Default The boys were just out for a bit of fun...

Beaten, robbed, a victim of hate

Charges say white assailants hurled racial epithets as they attacked two
black men in Brooklyn Park. .

By PAUL WALSH and ABBY SIMONS, Star Tribune s taff w riters

Derrick Thomas was on his bike with home in his sights, returning about
1 a.m. Wednesday from hanging out with his girlfriend and cousin in
Brooklyn Park.

Before he knew to be terrified, Thomas, who has autism, found himself
flying over his handlebars and writhing on his back on the concrete.
Standing over him, he said, were three men armed with an ax, brass
knuckles and a gun.

They beat and kicked the 18-year-old while screaming a racial epithet,
and they ordered him to strip naked, he told police. Then they robbed
him of everything he had, including his Air Jordans, blue jeans and
shirt. Police said Thomas has a mental capacity of someone 8 to 10 years
old.

"They were saying stuff like, 'We hate the president; we're gonna kill
the president, his wife and his kids,'" Thomas recalled from his front
stoop Friday, his left eye puffy and discolored. "They said every black
person that comes through our park, we're gonna kick their butt. We
don't like black people, period."

The assault, and another on a second black man -- Thomas' uncle -- just
blocks away, led authorities Friday to file assault and robbery charges
against Anthony P. Kilpela and Bryan C. Westerlund, both 21 and both
white, of Minneapolis.

"We're incensed," said an angry Hennepin County Attorney Mike Freeman,
who took the unusual step of calling a news conference about the charges
from his living room while he was home ill.

"We will send the message that these kinds of hate crimes are not to be
tolerated," Freeman continued. "You do the racial thing, you're gonna do
more time, and we've asked for more time."

The alleged comments about the Obamas drew the attention of the Secret
Service, whose agents interviewed Thomas on Friday, according to his family.

"We will appropriately investigate, as we do all threats against the
president," said John Kirkwood, special agent in charge of the Secret
Service's Minneapolis field office. Such threats, Kirkwood said, are
felonies.

Third suspect sought

This is not the first time Westerlund has run afoul of the law.
According to court records, in two instances on the same night in
November 2006, Westerlund implored women from outside their Brooklyn
Park bedroom windows to have sex with him -- and thrust one or both
hands through the window screens.

When arrested a short time later, he claimed he was drunk. He was
convicted of burglary. Also on Westerlund's record is a felony
conviction seven months ago in Wright County for terroristic threats.

On a MySpace page, Westerlund brags about drinking and smoking marijuana
and declares that BET (Black Entertainment Television) is "the best
channel ever ... even though I'm white."

Kilpela's less-serious record includes underage drinking and possession
of burglary or theft tools.

A neighbor who heard the screamed epithet Wednesday and witnessed the
attack on Thomas called police, then gave the naked Thomas a blanket.
The attack happened near 73rd Avenue and Douglas Drive. Police said they
came upon the suspects nearby as they beat the second man, and they
arrested the pair.

A third suspect remains on the loose, while an 18-year-old woman
arrested with the others was released Friday. Authorities said it
appeared she was passed out in the suspects' car when the attacks happened.

Kilpela and Westerlund each were charged with two felonies, aggravated
first-degree robbery and attempted first-degree robbery, and two gross
misdemeanors, fourth-degree assault and attempted fourth-degree assault.
Those latter charges address the racial motivation.

"The mere fact that a crime is committed by one race on members of
another doesn't make it a hate crime," Freeman said, "but when they use
certain words, such as 'keeping our neighborhood clean,' that's a hate
crime. You don't use the N-word in casual conversation anymore."

Second attack described

Police came upon the suspects about four blocks from the first beating
and found them in the process of assaulting Johnney Robinson, 40. He had
been walking home from a bus stop after a few drinks at his brother's home.

In an interview, Robinson said he was nearing home when the men began
screaming from the car.

"It was (N-word) this and (N-word) that; I didn't pay no mind," Robinson
said. "Suddenly they got out, and one said, '(N-word), I'm gonna cut
your head off.'"

Robinson, his left cheek still swollen Friday, said one of the men swung
an axe. As he dodged it, he was struck in the face with the brass
knuckles. Before he knew what happened police arrived.

"I was gonna do whatever I had to do [to survive]," said Robinson. "I
was kind of tipsy. By the time I got hit, I looked around, and the squad
pulled up."

