Default A perfect moron...

....perfect for the GOP:

Palin's Latest Rogue Gaffe

There have been so many lies and distortions pointed out in Sarah
Palin's Going Rogue since it was released last week that her memoir has
already become something of a gag line.

But perhaps the most embarrassing gaffe so far is her mis-attributed
quote to UCLA basketball legend John Wooden.

As the epigram to Chapter Three, "Drill, Baby, Drill," Palin assigns the
following remarks to the Hall of Fame hoops coach:

Our land is everything to us... I will tell you one of the things
we remember on our land. We remember our grandfathers paid for it--with
their lives.

Only the quote wasn't by John Wooden. It was written by a Native
American activist named John Wooden Legs in an essay entitled "Back on
the War Ponies," which appeared in a left-wing anthology, We Are the
People: Voices from the Other Side of American History, edited by
Nathaniel May, Clint Willis, and James W. Loewen.

Here's the full quote:

Our land is everything to us. It is the only place in the world
where Cheyennes talk the Cheyenne language to each other. It is the only
place where Cheyennes remember the same things together. I will tell you
one of the things we remember on our land. We remember our grandfathers
paid for it--with their life. My people and the Sioux defeated General
Custer at the Little Big Horn.

Oops! That's not quite the sentiment that Sister Sarah was trying to
convey as she guzzled down sugar-free Red Bull and cranked up Toby
Keith's "How Do You Like Me Now?" while jumping on her patriotic high
horse at the opening of the third chapter.

There's also no small amount of irony in the quote, given Palin's
abysmal record on Alaska Native issues during her truncated term as
governor.

I was a huge UCLA basketball fan as a kid. Whenever the Bruins came to
the Bay Area, I did whatever I could do to snag a ticket. I loved to
watch Wooden coach. But I never figured the Wizard of Westwood as an
advocate for radical land distribution.

Obviously this one slipped by Sister Sarah and her crack team of
investigative journalists Lynn Vincent, Meg Stapleton and Ivy Frye, as
well as all those dutiful fact checkers at HarperCollins. Obviously,
they didn't get the quote from anything Wooden ever wrote, but from a
cute little web site called The Quote Garden. Isn't that sweet?

Okay, I was a little leery reading Palin's book and wondering if she
really had read Aristotle and Plato. Somehow I didn't think so. But I
thought, maybe, just maybe, she might have read Sir John. Apparently not.

But just because we're all good sports here at HuffPo, I thought I'd
save the former Governor (can you imagine what Wooden thought about her
quitting?!) a little bit of time, and here are five actual Wooden
quotes, courtesy of the Christian Science Monitor, that she might want
to take to heart:

1. It's the little details that are vital. Little things make big
things happen.

2. Failure is not fatal but failure to change might be.

3. What you are as a person is far more important than what you are
as a basketball player.

4. Be more concerned with your character than your reputation,
because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is
merely what others think you are.

5. Never mistake activity for achievement.

We'll see if the second printing carries a correction.

Swiped from Huffington Post

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/geoffr..._b_373453.html

Yep, Sister Sarah...she's just perfect for the GOP.

On Fri, 04 Dec 2009 06:48:31 -0500, "H the K (I post with a Mac)"
wrote:

[...]

It's a little bit like not quite knowing who Democritus was, isn't it
now?

wrote:

[...]

I dunno. I know who he was. You are the one who said he wasn't a
scientist because the term did not come into use until centuries later.
That certainly was lame. There are any number of classical world
scientists who would be accepted as scientists today no matter what they
were called in their day. Archimedes of Syracuse, for example, a
full-fledged mathematician, physicist, astronomer.

In fact, your comment made you look even more like a ninny.

On Fri, 04 Dec 2009 08:56:11 -0500, "H the K (I post with a Mac)"

wrote:

[...]

A ninny to you? Empiricism can be traced at its meaningful earliest
to Aristotle, a philosopher subsequent to Socrates. Even still,
empirical science didn't truly develop into a structured methodology
until much later, and many attribute that seminal structure to Sir
Francis Bacon. What Democritus and his school proposed was a
philosophical and epistomological understanding of the structure of
reality. It was akin to other early philosophers describing the
universe as being composed of the 4 elementals or of mostly water. It
was that what Democritus proposed was uncannily close to what came to
be discovered empirically from the time of the Enlightenment that he
was honored with having the term "atom" adopted from his school of
thought. That's as close as it gets. Democritus was a philosopher,
simply put, and not a scientist, retroactively or otherwise.

You are uninformed.

wrote:

[...]

