Lloyd Sumpter

Default The Tale of the 200-lb Burl

On Tue, 16 Sep 2003 17:22:29 +0000, Paul wrote:

Actually, it's more complicated, which is why I asked the question.
Everyone who answered assumed a flat bottom, which was not the case.
"Scope" gives the angle between the rode and the bottom, but if the bottom
is sloped, it's not the same as if it's flat. In this case, the actual
scope would be something less than 4:1 since the bottom was sloping out.
(draw a diagram to see what I mean...)

Ahh, I didn't know that. I thought the depth under the boat would be
irrelevant and that you threw that in there to add some confusion. The
things I don't know ...

Don't worry - hardly anyone figures the bottom slope into their
calculations.

Problem is, all Canadian charts now show depths in meters. Yuk!

Wonder if electronic charts will allow you to switch between units?

Last time I looked at "electronic charts" for the West Coast of Canada,
they had Welcome Passage's stbd marker just about exactly where the port
marker really is, and the stbd marker at the entrance to Secret Cove in
the middle of Turnagain Island.

I have a good-quality but non-graphical GPS (Furuno) and paper charts.

Lloyd Sumpter
"Far Cove" Catalina 36