Lloyd Sumpter

Default The Tale of the 200-lb Burl

My Lady wanted a nice piece of driftwood to put in the snake's new
habitat. We talked to a native in Lund who said there was lots of drift-
wood on Harwood Island (an Indian Reservation) and we could take whatever
we wanted. Only problem was, there's no real anchorage or shelter at the
island.

We found a likely-looking spit with lots of driftwood, and anchored nearby.
(Flash Quiz: water was 24ft where I dropped anchor, I pulled back into
water that varied between 20ft and 40ft depending on how I swung, and had
16 fathoms of rode out. What was my scope?) Wind was light at the time, but
forecast was increasing Westerlies until 30knots by evening. I told
Angelique that she had ONE HOUR to find something, then we had to leave if
we wanted to get to safe harbour by evening. She set off in Near Cove with
the electric motor.

Two hours later, wind was up to 15 knots or so, and waves were building
past a 1ft chop. She returned, and said she'd found the Perfect Burl, but
it was too heavy for her to handle. I decided to get the burl and worry about
what harbour we went to later (There were two close by, but one was a dirty
public dock next to a pulp mill, and the other was on a VERY windy point).
I hopped in the dinghy and headed out.

When I got to the beach, I discovoured that it was COVERED with oysters. Not
a bad thing if I had shoes, which I didn't. Hot-footed it over the sharp
shells to the burl, and soon discovoured that it was going to take more than
a few minutes: there was no way I could lift it! I slowly rolled it down the
beach. At one point, I noticed that the tide seems to have changed (it was
still flowing like an ebb at the boat, but the water was rising!) and Near
Cove was in danger of floating away. I hot-footed back down the beach, secured
the dinghy, and hot-footed back to the burl.

By now my feet were sore, cut and bleeding, but I continued rolling the
burl down the beach. It was personal now: There was no way the burl was
gonna get the better of me! Finally, with thoughts of "I REALLY hope this
is the right burl!" and "Gee, I hope this floats!", I got it into the water.

Quickly, I got into the dinghy and tied a stern line to the burl. Full
throttle on the electric! Slowly the burl started following, and we made
our way back to the boat: an 80-lb dinghy with a 30-lb thrust Minn Kota
pulling a 200-lb burl in 20knot winds and a 2-ft chop (fortunately on the
stern!). Yes, I was wearing a PFD! I made it to Far Cove where Angelique was
waiting. Under my instruction, she pulled down the main halyard so I could
hook it onto the burl. Once the burl was secure, I got Near Cove back to the
Far Cove's stern and got aboard.

We pulled up the burl and secured it on deck, then Angelique had to "man"
the helm and give me some engine while I reeled in the anchor. The trusty
CQR had held fine, but I had to use the wave action to break it free from
the bottom. Finally free, we headed off downwind and away from the shoal.

We'd spent too much time there to make the quiet bay, so we settled for
Grief Point Marina - secure, but open to the wind. The night was bumpy and
windy, but safe.

Back at our marina, we again used the main halyard to get the burl off the
boat onto the handcart, and both of us together managed to lift it into the
van. We rolled it out at home, and it's now sitting in the carport, awaiting
Angelique's chainsaw surgery...

Lloyd Sumpter
"Far Cove" Catalina 36
"Near Cove" Walker Bay 8

Greg O

"Lloyd Sumpter" wrote in message
news
My Lady wanted a nice piece of driftwood to put in the snake's new
habitat.

God, you must really love that woman, or she knows something that you don't
want someone to know!
Greg

Paul

Scope was 4:1.

(Flash Quiz: water was 24ft where I dropped anchor, I pulled back into
water that varied between 20ft and 40ft depending on how I swung, and had
16 fathoms of rode out. What was my scope?)

noah

On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 12:24:55 -0700, "Lloyd Sumpter"
wrote:

I really enjoyed this story, Lloyd.
Thanks.
noah
Jim Dorval

Great tale!
"Lloyd Sumpter" wrote in message
news
My Lady wanted a nice piece of driftwood to put in the snake's new
habitat. We talked to a native in Lund who said there was lots of drift-
wood on Harwood Island (an Indian Reservation) and we could take whatever
we wanted. Only problem was, there's no real anchorage or shelter at the
island.

