Rob Rob is offline

Default Okay, so here's what happened.

Gene wrote:
On Tue, 24 Nov 2009 20:28:18 -0500, Gene
wrote:

You would think wrong then. Well, I'll qualify that and say the police would
for sure make an arrest if there were witnesses. The DA might drop the
charges, but I wouldn't want to bet on it.

Let point to why I think you are wrong:

"In criminal law, theft is the illegal taking of another person's
property without that person's freely-given consent."

Note: NOT " another person's property." Therefore, Not Theft!

The boat wasn't on the street, it was in a locked, private, area.

Rob

On 11/24/09 8:57 PM, Gene wrote:
On Tue, 24 Nov 2009 20:41:12 -0500, wrote:

Gene wrote:
On Tue, 24 Nov 2009 19:48:07 -0500, wrote:

John H wrote:
On Tue, 24 Nov 2009 19:01:48 -0500, Gene
wrote:

On Tue, 24 Nov 2009 15:34:53 -0800, "nom=de=plume"
wrote:

"John wrote in message
On 27 October I took my boat in to get the oils changed and engine
winterized. Also wanted them to check the alternator. Told them,
Dumfries Marine, that they could take their time as I'd be out of town
for a few days.

I got back in town after a trip to NC, and saw no message on the
machine from them. Didn't worry. Waited another week, but still had
heard nothing. Finally, around 9 November, I'm thinking they should
have called, so I call them. No answer. Leave a message.

Next day same thing. I call, no answer, leave message. I did this
every day that week. I try over the weekend - nothing.

The next week comes and I start by calling them on Monday, that's 16
Nov. No answer. Tuesday AM I drive to Dumfries to see what the hell is
happening. No one around (at about 10:30), no sign on door, no
nothing. My boat is behind the building with a padlock on the hitch,
but other than that there is no security.

Wednesday I call again, nothing. I drive down Thursday, and again on
Saturday morning. Nothing. Yesterday AM I call and get a recording
that the phone's been disconnected. ****.

I call the Dumfries Police. Explain what's happened. They try to call
and get the answer machine. The 'disconnected' recording was a fluke,
or I misdialed. Don't know. The police said they'd check things out
and get back to me. They also said I might have to take the matter to
civil court as they have no report of a crime. I tell them that as far
as I'm concerned my boat's been stolen. They never got back to me.

This morning I rent the biggest bolt cutter the rental place can
provide. Costs me ten bucks. I'm off to get my damn boat. When I get
there I see a pickup backed up to the door and a bunch of stuff loaded
in the back. I try the door and it's open. I yell and someone replies.
Turns out to be one of the two brothers who run the place.

I ask what the hell's going on. He shrugs, but doesn't answer. I ask
if they're still in business. Another shrug. Finally I tell him I want
my damn boat. He hands me the keys. When I ask him why he hasn't
called, his response is, "Personal problems."

Anyway, I get my boat and go. Last time I go there for anything.
--

John H

It's probably pretty good that you didn't act on getting your boat with the
bolt cutters. Even though it was your boat, you could be charged with
trespass, breaking/entering, perhaps property damage, and God knows what
else.

Been there, done that, bought the T-shirt. John's actions were BY FAR
the best approach.

To assume that our court system works is to engage in a fool's errand.
You will spend forever engaged in placating the system and paying
obscene amounts to attorneys.... with unpredictable results, at best.

When faced with this sort of issue.... a wise individual seeks
forgiveness, NOT permission.....

I figured possession was nine-tenths and all that. I'd have felt much
better getting hassled about cutting the lock off while the boat was
in *my* driveway.

They would have had the keys, but I could get more made.

In this case, they had possession of the boat - not you. Under
bankruptcy law, they couldn't keep it for too long.

Rob

You Sooooooooo don't get it. While they held the boat, John had to sue
for possession. Once he had regained possession, they had to perfect a
claim on HIS boat.....

Maybe you think they could get the DA to arrest John for "stealing"
his own property, I think not....

Wrong - unless the law varies by state (I don't believe it does). I've
witnessed this first-hand. There is a designated time frame where the
owners of property that is in for repair can claim it, and take it, with
proper documentation.

Rob

Rob,

I don't know where you live and I won't troll for that...... BUT.... I
urge you to explore your laws and justify how a person can "STEAL" his
own property.

IOW.... if I come to your property and liberate your boat, your point
is...... what? What do you have to do to recover your property once
locked in my lot? I'll lie and say that you gave me the property for
repair....

now... defend yourself.....

"Rob" is just the latest sock puppet of "DanKrueger," who claims to live
in Florida.

--
If you are flajim, herring, loogy, GC boater, johnson, topbassdog, rob,
achmed the sock puppet, or one of a half dozen others, you're wasting

"Gene" wrote in message
On Tue, 24 Nov 2009 17:13:15 -0800, "nom=de=plume"
wrote:

"Gene" wrote in message
. ..

wrote:

"John wrote in message
[...]

We'll let me assure you this..... having been there? I'll be wrong,
take my chances.... and feel very sure that I'll be fine.....

I think you think anecdotal evidence is valid for making conclusions.

--
Nom=de=Plume

wrote:

You would think wrong then. Well, I'll qualify that and say the police
would
for sure make an arrest if there were witnesses. The DA might drop the
charges, but I wouldn't want to bet on it.

Let point to why I think you are wrong:

"In criminal law, theft is the illegal taking of another person's
property without that person's freely-given consent."

Note: NOT " another person's property." Therefore, Not Theft!
--
It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are
enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance.

Grady-White Gulfstream, out of Oak Island, NC.

