Lloyd Sumpter

Default The Tale of the 200-lb Burl

On Tue, 16 Sep 2003 21:56:32 +0000, Jim Dorval wrote:

Actually, Lloyd, it is more complicated mainly because you gave no
consideration for the hieght of your bow roller above the water.

In this case, you're probably right - it did make a difference. But in
general, where I anchor, I'm often in 60ft of water, so the extra 4ft is
negligible. Also, tides often vary over 15ft, and again the bottom is not
flat, varying by more than 4 ft over the length of the boat, so the roller
height is negligible in the calculations. (Even in this case: I said the
depth was 24ft, but it was varying from 22 to almost 30 as I was dropping
the anchor, and it was 2ft deeper when I retrieved!)

My main purpose here is to show that Real Life is rarely as simple as the
diagrams you see in the books and courses.

Lloyd