Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Tim Tim is offline

Default Draining the boat for the season...

On Dec 4, 12:33*pm, "H the K (I post with a Mac)"
wrote:
Tim wrote:
Oh my, it got down to 21 dsegrees last night, and thismorning I
thought, OH CRAP. I forgot to winterize the boat! *Anyhow I headed
into town to my warehouse and pulled the cover. opened the petcock on
th little 4 cyl GM and the water poured out. I figured it wouldn't
ahve frozen but then again..

I pulled the hoses and slopped the "pink stuff" to it till it was
flushing well out of all open ports including the lower end.

Thats one thing I like about he little GM inline 4, it's so easy to
winterize. 10 to 15 minutes and it's over with. v-8 GM s? Thats a
different story. drain plugs and petcocks in places you wouldn't dream
of.

Anyhow, I lowered the bottom end, pulled the battery and pushed it
back in the corner. Just waiting for Aprl 2010 now......

That's all you do to "winterize"?
No gasoline preservative?
No oil sprayed into the spark plug holes?
No monthly charge for the battery?

And that pink stuff, which I assume is anti-freeze, you don't let it
pour out on the ground, do you?

We just winterized the outboard. Changed the lower unit oil, put sta-bil
into the fuel tank, ran the engine, let it drain, then changed engine
oil, engine oil filter, greased engine and steering fittings, pulled
spark plugs, sprayed in oil, et cetera. Pulled the batteries, took 'em
home, set them up in the garage, did the "december" charge.

I "supervised" most of those activities! * :)- Hide quoted text -

No, I dont' spray oil in it and I don't "fog" the thing. We're tlaking
about sitting only 4 months. Lawn mowers sit longer than that and they
still work.

The last time I ran the boat, I put a generous supply of Sta-bil in
the tank and ran the boat around the lake. That way it would fully mix
the system through the carburator until I had time to drain the
cooling system,, then I put more sta-bil in the tank and filled it to
mix the fresh properly, so for the most part I feel the fuel system is
protected well.

I pull the battery and put it in the old 8-N ford tractor which was
converted over to 12v some time ago. It gets used quite a bit though
the winter months for working with firewood, and blading the snow out
of the driveway. so it's put to good use. I changed the oil this past
spring and used the boat twice. I don't really think theres a need to
change it again.

Anyhow, that's my winterizing method for the season.