Police said a search of the car turned up Thomas' clothing and two empty
magazines for a firearm.

Brooklyn Park police Capt. Greg Roehl said that police think the same
group of suspects was interrupted earlier that night trying to break
into a car. There is no indication of a racial motive in that incident,
Roehl said.

Roehl said those arrested were advised of their rights and questioned.
He declined to say what was said during those interviews.

Robinson, a father of seven, said the attack left him "angry and scared."

"You got kids in the house and in this neighborhood," he said. "Who
knows what could have happened? You might not survive the next one. You
may not be lucky at all."

Thomas said he's now afraid to go out, particularly since one of the men
is on the loose. But he said it helps that family and friends have
rallied around him at the foster home where he lives. Thomas said he'd
be more than happy to face the men in court.

"If I come," Thomas said. "I'm bringing my whole family with me."

- - -

--
Birther-Deather-Tenther-Teabagger:
Idiots All

On Sep 27, 8:41*am, H the K wrote:
[...]

“Very few of the few posts I post initiate political crap!”
mgg mgg is offline

"GC Boater" wrote in message
On Sep 27, 8:41 am, H the K wrote:
[...]

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

krausie is trying to work the system. He's assuming that most people read
this crap via google groups. So... posts like that stand out, and noobs
don't see the rest of the bs. Therefore, they think that hairy is the
innocent one in this mess, when in fact he's the one causing it.

--Mike

In article ,
says...

"GC Boater" wrote in message
On Sep 27, 8:41 am, H the K wrote:
[...]

I think most of us have him killfiled by now... Best to just ignore him,
that ****es him off more than anything. Last time we did a boycott of
WAFA, he went absolutely crazy. Posted over a hundred cries for
attention in less than 24 hours. Then of course he brought in about a
dozen crossposters to thrash the group...

On 9/28/09 9:24 AM, JustWait wrote:

I think most of us have him killfiled by now... Best to just ignore him,
that ****es him off more than anything. Last time we did a boycott of
WAFA, he went absolutely crazy. Posted over a hundred cries for
attention in less than 24 hours. Then of course he brought in about a
dozen crossposters to thrash the group...

Planted your dad yet, or is he in the kitchen, too, along with that
kiddie motorbike?

--
Birther-Deather-Tenther-Teabagger:
Idiots All

On Mon, 28 Sep 2009 21:30:27 -0400, JustWait
wrote:

In article , news1
says...

H the K wrote:
On 9/28/09 9:24 AM, JustWait wrote:

I think most of us have him killfiled by now... Best to just ignore him,
that ****es him off more than anything. Last time we did a boycott of
WAFA, he went absolutely crazy. Posted over a hundred cries for
attention in less than 24 hours. Then of course he brought in about a
dozen crossposters to thrash the group...

Planted your dad yet, or is he in the kitchen, too, along with that
kiddie motorbike?

WAFA!

Dad had the funeral he wanted. Started with an extra viewing at 8:30 am,
and ended with a great party that lasted till about 4:30 pm... Lot's of
speakers, food, stories at the open mike dinner.. It was very cool..

Food? FOOD?

DAmn, UPS must have lost my invitation!
--

John H

JustWait wrote:
In article , news1
@gmail27.com says...
H the K wrote:
On 9/28/09 9:24 AM, JustWait wrote:

I think most of us have him killfiled by now... Best to just ignore him,
that ****es him off more than anything. Last time we did a boycott of
WAFA, he went absolutely crazy. Posted over a hundred cries for
attention in less than 24 hours. Then of course he brought in about a
dozen crossposters to thrash the group...

Planted your dad yet, or is he in the kitchen, too, along with that
kiddie motorbike?

WAFA!

Dad had the funeral he wanted. Started with an extra viewing at 8:30 am,
and ended with a great party that lasted till about 4:30 pm... Lot's of
speakers, food, stories at the open mike dinner.. It was very cool..

That's the way to do it. A good friend of mine died late last year and
his family did the same thing. That's the only way he would have it!

Let's separate the men from the boys.... Larry Cruising 0 March 8th 09 03:41 AM
Well boys... John H[_2_] General 7 January 2nd 09 04:39 AM
Does Joe Prefer Boys? Capt. Rob ASA 38 April 19th 06 05:21 AM
The boys a pain Capt. Rob ASA 0 January 13th 06 06:16 PM
The Beach Boys... William Bruce General 0 September 6th 05 12:24 AM