Default Too young

Has anyone else followed the story about the 13 yr old kid that wanted
to sail round the world alone? Lenore Skenazy who has previously
championed allowing kids a lot of freedom has an article against this
and I agree with her. 13 is just too young to have sufficient
judgement to take on the dangers of sailing round the world alone.
Children do not have civil rights because society believes they do not
have enough judgement so we do not allow them to make such decisions.

On Mon, 31 Aug 2009 14:11:47 -0700 (PDT), Frogwatch
wrote:

Has anyone else followed the story about the 13 yr old kid that wanted
to sail round the world alone? Lenore Skenazy who has previously
championed allowing kids a lot of freedom has an article against this
and I agree with her. 13 is just too young to have sufficient
judgement to take on the dangers of sailing round the world alone.
Children do not have civil rights because society believes they do not
have enough judgement so we do not allow them to make such decisions.

I agree she's too young. I'm surprised that this is happening in the
Netherlands though. Usually they're pretty free and easy about
everything.

BTW, you posted something about your dad a couple days ago. At least a
couple people here suggested you share it with your dad. Have you done
so?
--
John H

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those
who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
Thomas Jefferson

wrote:
[...]

Not exactly that but something similar for my dad. Turns out his
prognosis is pretty good. A couple of stents and medication and he
should do well.
What I did do was compile a list of things I remember from childhood.
When some of my sisters were there we rread them and laughed for a
couple of hours.

Frogwatch wrote:
Has anyone else followed the story about the 13 yr old kid that wanted
to sail round the world alone? Lenore Skenazy who has previously
championed allowing kids a lot of freedom has an article against this
and I agree with her. 13 is just too young to have sufficient
judgement to take on the dangers of sailing round the world alone.
Children do not have civil rights because society believes they do not
have enough judgement so we do not allow them to make such decisions.

Intelligence knows no age, wisdom and judgment come with experience and
experience can only come with time.
Jim Jim is offline

BAR wrote:
Frogwatch wrote:
Has anyone else followed the story about the 13 yr old kid that wanted
to sail round the world alone? Lenore Skenazy who has previously
championed allowing kids a lot of freedom has an article against this
and I agree with her. 13 is just too young to have sufficient
judgement to take on the dangers of sailing round the world alone.
Children do not have civil rights because society believes they do not
have enough judgement so we do not allow them to make such decisions.

Intelligence knows no age, wisdom and judgment come with experience and
experience can only come with time.

I read where the group that administers such things dropped the
"Youngest to . . ." category because of where it was headed.