Tim Tim is offline

Default River Monsters -Wells Catfish

Anybody watch "River Monsters" last night? It was on the Wells
catfish. with some of these monsters being well over 200 lb. the
biggest the guy caught was in Spain and it weighed 177 lb. Once it was
pulled on shore it seemed rather docil and harmless, but once it was
gently taken back into the water, the thing snapped around like it was
going to take the guys leg off.

the guy doing the fishing said it was quite possible that these things
could actually eat a human baby as ancient folklore had said.

I couldn't believe those huge filets being tuned loose. *Sniff*

MMC MMC is offline

"Tim" wrote in message
Anybody watch "River Monsters" last night? It was on the Wells
catfish. with some of these monsters being well over 200 lb. the
biggest the guy caught was in Spain and it weighed 177 lb. Once it was
pulled on shore it seemed rather docil and harmless, but once it was
gently taken back into the water, the thing snapped around like it was
going to take the guys leg off.

the guy doing the fishing said it was quite possible that these things
could actually eat a human baby as ancient folklore had said.

I couldn't believe those huge filets being tuned loose. *Sniff*

Yeah, but who's got a cast iron skillet that big?

Tim Tim is offline

On Jun 20, 8:30*am, "mmc" wrote:
"Tim" wrote in message

... Anybody watch "River Monsters" last night? *It was on the Wells
catfish. with some of these monsters being well over 200 lb. *the
biggest the guy caught was in Spain and it weighed 177 lb. Once it was
pulled on shore it seemed rather docil and harmless, but once it was
gently taken back into the water, the thing snapped around like it was
going to take the guys leg off.

the guy doing the fishing said it was quite possible that these things
could actually eat a human baby as ancient folklore had said.

I couldn't believe those huge filets being tuned loose. **Sniff*

Yeah, but who's got a cast iron skillet that big?

You have a point there.Besides that it would probably take the fun out
of fishing.

at 157 -200 Lb.?

One catch and you have a freezer full.

On Sat, 20 Jun 2009 06:41:20 -0700 (PDT), Tim
wrote:

On Jun 20, 8:30*am, "mmc" wrote:
"Tim" wrote in message

... Anybody watch "River Monsters" last night? *It was on the Wells
catfish. with some of these monsters being well over 200 lb. *the
biggest the guy caught was in Spain and it weighed 177 lb. Once it was
pulled on shore it seemed rather docil and harmless, but once it was
gently taken back into the water, the thing snapped around like it was
going to take the guys leg off.

the guy doing the fishing said it was quite possible that these things
could actually eat a human baby as ancient folklore had said.

I couldn't believe those huge filets being tuned loose. **Sniff*

Yeah, but who's got a cast iron skillet that big?

You have a point there.Besides that it would probably take the fun out
of fishing.

at 157 -200 Lb.?

One catch and you have a freezer full.

That's part of the problem with the Mekong Giant catfish which is
endangered - it actually isn't a bad tasting fish. Unlike most muddy
water catfish which taste like...well, mud...it's pretty good. Had
some back in the day.

No - I won't tell you the story either. :)
HK HK is offline

wrote:

On Jun 20, 8:30 am, "mmc" wrote:
"Tim" wrote in message

... Anybody watch "River Monsters" last night? It was on the Wells
catfish. with some of these monsters being well over 200 lb. the
biggest the guy caught was in Spain and it weighed 177 lb. Once it was
pulled on shore it seemed rather docil and harmless, but once it was
gently taken back into the water, the thing snapped around like it was
going to take the guys leg off.
the guy doing the fishing said it was quite possible that these things
could actually eat a human baby as ancient folklore had said.
I couldn't believe those huge filets being tuned loose. *Sniff*
Yeah, but who's got a cast iron skillet that big?

You have a point there.Besides that it would probably take the fun out
of fishing.

at 157 -200 Lb.?

One catch and you have a freezer full.

The boys in Louisiana "grab" them. They wade along the edges of the
banks feeling for them up under the lip and drag them out by hand.
Sometimes it takes a couple guys to rassle them up onto the bank.
I guess they grab a gator now and then, that is why guys have names
like "Lefty" and "Stumpy".

It's evolution in action, as there are many "biting" critters that make
use of the holes under river banks, including snakes. I have no idea how
many guys are drowned, seriously bitten, or otherwise made less relevant
by "noodling," but however many it is, their demise helps raise the
general level of intelligence for future births.

Fillets, chunks, steaks, et cetera, from really big fish sometimes taste
terrible or are as tough as leather, or both. Is it safe to assume this
is not the case with giant catfish?

P.S. If you are going to freeze fish for any significant length of time,
you might as well buy Mrs. Paul's fish sticks. Vacuum bagging and then
freezing can be worthwhile, though.

wrote:

On Jun 20, 8:30 am, "mmc" wrote:
"Tim" wrote in message

[...]

Ah Ha Our own resident fish monger educates about fish. Is iced down
fresh off the boat better and fresher than fish properly processed and
packaged at sea?

On Sat, 20 Jun 2009 11:48:34 -0400, Jim24242
wrote:

wrote:

On Jun 20, 8:30 am, "mmc" wrote:
"Tim" wrote in message

[...]

Mr. Science strikes again.

Here comes the explanation that he only goes to local fish markets run
by crusty old women fish mongers and picks out the best catch of the
day from local fishermen.

3 - 2 - 1...
MMC MMC is offline

wrote:

On Jun 20, 8:30 am, "mmc" wrote:
"Tim" wrote in message

[...]

Ha!
"Don't get out of the boat"!

wrote:

On Jun 20, 8:30 am, "mmc" wrote:
"Tim" wrote in message

[...]

They call it "noodling". Type it into YouTube and sit back...

Grappling is also an accepted term.

Nuts is what I call it. That's why God invented fishing poles.

By the by, if you ever want to do some cat fishing, drop me a line and
I'll give you my secret recipe for catfish bait - I've got a sure
fire, never miss concoction that will net some monster channel cats.

Potomac Catfish Vic Smith General 32 August 15th 08 03:12 AM
.Sea Monsters. Gilligan ASA 3 August 27th 06 03:22 PM
Encountering Sea Monsters Bryan General 0 December 21st 05 11:19 AM
Holy Catfish, Batman! Shortwave Sportfishing General 6 June 30th 05 10:59 PM
Monsters on TV Doug Kanter General 4 April 13th 05 04:17 AM