Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Default Even right-leaning ABC TV News thinks the stimulus is working

Charles Gibson, ABC News: The White House has been under scrutiny
regarding the number of jobs created by the $727 billion economic
stimulus program. Reports from The Administration and Congress have
provided only rough estimates. So, we asked Chris Bury to see whether he
could find evidence as to whether the program had paid off.

Chris Bury: For these police cadets in Missouri, teachers in
Virginia and construction workers in Pennsylvania, the stimulus means
paychecks.

Bury: What were you doing before this?

John Barrett, Construction Worker: I was laid off, collecting
unemployment, trying to survive.

Bury: After eight months of scraping by, John Barrett is among the
painters, carpenters and other tradesmen newly hired to fix up broken
down public housing in Philadelphia.

Barrett: It means a lot. It means we can start living like we used
to live.

Bury: The jobs came only after the Philadelphia Housing Authority
got a nice slice of that stimulus, $127 million. Would you have these
jobs without the stimulus money?

Carl Greene, Executive Director, Philadelphia Housing Authority:
Without the stimulus money, 3,000 less people would have the opportunity
to work.

Bury: On projects like this, the stimulus means more than just
construction jobs. Tens of millions of dollars in new federal spending
are rippling across the region. At first, the owner of this Pennsylvania
window company had big doubts about the president's plan.

Alan Levin, CEO, Northeast Building Products: I was definitely
skeptical, wondering if we're mortgaging our future.

Bury: Now, his firm is building the windows for that public housing
and hiring another 100 workers. and now?

Levin: I'm a believer. I think everyone in this factory is a believer.

Bury: So is the St. Louis Police Force. After budget cuts canceled
this entire cadet class, stimulus money revived it -- $8.7 million to
pay 50 salaries for three years.

Dan Isom, St. Louis Metro Police Chief: This is the time to invest
in police officers, not disinvest in them.

Bury: Unlike those police officers, 275 teachers in Chesterfield,
Virginia, are getting only one year's salary after $20 million in
stimulus spending here.

Smith, Chesterfield County Schools, Va.: We're going to save jobs,
but we know it's a one-time fix.

Bury: But any jobs are better than none, say the stimulus believers
and they see the benefits spreading beyond mere paychecks, to safer
streets, stronger schools and better housing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2Vrc...layer_embedded

- - -

Of course, the unemployable righties here...no sort of stimulus would
guide them to a job.