Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
HK HK is offline

Default More 'religious' criminals

Medical examiner: Ore. girl appeared malnourished
By JOSEPH B. FRAZIER, Associated Press Writer Joseph B. Frazier,
Associated Press Writer 1 hr 8 mins ago

OREGON CITY, Ore. – A 15-month-old girl whose parents belong to a
congregation that shuns doctors appeared to be malnourished after her
death from pneumonia, a medical examiner testified Tuesday in the
manslaughter trial of her parents.

Raylene and Carl Brent Worthington of Oregon City are members of the
***Followers of Christ Church*** and are accused of manslaughter and
criminal mistreatment in the March 2008 death of their child, Ava, who
didn't get a doctor's care.

The state medical examiner said she could easily have been treated with
antibiotics for her pneumonia.

The trial opened on Monday, with the lawyers for her parents saying they
thought the girl was getting better as they and other members of the
church went through faith healing rituals — such as anointing her with
oil and the laying on of hands.

After the girl's death, her body was examined by Clackamas County Deputy
Medical Examiner Jeffrey Mayer.

On Tuesday, Mayer said he went to the girl's bedroom and saw a
humidifier and fan running and a TV tray containing a red liquid he
assumed was wine and olive oil. He said both are commonly used by
members of the congregation.

Mayer said the girl appeared to be malnourished, with protruding ribs
and weight "not consistent with peer weight." Mayer also testified about
a cyst-like growth found on the girl's neck, which prosecutors say was
caused by her lymphatic system struggling against the infection.

"I have never seen anything like that in my experience," he said.

Mayer testified that his office had a good relationship with the church,
dealing frequently with the members because they do not have attending
physicians present when they die. It's up to his office to sign the
death certificate, he said.

He said about 200 people, whom he assumed to be church members, had
gathered at the home just east of Oregon City when he arrived to examine
the body.

Also at the court hearing, Mayer played taped interviews he had with the
Worthingtons the night their daughter died. The parents told him the
girl had never seen a doctor and not been given any over-the-counter
medication.

In the interview, Raylene Worthington said she noticed the swelling on
Ava's neck getting substantially larger during her daughter's final
days. She also said Ava developed a cough and it worsened.

Carl Brent Worthington said his wife was with their daughter on the bed
when Ava died.

"I ran to the bedroom," he said. "They said she had quit breathing."

Asked during the taped interview if he called 911, he said he did not.
When asked why, he said: "She was already gone. I anointed her."

- - -

I personally guarantee that Jesus never suggested starving your children
or ignoring their health needs.

More religious craziness HK General 1 May 13th 09 05:19 PM
religious humor Calif Bill General 7 December 10th 08 05:43 PM
Maybe a little too religious for some... John H. General 84 December 29th 07 01:28 PM
White Criminals Capt. Rob ASA 26 July 11th 06 01:23 AM
(OT) "We are in a religious war" [email protected] General 0 March 24th 04 01:24 AM