posted to rec.boats.paddle

Default To Lie or Not to Lie About Sponsons

Dear Melissa, unfortunately you have made a poor choice, unlike the 2
ten year old girls in the pictures: http://www.sponsonguy.com who can
rescue themselves in 5 seconds plus any other swimmers in the water,
without any practice or instruction; just clip on 50 cent sponsons.
Slim Jim Stuart realized he was endangering children and stopped. You,
Melissa recognized that depending on rolling to save human life was
foolish: "Finally, a small comment about "bombproof" rolls...

Even after many years of hardly ever missing a roll when I really
needed it, I'm still wary of the "bombproof" concept. After all, if
I'm paddling along and a bomb is dropped on me, trying to roll back
up would probably be a moot point. Serioiusly though, while we
can--and should--constantly practice our rolling and other
self-rescue techniques, I think we might ultimately be doing
ourselves a disservice by convincing ourselves that we can develop
rolls that will, without doubt, always bring us up under any and all
circumstances. Overconfidence can really harsh one's mellow at just
the wrong moment.

Perhaps the most dangerous thing for anyone--in any field of
endeavor--is to feel that they've entirely "mastered" anything. For
one thing, life would be terribly boring if we ever got to the point
of being able to "duplicate perfection" at every turn, with nothing
more to learn (define "repeatable perfection", after all). When it
comes to self-rescue skills, convincing ourselves that we've actually
perfected a technique to the point of "bombproofness"-or perhaps more
appropriately "foolproofness"--is a fools game that could just turn a
fine paddling day into a tragic day.

No matter how good you are, only "beginner's mind" will help you get
better."

You see Melissa, when someone misses a roll, like the World Champions
in Greenland who use a powerboat when their rolls fail, you could be
dead. You see Melissa, when you can't rescue yourself with a roll, you
don't have a powerboat. You see, Melissa when you can't get out of the
water with the most simple, foolproof and fastest method (Sponsons),
like 2 ten year old girls who can rescue others, like the Coast Guard
Sponsoned Rescue Kayaks, you look like a criminally corrupt American
like Bush Cheney. Think it over. Slim Jim did.

Tim

http://www.sponsonguy.com

On Jul 29, 7:06 pm, watersprite
wrote:
Hello Timmy, you wrote:
Excellent post Melissa. Of course, "bombproof" is a crazy "cult"
idea. You have joined the intelligent and now reasonable Slim Jim
Stuart: [snip]

I may have different views than some concerning the concept of
"bombproof" rolling and the types of skills practicing we do, but
please don't take my words and use them for your own delusional
purposes. I, personally, have no use for your Sponsons (nor, as a
matter of fact, do I see Jim Stuart endorsing them).

Frankly, your constant touting of your Sponsons as the be all/end all
of kayak safety can do more damage than those who feel they can
develop a "bombproof" roll. At least they're working on versatile
skills that can be constantly improved upon, and not relying on a
mechanical device that is severly limited in its utility/usefulness.
When it comes to paddling, I'd much rather depend upon my own
judgment and skills than on any single bit of equipment.

You have freedom of speech, so go ahead and say whatever you like
about this or that, but please, as a favor to me, I'd ask you not to
use me or my words to make your points, as I do not endorse your
point of view.

--
Melissa

posted to rec.boats.paddle

wrote:
Hello Timmy, you wrote:
[...]

Tim,

Do you also post qabout propane and mountain bikes?
posted to rec.boats.paddle

On Sep 5, 8:31*am, nothermark wrote:
On Fri, 31 Jul 2009, TimIngram wrote:
Dear Melissa, unfortunately you have made a poor choice, unlike the 2
ten year old girls in the pictures:http://www.sponsonguy.com*who can
rescue themselves in 5 seconds [...]

Do you also post about propane and mountain bikes?

Abortion? Drunk driving? Child safety seats? Low fat diets?
posted to rec.boats.paddle

On Sep 10, 10:17*pm, Davej wrote:
On Sep 5, 8:31*am, nothermark wrote:

On Fri, 31 Jul 2009, TimIngram wrote:
Dear Melissa, unfortunately you have made a poor choice, unlike the 2
ten year old girls in the pictures:http://www.sponsonguy.com*who can
rescue themselves in 5 seconds [...]

Do you also post about propane and mountain bikes?

Abortion? Drunk driving? Child safety seats? Low fat diets?

Nuke the unborn gay whales!

;-)

John Kuthe...

Sponsons? BB General 0 February 29th 04 04:23 PM
Anyone using Sponsons? Tim Ingram General 12 February 28th 04 11:11 PM
Anyone using Sponsons? Brian Nystrom Touring 13 February 28th 04 11:11 PM
Anyone using Sponsons? lcopps Touring 12 February 22nd 04 12:23 PM
Anyone using Sponsons? Matt Langenfeld Touring 3 February 22nd 04 01:08 AM