Default What's the best way to cook Salmon?

jps wrote:
On Tue, 5 Jan 2010 13:25:49 -0800 (PST), Tim
wrote:

I've heard grilling or broiled is probably best, but anyhow.

i have the option to buy it locally in a side fillet or the horseshoe
cut.

I got a side fillet and put a little olive oil in the skillet and
cooked until brown, but the other side still had the skin on it, so
after flipping it and letting the skin side cook a couple minutes, I
peeled the skin off easily then cooked at it for about anothe 4
minutes.

It turned out OK, I thought. It was flakey and tender. a bit of lemon
juice and pepper helped out. I'm staying away from salt.

I'm sure there are better ways to skillet fry salmon then what I did.

sooo....

What should I do next time around?

BBQ is probably the best but poached and oven baked also work quite
well.

Oven version...

If a fillet,wrapped in foil skin side down (with the top open) in a
baking dish with little bits of butter, some salt and pepper, cover
liberally with pan fried onion (sliced) and slices of lemon with fresh
lemon juice squeezed directly on the fillet. Bake at 325 for approx.
15 - 20 minutes. Monitor closely, time is based on size. Protect the
tail section from overcooking with thicker lemon slices.

Serve it with the onions. Discard the lemon slices.

Make certain you don't dry it out. If finished right, it'll melt in
your mouth.

Doing the same thing in foil on a covered BBQ is even better.

Pretty close, but needs a little garlic...........
DP_Diddly

Tim Tim is offline

wrote:

I've heard grilling or broiled is probably best, but anyhow.

i have the option to buy it locally in a side fillet or the horseshoe
cut.

I got a side fillet and put a little olive oil in the skillet and
cooked until brown, but the other side still had the skin on it, so
after flipping it and letting the skin side cook a couple minutes, I
peeled the skin off easily then cooked at it for about anothe 4
minutes.

It turned out OK, I thought. It was flakey and tender. a bit of lemon
juice and pepper helped out. I'm staying away from salt.

I'm sure there are *better ways to skillet fry salmon then what I did.

sooo....

What should I do next time around?

I love it on a smoker. I've got one of these:http://tinyurl.com/ydkc2gq

Put the salmon on there for an hour with some mesquite chips and it's
done. Very good.

That's fine, John. But at 10 degrees above zero?
Tim Tim is offline

wrote:

I've heard grilling or broiled is probably best, but anyhow.

i have the option to buy it locally in a side fillet or the horseshoe
cut.

I got a side fillet and put a little olive oil in the skillet and
cooked until brown, but the other side still had the skin on it, so
after flipping it and letting the skin side cook a couple minutes, I
peeled the skin off easily then cooked at it for about anothe 4
minutes.

It turned out OK, I thought. It was flakey and tender. a bit of lemon
juice and pepper helped out. I'm staying away from salt.

I'm sure there are *better ways to skillet fry salmon then what I did.

sooo....

What should I do next time around?

The first thing we have to understand is that there are 5 different
kinds of salmon. * This is one of the things you learn on an Alaska
trip. * :-) * *

Well, the package tray says "Salmon" so I take it that is what it
is....

My vote is for grilled on tin foil with a lot of chopped onions. If
nothing else the smell of it cooking will drive you crazy.

Good future reference Wayne, Thanks!
jps jps is offline

wrote:

[...]

That's a matter of opinion. Why not take the time to post your recipe
and I'll judge whether you have it right...
jps jps is offline

wrote:

[...]

Salmon jerky is an appropriate meal for Herring.

[...]

Make it an hour and a half. Keep the smoker out of the wind.

wrote:

[...]

An hour and a half to cook a salmon steak?

snerk

It's a good day for golf, herring...go out there and catch some
hypothermia.

wrote:

[...]

Harry buddy, He is talking about smoking a salmon steak, not grilling
it. I know you are getting old, but heck, even my ugly, dumb wife and
my alcoholic son would know the difference.

On Jan 5, 5:40*pm, Tim wrote:
On Jan 5, 3:45*pm, Loogypicker wrote:

On Jan 5, 4:25*pm, Tim wrote:

I've heard grilling or broiled is probably best, but anyhow.

i have the option to buy it locally in a side fillet or the horseshoe
cut.

I got a side fillet and put a little olive oil in the skillet and
cooked until brown, but the other side still had the skin on it, so
after flipping it and letting the skin side cook a couple minutes, I
peeled the skin off easily then cooked at it for about anothe 4
minutes.

It turned out OK, I thought. It was flakey and tender. a bit of lemon
juice and pepper helped out. I'm staying away from salt.

I'm sure there are *better ways to skillet fry salmon then what I did.

sooo....

What should I do next time around?

I really like it grilled on a cedar plank. You can buy the planks in
most grocery stores that sell fish.

I'd thought of that eventually when the weather is better. I use a
charcoal BBQ grill. We dont' have a grilling feature in our house. I
cooked it out in the garage otherwise *it would make our house smell
like fish and the wife doesn't want that. around spring I'll go for it
though.- Hide quoted text -

I grill year round, snow, ice, don't stop me! I use charcoal only
also. Had a gas grill, hated it.

wrote:

[...]

hypothermia.- Hide quoted text -

To smoke/cook a salmon steak, dumbass.

MF Salmon question krueger General 0 July 20th 07 03:30 AM
How to salmon fish Calif Bill General 0 April 10th 07 06:40 PM
MF Salmon Trip Report Randy Hodges General 2 August 27th 04 09:20 PM
Salmon Date Danno Shaffer General 0 July 26th 04 07:50 PM
Please tell me about the NY Salmon Oci-One Kanubi General 5 September 4th 03 12:30 AM