Default Corporate thugs...of course.

Carwash Workers Win Big Victory in NLRB Settlement
Bookmark and Share

Carwash workers in Los Angeles won a major victory in their struggle for
better working conditions and decent pay. Today, the workers reached a
formal settlement in their National Labor Relations Board (NLRB)
complaint against Vermont Hand Wash, one of the area’s most notorious
anti-worker car washes.

As a result of the settlement, Vermont’s owners must pay more than
$50,000 in back pay to workers who were illegally fired for union activity.

The NLRB issued the complaint in late May alleging that Vermont’s
management targeted and then fired three workers because they sought to
form a union. According to the complaint, among other retaliatory acts,
Vermont management cut the hours of union supporters or assigned them
less desirable duties and unplugged the time clock when union supporters
picketed the carwash, resulting in a loss of wages to workers on the job.

******The complaint identifies one manager, Manuel Reyes, who, it says,
threatened employees on multiple occasions with bullets, a machete and a
combat knife. The NLRB also charged Reyes with similarly threatening two
union organizers with a side-handle billy club in front of carwash
employees.******

After the full NLRB’s likely approval of the settlement, the decision
will have the same effect as a board order and will be backed by an
enforcement decree from a federal appeals court. That means Vermont’s
owners, the Pirian brothers, could face jail time if they violate the
settlement.

The settlement prohibits Vermont Hand Wash from committing any of the
violations they already have committed, as well as any other violations
of the National Labor Relations Act.

Vermont Hand Wash worker Pedro Guzman, who will receive $1,650 back pay
under the deal, told a rally last week the workers suffered retaliation
and intimidation by the owner, Benny Pirian, when they tried to form a
union.

He took us into his office and interrogated us about our union
activities. And he even offered to compensate me if I would work on his
side against the union and my companeros. But I would never do that. Our
struggle continues with the incredible support from unions, students,
faith groups, old people, and young people, all of them willing to come
out and sweat under the sun to show us their solidarity.

Before the rally, Vermont’s owners pressured a billboard company to take
down a sign with the message: “Wash Away Injustice! Support Carwash
Workers.”

- - -

jps jps is offline

On Thu, 27 Aug 2009 13:45:38 -0400, H the K
wrote:

[...]

Skanky owners. If their people were treated well, they'd have never
sought to unionize in the first place.
Jim Jim is offline

wrote:

[...]

It couldn't have been such a bad place to work. If it was the employees
would seek employment elsewhere. That's what you'd do, isn't it?

"Jim" wrote in message
jps wrote:
Skanky owners. If their people were treated well, they'd have never
sought to unionize in the first place.

It couldn't have been such a bad place to work. If it was the employees
would seek employment elsewhere. That's what you'd do, isn't it?

The assumption on your part that it's possible to find other employment?

--
Nom=de=Plume

nom=de=plume wrote:
"Jim" wrote in message
jps wrote:
Skanky owners. If their people were treated well, they'd have never
sought to unionize in the first place.

It couldn't have been such a bad place to work. If it was the employees
would seek employment elsewhere. That's what you'd do, isn't it?

The assumption on your part that it's possible to find other employment?

flajim's only job was a sinecure in the navy.

--
Birther-Deather-Tenther-Teabagger:
Idiots All

"H the K" wrote in message
m...
flajim's only job was a sinecure in the navy.

I had to look that up... lol

--
Nom=de=Plume

nom=de=plume wrote:
"H the K" wrote in message
m...
flajim's only job was a sinecure in the navy.

I had to look that up... lol

flajim is one of our many secretive boatless righties. They "go after"
those they don't like but make sure they never reveal anything about
themselves.

flajim is such a pussy, he once asked another poster here to please not
mention what part of florida he lived in, because he was afraid a poster
here might show up on his doorstoop and punch him in the nose.

nom=de=plume wrote:
"Jim" wrote in message
jps wrote:
Skanky owners. If their people were treated well, they'd have never
sought to unionize in the first place.

It couldn't have been such a bad place to work. If it was the employees
would seek employment elsewhere. That's what you'd do, isn't it?

The assumption on your part that it's possible to find other employment?

Well if the only available employment is "workin at da ca wash" then
they should stop harassing the management and get to work before they
get fired.
Jim Jim is offline

H the K wrote:
nom=de=plume wrote:
"H the K" wrote in message
m...
flajim's only job was a sinecure in the navy.

I had to look that up... lol

flajim is one of our many secretive boatless righties. They "go after"
those they don't like but make sure they never reveal anything about
themselves.

flajim is such a pussy, he once asked another poster here to please not
mention what part of florida he lived in, because he was afraid a poster
here might show up on his doorstoop and punch him in the nose.

Yawn. You say you hold multiple degrees. You sure don't act like such a
person. Grow up.

Jim wrote:
H the K wrote:
nom=de=plume wrote:
"H the K" wrote in message
m...
flajim's only job was a sinecure in the navy.

I had to look that up... lol

flajim is one of our many secretive boatless righties. They "go after"
those they don't like but make sure they never reveal anything about
themselves.

flajim is such a pussy, he once asked another poster here to please
not mention what part of florida he lived in, because he was afraid a
poster here might show up on his doorstoop and punch him in the nose.

Yawn. You say you hold multiple degrees. You sure don't act like such a
person. Grow up.

He doesn't. He lies about every aspect of his life.