Default The nice thing about Marine Corps Base Quantico...

....are the guards at the gates. They are Marines and not rent-a-cops
that many of the military installations are now using.

Today the guard was a young, Private First Class, who gave me a very
crisp salute after returning my ID card.

I said to him, "Marine, can I shake your hand?"

He replied, "Absolutely, Sir!" And the quick handshake took place.

We both had big smiles on our faces. (Of course, he probably didn't
realize I was retired Army!) :)
--
John H

I once shook hands with a pudgy guy who:

Sailed from San Francisco to Hawaii.
Rounded Cape Horn, twice.
Transited the Panama Canal.
Has owned more than 20 boats in his lifetime.
Sailed large boats competitively.
Has been hundreds of miles from land in a powerboat
under his command.

And who set a new record for the most distance covered
and most fish caught in the Chesapeake Bay in the shortest
time!

John H wrote:
...are the guards at the gates. They are Marines and not rent-a-cops
that many of the military installations are now using.

Today the guard was a young, Private First Class, who gave me a very
crisp salute after returning my ID card.

I said to him, "Marine, can I shake your hand?"

He replied, "Absolutely, Sir!" And the quick handshake took place.

We both had big smiles on our faces. (Of course, he probably didn't
realize I was retired Army!) :)
--
John H

Doesn't matter. You showed respect for each other.

"John H" wrote in message
...are the guards at the gates. They are Marines and not rent-a-cops
that many of the military installations are now using.

Today the guard was a young, Private First Class, who gave me a very
crisp salute after returning my ID card.

I said to him, "Marine, can I shake your hand?"

He replied, "Absolutely, Sir!" And the quick handshake took place.

We both had big smiles on our faces. (Of course, he probably didn't
realize I was retired Army!) :)
--
John H

If he knew how you repeatedly disrespected his Commander in Chief, he would
have run your skanky butt off the base ASAP.

HK HK is offline

Don White wrote:
"John H" wrote in message
...are the guards at the gates. They are Marines and not rent-a-cops
that many of the military installations are now using.

Today the guard was a young, Private First Class, who gave me a very
crisp salute after returning my ID card.

I said to him, "Marine, can I shake your hand?"

He replied, "Absolutely, Sir!" And the quick handshake took place.

We both had big smiles on our faces. (Of course, he probably didn't
realize I was retired Army!) :)
--
John H

If he knew how you repeatedly disrespected his Commander in Chief, he would
have run your skanky butt off the base ASAP.

The marine probably ran to the rest room immediately afterwards, to wash
the slime off his hand.

On Thu, 18 Jun 2009 12:22:44 -0300, "Don White"
wrote:

"John H" wrote in message
.. .
...are the guards at the gates. They are Marines and not rent-a-cops
that many of the military installations are now using.

Today the guard was a young, Private First Class, who gave me a very
crisp salute after returning my ID card.

I said to him, "Marine, can I shake your hand?"

He replied, "Absolutely, Sir!" And the quick handshake took place.

We both had big smiles on our faces. (Of course, he probably didn't
realize I was retired Army!) :)
--
John H

If he knew how you repeatedly disrespected his Commander in Chief, he would
have run your skanky butt off the base ASAP.

Ok, Donnie, see if you can understand this:

There is nothing in military law that says I must respect an
individual who outranks me. That includes the President, SecDef, and
on down the line. Furthermore, even if I were on active duty, I would
be allowed to express all the adverse criticism of those individuals
that I desired during any political discussion.

Hopefully, you just learned something.
--
John H

I once shook hands with a pudgy guy who:

Sailed from San Francisco to Hawaii.
Rounded Cape Horn, twice.
Transited the Panama Canal.
Has owned more than 20 boats in his lifetime.
Sailed large boats competitively.
Has been hundreds of miles from land in a powerboat
under his command.

And who set a new record for the most distance covered
and most fish caught in the Chesapeake Bay in the shortest
time!

jps jps is offline

On Thu, 18 Jun 2009 11:29:40 -0400, HK wrote:

Don White wrote:
"John H" wrote in message
...are the guards at the gates. They are Marines and not rent-a-cops
that many of the military installations are now using.

Today the guard was a young, Private First Class, who gave me a very
crisp salute after returning my ID card.

I said to him, "Marine, can I shake your hand?"

He replied, "Absolutely, Sir!" And the quick handshake took place.

We both had big smiles on our faces. (Of course, he probably didn't
realize I was retired Army!) :)
--
John H

If he knew how you repeatedly disrespected his Commander in Chief, he would
have run your skanky butt off the base ASAP.

The marine probably ran to the rest room immediately afterwards, to wash
the slime off his hand.

Hopefully he had gloves on.
Tim Tim is offline

On Jun 18, 11:25*am, John H wrote:
On Thu, 18 Jun 2009 12:22:44 -0300, "Don White"

wrote:

"John H" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Agreed. You respect the rank not necessarily the person who holds it.
(Even though most I did)

When my DD was processed, I had no CiC. But for the previous 3 yrs I
did. I had two. The first I respected as CiC. The second I respected
as CiC and President.

On Thu, 18 Jun 2009 23:19:03 -0700 (PDT), Tim
wrote:

On Jun 18, 11:25*am, John H wrote:
On Thu, 18 Jun 2009 12:22:44 -0300, "Don White"

wrote:

"John H" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Tim, if you're referring to your discharge papers, i.e. your DD 214,
that's one thing. Normally, the acronym DD is used for 'Dishonorable
Discharge'. I don't think you got that! (At least that's the way I
remeber it!)
--
John H

I once shook hands with a pudgy guy who:

Sailed from San Francisco to Hawaii.
Rounded Cape Horn, twice.
Transited the Panama Canal.
Has owned more than 20 boats in his lifetime.
Sailed large boats competitively.
Has been hundreds of miles from land in a powerboat
under his command.

And who set a new record for the most distance covered
and most fish caught in the Chesapeake Bay in the shortest
time!

On Fri, 19 Jun 2009 06:48:43 -0400, John H
wrote:

Tim, if you're referring to your discharge papers, i.e. your DD 214,
that's one thing. Normally, the acronym DD is used for 'Dishonorable
Discharge'. I don't think you got that! (At least that's the way I
remeber it!)

I was a discharge clerk. There were five kinds of discharge in the
USAF, and a dishonorable one could only be had as the sentence of a
general court martial. Any garden variety ****up would have gotten a
administrative 'undesirable discharge' long before it got to the court
martial stage. A DD would go with a serious felony, murder, rape,
armed robbery, something really heavy. I had five hundred of the
forms, and I never even heard of anyone getting a DD. I drew up three
Bad Conduct discharges. Guy drank, drove, crashed, killed his best
friend the passanger. He got five years in the state pen, and a BCD.

Casady
Tim Tim is offline

wrote:

On Jun 18, 11:25*am, John H wrote:
On Thu, 18 Jun 2009 12:22:44 -0300, "Don White"

wrote:

"John H" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Your correct John. i did receive Honorable DD214. then I "DeeDee'd"
out of there.

you know what I mean.

Marine Corps Museum John[_6_] General 8 December 16th 08 05:34 AM
A very nice thing they did JimH General 57 May 3rd 06 12:52 PM
Nice marine scene artwork, decent prices JimH General 0 January 31st 06 12:24 AM
Nice marine scene artwork, decent prices JohnH General 0 January 29th 06 01:41 PM
FY 2004 CORPS DREDGE SCHEDULE Capt. Dave General 6 January 14th 04 06:12 PM