Default '95 Johnson 150HP - Engine fuse blown, how to fix?

Hey,

Curious if anyone can help me out with this. I've got a '95 Johnson
150HP, and yesterday when we were heading in we had a wire get crossed
in the battery well. We caught the problem pretty quickly, but not
before it blew the fuse inside the engine cover. The fuse looks to be
a 32V / 20A fuse but its much shorter than usual and it's not a brand
I recognize.

I replaced the relays in the engine too, and put in a standard 32V /
20A fuse. This allowed me to use the trim buttons so energy was
flowing through. But the moment I try to start it, the fuse
immediately burns out.

Is there a specific kind of fuse I should be using instead of the
standard one?

Does the fact that I can use the trim function when the standard fuse
is in place mean that the short is somewhere between the fuse and the
starter?

Is it possible my starter is completely blown?

Any advice would be helpful!

"Old Reliable" wrote in message
Hey,

Curious if anyone can help me out with this. I've got a '95 Johnson
150HP, and yesterday when we were heading in we had a wire get crossed
in the battery well. We caught the problem pretty quickly, but not
before it blew the fuse inside the engine cover. The fuse looks to be
a 32V / 20A fuse but its much shorter than usual and it's not a brand
I recognize.

The fuse is a # AGA20 that you should be able to find at an automotive
supply store or a Johnson-Evinrude dealership.

You will have to find out where the short is located and you might start in
the area where the wire was crossed. If the battery cables were reversed
then the regulator could be damaged and the purple "sense" wire to it may be
shorted inside.

Since it blows the fuse as soon as the key is turned to ON, then trace where
the purple wire goes, as that one supplies the 12volts to the electrical
system.

Bill Grannis
service manager