Default Support points

In article ,
says...

"Steve B" wrote in message

"Scott Dickson" wrote in message
On Nov 22, 7:33 pm, "Steve B" wrote:
I'm getting ready to do some work to my rig. I have a Lund on a trailer
that looks like a combination of three trailers, plus some homemade
welding
thrown in. In the back at the heaviest point are two planks that look
like
they have rollers in them that support most of the boat's weight. There
are
two side guides, and the receiver Y shaped rubber yoke in front. Should I
add a couple or three of spool rollers under the keel? I do need to add a
couple of little guides up front where it sometimes does not come
straight
into the Y if I am too deep with the trailer. Or should I watch the
more closely, and try to power on? Still, powering on, with the flat
planks, the boat may tend to miss the front Y. If I can get it centered
on
the keel rollers, it should be kept straight by the two side plank guides
that are just under the gunnels when the whole rig is out of the water.
Just how much support should one put under a boat on a trailer?

Steve

I cant understand why anyone would own a Bunk Trailer. Get rollers.

Thank you for the help.

Bunks work very well. Especially on light aluminum boats. My heavy duty
aluminum boat sets on bunks faced with UHMW plastic. Boat slides real easy.
Rollers on thin guage aluminum will bend the aluminum in the contact area.
But my Valco 14' had the front keel roller support fail. And the boat
rested on the front of the bunk, and cracked the bottom at the contact
point. So after welding the bottom, I extended the bunks far enough forward
that the boat could not rest on the end of the bunk. Plus there is a less
problem with a bunk that rollers. And do not use treated lumber for bunks
on an aluminum boat. The copper will react with the aluminum.

Pffftttt. Short fat Dickster tried to be an ass, and succeded... Now
that's funny... Guess we know better than to listen to him.

On Nov 24, 6:51*am, I am Tosk wrote:
In article ,
says...

On Nov 22, 7:33 pm, "Steve B" wrote:
[...]

Oh LOOK.... It's the Oompaloompa, Snotty Ingersoll. We ALL know better
than to listen to you, stumpy.

On Mon, 23 Nov 2009 09:19:47 -0800, "Steve B"
wrote:

I cant understand why anyone would own a Bunk Trailer.

Bunks support the hull more evenly, no risk of "roller dimples".
Rollers require replacement and maintenance, bunks last a long time.

Rollers however are better on difficult ramps or launching with no
ramp at all.

wrote:

I cant understand why anyone would own a Bunk Trailer.

Bunks support the hull more evenly, no risk of "roller dimples".
Rollers require replacement and maintenance, bunks last a long time.

Rollers however are better on difficult ramps or launching with no
ramp at all.

The best is bunks with plastic on top. Boat slides easily. Lots of
support.

On Tue, 24 Nov 2009 23:08:59 -0800, "Bill McKee"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

I cant understand why anyone would own a Bunk Trailer.

Bunks support the hull more evenly, no risk of "roller dimples".
Rollers require replacement and maintenance, bunks last a long time.

Rollers however are better on difficult ramps or launching with no
ramp at all.

The best is bunks with plastic on top. Boat slides easily. Lots of
support.

Bill, I think I saw in an earlier post a mention of a special plastic.
What was it, and how is it mounted on your bunks?
--

John H

Jim Jim is offline

Steve B wrote:
I'm getting ready to do some work to my rig. I have a Lund on a trailer
that looks like a combination of three trailers, plus some homemade welding
thrown in. In the back at the heaviest point are two planks that look like
they have rollers in them that support most of the boat's weight. There are
two side guides, and the receiver Y shaped rubber yoke in front. Should I
add a couple or three of spool rollers under the keel? I do need to add a
couple of little guides up front where it sometimes does not come straight
into the Y if I am too deep with the trailer. Or should I watch the loading
more closely, and try to power on? Still, powering on, with the flat
planks, the boat may tend to miss the front Y. If I can get it centered on
the keel rollers, it should be kept straight by the two side plank guides
that are just under the gunnels when the whole rig is out of the water.
Just how much support should one put under a boat on a trailer?

Steve

pretty near all boats can be supported by their keel. Any other support
is just for balance.

"Jim" wrote

pretty near all boats can be supported by their keel. Any other support is
just for balance.

Thank you for your short informative answer. This tells me a lot about what
to do next. My main concern was about supporting the boat, and your info
answered that question exactly.

Steve

500 asa points john cairns ASA 14 March 10th 05 01:02 PM
Worth 10 ASA points! Lady Pilot ASA 58 October 29th 04 04:04 AM
O.T. Some Good Points RGrew176 General 1 January 10th 04 08:04 AM