, Tim wrote:

On Mar 20, 8:24 am, *wrote:
On 3/20/10 10:16 AM, Tim wrote:

On Mar 19, 6:10 pm, * *wrote:
On 3/19/10 6:05 PM, Tim wrote:

[...]

If you'd learn to eat salted eel, you wouldn't need to worry about ice. And, you
could get enough in one cooler to last you and your wife at least a month.

Yum, salted eel and crackers. What a great way to lose a few pounds.

On Mar 20, 9:41*am, hk wrote:
On 3/20/10 11:33 AM, Tim wrote:

On Mar 20, 8:24 am, *wrote:
On 3/20/10 10:16 AM, Tim wrote:

On Mar 19, 6:10 pm, * *wrote:
On 3/19/10 6:05 PM, Tim wrote:

[...]

Shall I barf now, or later?
Tim Tim is offline

On Mar 20, 1:13*pm, I am Tosk wrote:
In article ,
says...

On Mar 20, 10:32*am, I am Tosk
wrote:
In article ,
says...

On Mar 20, 8:24*am, hk wrote:
On 3/20/10 10:16 AM, Tim wrote:

On Mar 19, 6:10 pm, *wrote:
On 3/19/10 6:05 PM, Tim wrote:

[...]

I would and could, but the wife wouldn't go for it.

On Mar 20, 9:41*am, hk wrote:
On 3/20/10 11:33 AM, Tim wrote:

On Mar 20, 8:24 am, *wrote:
On 3/20/10 10:16 AM, Tim wrote:

On Mar 19, 6:10 pm, * *wrote:
On 3/19/10 6:05 PM, Tim wrote:

[...]

Have you ever tried 'em? Didn't think so.

Either have I, but the catfish in the Potomac River channel go for them pretty
well. They can't be *too* bad.

On Mar 20, 9:41*am, hk wrote:
On 3/20/10 11:33 AM, Tim wrote:

On Mar 20, 8:24 am, *wrote:
On 3/20/10 10:16 AM, Tim wrote:

On Mar 19, 6:10 pm, * *wrote:
On 3/19/10 6:05 PM, Tim wrote:

[...]

Well if that's all I had to eat was eel, I 'd lose a few lb. anyhow.
I'm sure people eat the things,and Garr too, but ech! Just the thought
to me is repulsive!