Steve Lawson

Default Winterizing myself?

The winterization process is not rocket science, but you do need to know
what you're doing in order to guarantee at a minimum that all water is
evacuated from the engine (or diluted with antifreeze). Changing out some
of the fluids is a pain in the butt sometimes also and better left to those
with the proper tools and equipment.

You can do it yourself or pay someone and the rub is when you do it
yourself, you're on your own. If you pay them to do it and something weird
happens, it becomes their problem, not yours as all winterizations from
reputable dealers should include a 'guarantee' that it's done right and you
don't have to worry about something freezing and breaking.+

Steve L.

"werlax" wrote in message
om...
It seems that everyone knows someone who has wrecked an engine by
improper winterizing. I was planning on just following the Mercruiser
engine manual and their recommended procedure. Having mentioned that
to a couple of friends, and their reaction, makes me wonder if there
is something that I should be aware of? Is this all just a mystique
perpetrated to get our money into the pockets of the marinas?
Should I do some additional reading at a URL or should the manual be
enough? For reference, the engine is a Mercruiser 4.3L I/O.
Thanks for any help!

Gould 0738

If you want to winterize yourself, I suggest a healthy belt of Crown Royal.
Alcohol doesn't freeze. :-)
Paul

If this is your first boat I would recommend having the marina do it. If
possible watch and take notes so you can do it yourself next year. If you
want.

I'm new to this whole thing and to me the couple of hundred for a
winterization (I have twins ... engines not kids) seems like cheap
insurance -- especially considering my knowledge of the engines is limited
to "the noisy things where the money goes".

I'm having them do all my water/waste etc. this year too. I just don't feel
confident enough in my knowledge of the systems to go it alone. Next year
I'll do that part myself when it's less mysterious but everyone I know, even
with decades of experience, still lets the marina do the engines.

It just seems like too good a deal.

"werlax" wrote in message
om...
It seems that everyone knows someone who has wrecked an engine by
improper winterizing. I was planning on just following the Mercruiser
engine manual and their recommended procedure. Having mentioned that
to a couple of friends, and their reaction, makes me wonder if there
is something that I should be aware of? Is this all just a mystique
perpetrated to get our money into the pockets of the marinas?
Should I do some additional reading at a URL or should the manual be
enough? For reference, the engine is a Mercruiser 4.3L I/O.
Thanks for any help!

Jim -

There is nothing difficult or magic about winterizing and engine and water systems.
However, I have always let the marina handle this task....a concept called "risk
transfer". Let them pay the bill for a cracked engine block if the winterization was
not done properly.

More expensive? Yes. But a small price to pay for ease of mind.

"werlax" wrote in message
om...
It seems that everyone knows someone who has wrecked an engine by
improper winterizing. I was planning on just following the Mercruiser
engine manual and their recommended procedure. Having mentioned that
to a couple of friends, and their reaction, makes me wonder if there
is something that I should be aware of? Is this all just a mystique
perpetrated to get our money into the pockets of the marinas?
Should I do some additional reading at a URL or should the manual be
enough? For reference, the engine is a Mercruiser 4.3L I/O.
Thanks for any help!

noah

On Sat, 13 Sep 2003 02:28:53 GMT, "Jim -"
wrote:

"werlax" wrote in message
om...
It seems that everyone knows someone who has wrecked an engine by
improper winterizing. I was planning on just following the Mercruiser
engine manual and their recommended procedure. Having mentioned that
to a couple of friends, and their reaction, makes me wonder if there
is something that I should be aware of? Is this all just a mystique
perpetrated to get our money into the pockets of the marinas?
Should I do some additional reading at a URL or should the manual be
enough? For reference, the engine is a Mercruiser 4.3L I/O.
Thanks for any help!

Edit: There is nothing difficult or magic about winterizing *an* engine and water
*system*.

Brain fart. Sorry.

Don't you hate that?

noah )

noah

"werlax" wrote in message
om...
It seems that everyone knows someone who has wrecked an engine by
improper winterizing. I was planning on just following the Mercruiser
engine manual and their recommended procedure. Having mentioned that
to a couple of friends, and their reaction, makes me wonder if there
is something that I should be aware of? Is this all just a mystique
perpetrated to get our money into the pockets of the marinas?
Should I do some additional reading at a URL or should the manual be
enough? For reference, the engine is a Mercruiser 4.3L I/O.
Thanks for any help!

Edit: There is nothing difficult or magic about winterizing *an* engine and water
*system*.

Brain fart. Sorry.

Don't you just *hate* it when Usenet keeps repeating repeating
repeating *slap* yourself? )
noah
Woodchuck

I had my fresh water run Merc I/O for 13 years and never had a problem as
long as you follow the Merc manual. One thing to remember is when you remove
the water drain plugs "ALWAYS POKE A SMALL WIRE CUT FROM A COAT HANGER UP
INTO THE HOLE... AS SEDIMENT PLUGS THEM UP"! You may think all the water has
drained out or there is none in there(i.e. manifolds, block, etc) but don't
be fooled. Any cooling hoses you remove just leave them off until spring.
Fog the engine and treat the fuel. That's all I did...