Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Steve Lawson

Default Winterizing myself?

The winterization process is not rocket science, but you do need to know
what you're doing in order to guarantee at a minimum that all water is
evacuated from the engine (or diluted with antifreeze). Changing out some
of the fluids is a pain in the butt sometimes also and better left to those
with the proper tools and equipment.

You can do it yourself or pay someone and the rub is when you do it
yourself, you're on your own. If you pay them to do it and something weird
happens, it becomes their problem, not yours as all winterizations from
reputable dealers should include a 'guarantee' that it's done right and you
don't have to worry about something freezing and breaking.+

Steve L.

"werlax" wrote in message
om...
It seems that everyone knows someone who has wrecked an engine by
improper winterizing. I was planning on just following the Mercruiser
engine manual and their recommended procedure. Having mentioned that
to a couple of friends, and their reaction, makes me wonder if there
is something that I should be aware of? Is this all just a mystique
perpetrated to get our money into the pockets of the marinas?
Should I do some additional reading at a URL or should the manual be
enough? For reference, the engine is a Mercruiser 4.3L I/O.
Thanks for any help!