Default Who's the Best Redux or The Meek Shall Inherit the Earth

Asking "who's the best" is as nebulous of a question that may be
asked, as it has been recently posed. When trying to refine the
question to ascertain what was meant, one might suspect that the
question was intended to get at who personal favorites are among
luminaries, or it might just be to determine what some might consider
as the most famous among notables of history;

http://www.whoismorefamous.com/?fulllist=1

Appraisal of the list submitted by the inquirer would lead one to
suspect that she was simply looking for opinions of personal idols,
role models, or favorite celebs. Being that I have a propensity for
'volubility,' (which in this instance is purposeful), I'll continue
this post no further than by submitting certain not-so-currently
notable persons (and some current) that have impacted society in some
measure or who are in possession of intriguing talents, persons who
don't necessarily make the Top 10, but may deserve a spot;

Watchman Nee
Soren Kierkegard
William Wilberforce
John Wesley
Clara Barton
William Boyce
William Booth
Ravi Zacharias
Keith Green
Don and Deyon Stephens

Tim Tim is offline

On Sep 10, 12:09*pm, wrote:
[...]

my partial list (But 10)

Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Alexander Campbell
Dwight Moody
Barton W. Stone
Francis Asbury
John Knox
Marie Durand
James Elliot
Geo. Washington Carver
Sir Isaac Newton

On Thu, 10 Sep 2009 12:09:47 -0500, wrote:

Asking "who's the best" is as nebulous of a question that may be
asked, as it has been recently posed. When trying to refine the
question to ascertain what was meant, one might suspect that the
question was intended to get at who personal favorites are among
luminaries, or it might just be to determine what some might consider
as the most famous among notables of history;

http://www.whoismorefamous.com/?fulllist=1

That list was interesting. If I had to make a list in no particular
order, starting with those who made modern communications:

Alexander Graham Bell
Heinrich Hertz
Guglielmo Marconi
Reginald Fessenden
Nikola Tesla
George Westinghouse
Ernst Alexanderson
Lee DeForest
Edwin Armstrong
Oliver Lodge
Hiram Percy Maxim

Mathematics:

Johann Carl Friedrich Gauss
Leonhard Paul Euler
Georg Friedrich Bernhard Riemann
Jules Henri Poincaré
David Hilbert
Joseph-Louis Lagrange
Pierre de Fermat

Engineers:

Jack Kilby
Jack Welch
Elmer Gaden
Leo Beranek
John Bardeen
Seymour Cray
Robert Moog
Hyman G. Rickover
Ludwig Prandtl

That's about it off the top of my head. :)

On Thu, 10 Sep 2009 17:50:40 -0700 (PDT), Tim
wrote:

On Sep 10, 12:09*pm, wrote:
[...]

I had to refresh my memory on Alexander Campbell, Tim. I had
remembered reading about him before; but, I couldn't remember where. I
like the choice of Newton. Most persons don't seem to realize that he
was a studied theologian, though he was a bit of a Unitarian and was
not particulary fond of the orthodox church. I read one of his essays
on biblical authorship, and it was fascinating.

On Thu, 10 Sep 2009 21:48:22 -0400, Tom Francis - SWSports
wrote:

[...]

That's a pretty formidable list. Tesla seems to have made some
headway in popularity in recent years even though history seemed to
have forgotten about him for half a century. Some have even theorized
that he was responsible for the Tunguska Blast. I think recent
Hollywood attention to Tesla has helped increase a modern appreciation
for his work in electrical engineering. I'm a bit surprised that you
didn't put Blaise Pascal down under Mathematicians. But it looks as
though he pre-dates most of the persons on your list, and if you
included a comprehensive list of notable mathematicians, it would be
'ginormous,' to say the least.