Homepage
http://pamandgene.tranquilrefuge.net/boating/the_boat/my_boat.htm

Forté Agent 6.00 Build 1186 Beta

Yes, but there's the rub. You would end up in court and might very well
prevail on that point. You still initially go to jail. Additionally, this
would not excuse illegal trespass, perhaps damage to someone else's property
in your recovery of said property. You might walk, but you might be fined or
even jailed if it was egregious.

Look at a limiting case... you know someone stole your watch. You know he's
got in his apartment. So, when he's not there, you break down the door,
rifle through his stuff, break a few things, find your watch, then leave.
Someone sees you leave.

--
Nom=de=Plume

"Gene" wrote in message
news

wrote:

You would think wrong then. Well, I'll qualify that and say the police
would
for sure make an arrest if there were witnesses. The DA might drop the
charges, but I wouldn't want to bet on it.

Let point to why I think you are wrong:

"In criminal law, theft is the illegal taking of another person's
property without that person's freely-given consent."

Note: NOT " another person's property." Therefore, Not Theft!

The boat wasn't on the street, it was in a locked, private, area.

Rob

Really? Not when I recovered MY boat..... sorry..... so , sue me......

Well, the circumstances are different that what John described. Thus, the
law is different.

--
Nom=de=Plume

"Gene" wrote in message
On Tue, 24 Nov 2009 17:11:54 -0800, "nom=de=plume"
wrote:

"Rob" wrote in message
om...

wrote:

"John wrote in message
[...]

Probably correct, although I'm not super familiar with bankruptcy law.
It's
better to err on the side of the law than risk bad things.

When it is YOUR property...... WRONG.

See my other response.

--
Nom=de=Plume

"Gene" wrote in message
On Tue, 24 Nov 2009 17:10:53 -0800, "nom=de=plume"
wrote:

news
wrote:

On Tue, 24 Nov 2009 15:34:53 -0800, "nom=de=plume"
wrote:

"John H" wrote in message
om...
[...]

You'd be wrong. If you remove something from someone else's property
without
their permission, you're subject to arrest.

Not when that "something" is YOUR property.....

This nine-tenths business gets a
lot of people in trouble who wouldn't have been if they just had some
patience.

Bull$hit... patience will only co$t you MANY dollar$ to recover that
which i$ ALREADY YOUR$......

You can't "steal" something that you OWN......

Feel free to excercise your supposed rights. I'm not your lawyer, and I'm
not going to attempt to advise you on the correct action.

--
Nom=de=Plume

"Gene" wrote in message
On Tue, 24 Nov 2009 20:42:23 -0500, Rob wrote:

Gene wrote:
On Tue, 24 Nov 2009 17:10:53 -0800, "nom=de=plume"
wrote:

"John wrote in message
news On Tue, 24 Nov 2009 19:01:48 -0500, Gene

wrote:

"John wrote in message
[...]

If you have to enter private property to do it you can have problems.

Rob

Wrong.... as every Fuller Brush Man knows........

post No Trespassing signs....... maybe a different situation.....

No, there's a presumption of private property involved also... just like a
presumption of privacy. Sorry.

--
Nom=de=Plume

"Gene" wrote in message
On Tue, 24 Nov 2009 17:09:12 -0800, "nom=de=plume"
wrote:

"Gene" wrote in message
. ..
On Tue, 24 Nov 2009 15:34:53 -0800, "nom=de=plume"
wrote:

"John H" wrote in message
m...
[...]

No problem if you don't mind spending a couple of days in jail while they
sort it out, and it's still illegal to damage property, trespass, etc.

Been there, done that..... by the rules..... (which in hindsight and
with knowledge of the law) was really stupid.

Knowing what I know, now..... and with previous counsel of
attorneys..... John was prepared to take the ONLY sane WISE course of
action available to him.

Pretend you are the DA.... tell me why you are arresting me for
"stealing" property for which I have a Certificate of Title.

Want to try to make that breaking and entering charge stick without
proof? Try me, I'll have your ass......

Here's a thought exercise for you...

DA: Did you or did you not enter SoSo's property without permission?
Gene: It was my boat.
DA: Non-responsive. Would the court please direct the witness to answer the
question.
Judge: Answer the question.
Gene: Yes.
DA: Did you damage SoSo's property in the act of removing the boat from said
property?
Gene: I cut a lock that was holding my boat.
DA: Non-responsive. Would the court please direct the witness to answer the
question.
Judge: Answer the question.
Gene: Yes.
DA: I rest my case.

--
Nom=de=Plume

"Gene" wrote in message
On Tue, 24 Nov 2009 21:07:09 -0500, H the K
wrote:

"Rob" is just the latest sock puppet of "DanKrueger," who claims to live
in Florida.

It doesn't really matter. These folks need a real world wake-up and I
have attorney receipts (and others) that attest to the dangers of
dealing with "Jaysus" people. The last one ripped us off for $2500.
Sooner or later, my wife and others, who would like to take these
people at face value, will get it. There are those who play the system
like a violin..... and we need to be wiser and more savvy than those
folks or they'll drain us for ever drop of blood we have....

I assume you're talking about lawyer... Yes, "let's kill all the lawyers."
http://www.enotes.com/shakespeare-qu...ll-all-lawyers

Sniff...

--
Nom=de=Plume

What Happened Rob? Joe ASA 6 September 24th 06 07:15 PM
What Happened? Capt. Rob ASA 11 November 10th 05 01:31 PM
WHAT HAPPENED? gonefishing ASA 11 April 9th 05 07:25 AM
Sorry -- don't know what happened Jim, General 5 March 29th 05 01:48 AM