jps jps is offline

Default Gun saves another day

Seattle sound engineer fatally shot as he tried to enter wrong motel
room

By Nick Perry Seattle Times staff reporter

More details emerged Sunday in the bizarre shooting death of renowned
local sound engineer Tom Pfaeffle.

Pfaeffle, 49, who had worked with music groups that include Nirvana,
The Black Crowes and Heart, owned and operated The Tank, a recording
studio adjacent to his home in the woods of Black Diamond. He also
worked as an instructor at the Art Institute of Seattle, teaching
audio production.

He is survived by a wife and four children.

Pfaeffle was killed Friday at the Blue Spruce Motel in Twisp. Twisp
Police Chief Rick Balam said Pfaeffle and his wife were in town to
attend a birthday party when it appeared the couple inadvertently
returned to the wrong room at about 10:40 p.m.

Pfaeffle apparently was trying to put his key into Unit 7 when a man
inside shot at him, the chief said.

Pfaeffle and his wife managed to retreat and take cover behind a car
in the parking lot, Balam said. Emergency crews later took Pfaeffle to
the Mid-Valley Hospital in Omak, where he died about two hours after
the shooting.

Balam said the shooter also fired a bullet that nearly hit a man in
adjacent Unit 6. That bullet tore through the wall and a mirror.

A man in his late 70s was lying on his bed at the time, reading a
newspaper with the television on, the police chief said. He was
injured from falling debris, suffering a black eye.

When Balam arrived, he was able to speak to the suspect, a 57-year-old
Seattle man, by phoning him from the manager's office. Balam said he
was quickly able to persuade the man to leave his unit and surrender.

The man is to be arraigned today on charges of second-degree murder
and assault.

Balam said the man could not reasonably argue he was defending himself
against potential intruders: "He had a total disregard for human
safety," Balam said. "It's just crazy."

Family friend and Art Institute colleague Jim Rivers said Pfaeffle's
wife told him it took nearly two hours for an ambulance to arrive at
the remote town and get Pfaeffle to Omak. Rivers said Pfaeffle was
conscious and talking the whole time.

Rivers said his understanding is that one bullet struck Pfaeffle in
the arm, the other in his kidney and liver. Omak hospital staff were
preparing to airlift Pfaeffle to Spokane or Seattle when he died,
Rivers said, apparently due to the amount of blood he'd lost.

"He was one of the most honest, caring guys I know," Rivers said. "He
was a great dad. You just can't believe that this happened to him."

Steve Barsotti, the academic director of the Art Institute's audio
program, said Pfaeffle was an intense, driven man who essentially
worked two full-time jobs.

"He had the utmost respect from all of his students," Barsotti said.
"He earned his respect day to day, in the way he treated his students,
his complete control over the content of the program and his
professionalism."

Barsotti said Pfaeffle also was a great cook who loved to make sushi.
He would sometimes unwind by playing guitar.

"He never sat still," Barsotti said. "He never stopped learning."

On Tue, 21 Jul 2009 18:19:04 -0400, Gene
wrote:

On Mon, 20 Jul 2009 23:57:50 -0700, jps wrote:

http://www.ubersite.com/m/18886

That makes the point, doesn't it!
--

John H

wrote:

On Mon, 20 Jul 2009 23:57:50 -0700, jps wrote:

http://www.ubersite.com/m/18886

That makes the point, doesn't it!

Yeah, that a gun works a hell of lot better killing somebody through a
door or wall. Or from across the street for that matter.

--Vic

On Tue, 21 Jul 2009 19:20:38 -0400, Gene
wrote:

On Tue, 21 Jul 2009 18:08:06 -0500, Vic Smith
wrote:

http://tinyurl.com/gesg2

pffffft

http://tinyurl.com/dodrm

--Vic

wrote:

On Mon, 20 Jul 2009 23:57:50 -0700, jps wrote:

http://www.ubersite.com/m/18886

That makes the point, doesn't it!

Yeah, that a gun works a hell of lot better killing somebody through a
door or wall. Or from across the street for that matter.

--Vic

Use a bow for that.

http://videos.komando.com/2009/07/21/
--

John H

wrote:

On Mon, 20 Jul 2009 23:57:50 -0700, jps wrote:

http://www.ubersite.com/m/18886

That makes the point, doesn't it!

Yeah, that a gun works a hell of lot better killing somebody through a
door or wall. Or from across the street for that matter.

--Vic

Use a bow for that.

http://videos.komando.com/2009/07/21/

He's a natural. Know how that feels.
When I was a kid I could kill flies on the wing from ten feet - with
the rubber bands I used on my paper route.
From 10-20 feet the fly had be lit. Rubber band ballistics.
Limits the killing power at range.
Some kind of hand/eye coordination I think they call it.
Amazed everybody.
Gave it up at about 14 - the family fame didn't suit me and I was
fearful of getting a big head about it.
Kept my modesty ever since, but I know you won't think I'm bragging or
something, so I don't mind telling you.

--Vic
Tim Tim is offline

just today. the victim was from St. Louis Mo.

http://www.seattlepi.com/local/40830...ml?source=mypi
Tim Tim is offline

wrote:

On Mon, 20 Jul 2009 23:57:50 -0700, jps wrote:

http://www.ubersite.com/m/18886

That makes the point, doesn't it!

Yeah, that a gun works a hell of lot better killing somebody through a
door or wall. *Or from across the street for that matter.

--Vic

Use a bow for that.

http://videos.komando.com/2009/07/21/

He's a natural. *Know how that feels.
When I was a kid I could kill flies on the wing from ten feet - with
the rubber bands I used on my paper route.
From 10-20 feet the fly had be lit. *Rubber band ballistics.
Limits the killing power at range.
Some kind of hand/eye coordination I think they call it.
Amazed everybody.
Gave it up at about 14 - the family fame didn't suit me and I was
fearful of getting a big head about it.
Kept my modesty ever since, but I know you won't think I'm bragging or
something, so I don't mind telling you.

--Vic

I bet this guy can 'nail' flies any day, any time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZS09fGEvws
jps jps is offline

On Tue, 21 Jul 2009 20:36:04 -0700 (PDT), Tim
wrote:

just today. the victim was from St. Louis Mo.

http://www.seattlepi.com/local/40830...ml?source=mypi

Guess what? One of them has survived.

Would that have happened with a gun? Nope.

He thought he had killed them both.

Bullets to the head would have made it for sure.

Glad he had a knife instead. 100% improvement on mortality rate.

wrote:

just today. the victim was from St. Louis Mo.

http://www.seattlepi.com/local/40830...ml?source=mypi

Guess what? One of them has survived.

Would that have happened with a gun? Nope.

He thought he had killed them both.

Bullets to the head would have made it for sure.

Glad he had a knife instead. 100% improvement on mortality rate.

Much more likely to die from a knife wound than a gun shot.

OT McCain saves the nation! Capt. JG ASA 1 September 29th 08 02:20 AM
Pollution saves Jap Joe ASA 14 October 8th 07 04:19 AM
News Story: Company Saves Classic Yachts Alex Boat Building 0 March 26th 07 06:46 PM
Good Samaritan Saves Clueless Boaters [email protected] General 1 June 10th 06 06:52 PM
17'er saves a guy that lost his 25' er Scott McFadden General 4 September 20th 03 04:03 PM