Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
HK HK is offline

Default Don't Ya Just Love It? GOP 'Morality' Lapses

Couple in Ensign scandal question his motives
By KATHLEEN HENNESSEY, Associated Press Writer Kathleen Hennessey,

LAS VEGAS – Sen. John Ensign has been quick to describe his dalliance
with an aide in brief and simple terms. The affair is over. The
apologies made and accepted. No questions will be answered, the married
Nevada Republican said in his brief admission of infidelity.

But the first public statement from the woman once involved with the
51-year-old rising political star suggests more is brewing behind
Ensign's neat account.

Cindy Hampton and her husband, a couple Ensign has described as "close
friends," issued sharp remarks Wednesday through an attorney.

"It is unfortunate the senator chose to air this very personal matter,
especially after the Hamptons did everything possible to keep this
matter private," Las Vegas lawyer Daniel Albregts said in the statement.
"It is equally unfortunate that he did so without concern for the effect
such an announcement would have on the Hampton family. In time the
Hamptons will be ready and willing to tell their side of the story."

The lawyer declined to answer questions.

An Associated Press review of federal records showed that around the
time of the affair, Cindy Hampton, 46, received a promotion and a pay
raise at one political entity controlled by Ensign and a pay raise at a
second. Her husband, Doug, was an employee in Ensign's Senate office,
and a golfing buddy.

Since Ensign admitted the affair Tuesday at a hastily arranged news
briefing in Las Vegas, he and his staff have refused to comment. It
remains unclear what prompted the unexpected announcement.

The disclosure resurrected questions about a two-week period in 2002
when Ensign abruptly dropped from public view. A person familiar with
that episode, speaking on condition of anonymity because of the
sensitivity of the matter, said the senator told a close associate the
absence followed an earlier affair.

Ensign, in his second term, has said he intends to remain in the Senate.

He offered to resign as head of the Republican Policy Committee in a
phone call Wednesday with Sen. Mitch McConnell, the party leader.

"He's accepted responsibility for his actions and apologized to his
family and constituents. He offered, and I accepted, his resignation as
chairman of the Policy Committee," McConnell, R-Ky., said.

At his news briefing Tuesday, Ensign said the affair he had last year
was "the worst thing I have ever done in my life."

"Our families were close. That closeness put me into situations which
led to my inappropriate behavior," he said.

Ensign's office says he had carried out a consensual affair from
December 2007 through August 2008 with a "campaign staffer who worked at
Ensign for Senate and Battle Born PAC from December 2006 to May 2008.
The campaign employee was married to an official Senate staffer who
worked for Senator Ensign. As of May 2008 neither employee worked for
Senator Ensign."

Neither Ensign nor his aides would name the woman or her husband, but
the statement from the Hamptons' lawyer removed any mystery about her
identity.

Federal records show Cynthia Hampton was on the payroll of Ensign's
Battle Born Political Action Committee at $1,385.24 a month until she
was appointed treasurer and her salary was doubled to $2,771.50 starting
in February 2008.

Her salary also doubled at Ensign's campaign committee, where she was
treasurer, beginning around the time the affair began. It went from $500
a month to $1,000 a month.

Records also show Doug Hampton, 47, received a monthly salary of $13,555
as an administrative assistant in Ensign's Senate office. He received a
payment of $19,679 for his final month of employment and was off the
payroll on May 1, 2008, according to Senate records.

Additionally, the National Republican Senatorial Committee made
twice-monthly payments, generally $500 apiece, to Brandon Hampton, who
Republican officials said was the couple's son. The payments began in
March of last year and ended in August, when Ensign's office says the
affair ended.

On Wednesday, reporters lingered outside the Hamptons' home, a
12,000-square-foot mansion just minutes from the Ensign family home in
another private, gate-guarded community.

A housekeeper who answered the door said the Hamptons were away.

Later, Doug Hampton returned, entered the house and emerged briefly to
plead for privacy before driving away. He referred questions to his lawyer.

Shoveling morality HK General 16 May 26th 09 05:03 PM
Oh, please love me! Capt. Rob ASA 4 November 8th 05 11:32 PM
lately, go love a cap Kathy ASA 0 April 22nd 05 01:58 PM
For the Love of Mac! Bobsprit ASA 4 March 8th 04 07:32 PM
I think I'm in love. Simple Simon ASA 0 October 27th 03 12:38 AM