We found a likely-looking spit with lots of driftwood, and anchored

nearby.
(Flash Quiz: water was 24ft where I dropped anchor, I pulled back into
water that varied between 20ft and 40ft depending on how I swung, and had
16 fathoms of rode out. What was my scope?)

How high off the water is your bow roller?:-)

[...]

Lloyd Sumpter

On Tue, 16 Sep 2003 00:03:27 +0000, Paul wrote:

Great stories Lloyd. As God is my witness I thought a burl would sink and if
I were on the beach with you I would have bet you 5 bucks.

Well, it WAS heavy, but it was big too. Gut feeling while I was rolling it
down was that it would float.

And I admit I used my calculator to figure out the scope and when it came
out to an even "4" I was properly ashamed. Could/should have done that in my
head but you threw me off with the fathoms.

Actually, it's more complicated, which is why I asked the question.
Everyone who answered assumed a flat bottom, which was not the case.
"Scope" gives the angle between the rode and the bottom, but if the bottom
is sloped, it's not the same as if it's flat. In this case, the actual
scope would be something less than 4:1 since the bottom was sloping out.
(draw a diagram to see what I mean...)

A lot of "sail guys" seem to use
fathoms, do you have your depth sounder set to read in fathoms?

No, I do the conversion in my head. I use fathoms because when I let out
rode, I measure it by stretching my arms wide and letting it belly out a
bit - pretty close to 1 fathom.

Problem is, all Canadian charts now show depths in meters. Yuk!

So what is Angelique going to make with the burl?

It's a maze of roots, with holes, windy things, etc. As I mentioned, she's
going to cut a section out of it and put it in her snake habitat to let
the snake wind around the roots and through the holes. I have some pics of
it on the digital camera, that unfortunately was left onboard. I'll post
them as soon as I get the camera off the boat.

Lloyd Sumpter
"Far Cove" Catalina 36

Paul

Actually, it's more complicated, which is why I asked the question.
Everyone who answered assumed a flat bottom, which was not the case.
"Scope" gives the angle between the rode and the bottom, but if the bottom
is sloped, it's not the same as if it's flat. In this case, the actual
scope would be something less than 4:1 since the bottom was sloping out.
(draw a diagram to see what I mean...)

Ahh, I didn't know that. I thought the depth under the boat would be
irrelevant and that you threw that in there to add some confusion. The
things I don't know ...

Problem is, all Canadian charts now show depths in meters. Yuk!

Wonder if electronic charts will allow you to switch between units?

Lloyd Sumpter

On Tue, 16 Sep 2003 17:22:29 +0000, Paul wrote:

Actually, it's more complicated, which is why I asked the question.
Everyone who answered assumed a flat bottom, which was not the case.
"Scope" gives the angle between the rode and the bottom, but if the bottom
is sloped, it's not the same as if it's flat. In this case, the actual
scope would be something less than 4:1 since the bottom was sloping out.
(draw a diagram to see what I mean...)

Ahh, I didn't know that. I thought the depth under the boat would be
irrelevant and that you threw that in there to add some confusion. The
things I don't know ...

Don't worry - hardly anyone figures the bottom slope into their
calculations.

Problem is, all Canadian charts now show depths in meters. Yuk!

Wonder if electronic charts will allow you to switch between units?

Last time I looked at "electronic charts" for the West Coast of Canada,
they had Welcome Passage's stbd marker just about exactly where the port
marker really is, and the stbd marker at the entrance to Secret Cove in
the middle of Turnagain Island.

I have a good-quality but non-graphical GPS (Furuno) and paper charts.

Lloyd Sumpter
"Far Cove" Catalina 36

Jim Dorval

Actually, Lloyd, it is more complicated mainly because you gave no
consideration for the hieght of your bow roller above the water. Also,
must authorities on anchoring consider the "scope" to be the ratio of the
depth of the water above the anchor to the length of the anchor
rode. The configuration of the bottom is not part of this calculation,
although it should be another consideration.
Jim

[...]

Paul

"Jim Dorval" wrote in message
Actually, Lloyd, it is more complicated mainly because you gave no
consideration for the hieght of your bow roller above the water.

Oh damn, excellent point.