Yeah, right:

Democritus' physical and cosmological doctrines were an elaborated and
systematized version of those of his teacher, Leucippus. To account for
the world's changing physical phenomena, Democritus asserted that space,
or the Void, had an equal right with reality, or Being, to be considered
existent. He conceived of the Void as a vacuum, an infinite space in
which moved an infinite number of atoms that made up Being (i.e., the
physical world). These atoms are eternal and invisible; absolutely
small, so small that their size cannot be diminished (hence the name
atomon, or “indivisible”); absolutely full and incompressible, as they
are without pores and entirely fill the space they occupy; and
homogeneous, differing only in shape, arrangement, position, and
magnitude. But, while atoms thus differ in quantity, differences of
quality are only apparent, owing to the impressions caused on our senses
by different configurations and combinations of atoms. A thing is hot or
cold, sweet or bitter, or hard or soft only by convention; the only
things that exist in reality are atoms and the Void. Thus, the atoms of
water and iron are the same, but those of water, being smooth and round
and therefore unable to hook onto one another, roll over and over like
small globes, whereas those of iron, being rough, jagged, and uneven,
cling together and form a solid body. Because all phenomena are composed
of the same eternal atoms, it may be said that nothing comes into being
or perishes in the absolute sense of the words, although the compounds
made out of the atoms are liable to increase and decrease, explaining a
thing's appearance and disappearance, or “birth” and “death.”

Just as the atoms are uncaused and eternal, so too, according to
Democritus, is motion. Democritus posited the fixed and “necessary” laws
of a purely mechanical system, in which there was no room for an
intelligent cause working with a view to an end. He explained the origin
of the universe as follows. The original motion of the atoms was in all
directions—it was a sort of “vibration”; hence there resulted collisions
and, in particular, a whirling movement, whereby similar atoms were
brought together and united to form larger bodies and worlds. This
happened not as the result of any purpose or design but rather merely as
the result of “necessity”; i.e., it is the normal manifestation of the
nature of the atoms themselves. Atoms and void being infinite in number
and extent, and motion having always existed, there must always have
been an infinite number of worlds, all consisting of similar atoms in
various stages of growth and decay.

Democritus devoted considerable attention to perception and knowledge.
He asserted, for example, that sensations are changes produced in the
soul by atoms emitted from other objects that impinge on it; the atoms
of the soul can be affected only by the contact of other atoms. But
sensations such as sweet and bitter are not as such inherent in the
emitted atoms, for they result from effects caused merely by the size
and shape of the atoms; e.g., sweet taste is due to round and not
excessively small atoms. Democritus also was the first to attempt to
explain colour, which he thought was due to the “position” (which he
differentiated from shape) of the constituent atoms of compounds. The
sensation of white, for instance, is caused by atoms that are smooth and
flat so as to cast no shadow; the sensation of black is caused by rough,
uneven atoms.

Democritus attributed popular belief in the gods to a desire to explain
extraordinary phenomena (thunder, lightning, earthquakes) by reference
to superhuman agency. His ethical system, founded on a practical basis,
posited an ultimate good (“cheerfulness”) that was “a state in which the
soul lives peacefully and tranquilly, undisturbed by fear or
superstition or any other feeling.”

From Britannica.

Let's see...atoms, motion, infinity, source of sensations, explanation
of color...

*You* are underinformed. You sort of remind me of a poster here who
called himself "Reggie." He, too, was a gasbag.

On Fri, 04 Dec 2009 09:26:26 -0500, "H the K (I post with a Mac)"

wrote:

[...]

From Britannica.

Let's see...atoms, motion, infinity, source of sensations, explanation
of color...

*You* are underinformed. You sort of remind me of a poster here who
called himself "Reggie." He, too, was a gasbag.

You should learn to read your own citations.

Rob Rob is offline

--

What the hell does this have to do with Don?

Rob

On Sat, 05 Dec 2009 00:15:23 -0500, Rob wrote:

What the hell does this have to do with Don?

Rob

Nothing. Harry wanted everyone to think of Don yesterday, so he coined
the thread title.
--

John H
Rob Rob is offline

John H wrote:
On Sat, 05 Dec 2009 00:15:23 -0500, wrote:

What the hell does this have to do with Don?

Rob

Nothing. Harry wanted everyone to think of Don yesterday, so he coined
the thread title.

That makes sense.

Rob

On Sat, 05 Dec 2009 21:24:10 -0500, Rob wrote:

John H wrote:
On Sat, 05 Dec 2009 00:15:23 -0500, wrote:

What the hell does this have to do with Don?

Rob

Nothing. Harry wanted everyone to think of Don yesterday, so he coined
the thread title.

That makes sense.

Rob

Well, who do you think of when you see the thread title?
--

John H

What kind of a MORON???? Wilbur Hubbard Cruising 0 July 19th 09 09:32 PM
Moron... Wizard of Woodstock General 37 June 5th 09 04:59 PM
Moron of the Week Bobsprit ASA 5 June 28th 04 12:14 AM
The True Moron Bobsprit ASA 1 June 26th 04 08:55 PM
West Moron Bill Andersen Electronics 13 October 2nd 03 04:07 AM