Tim Tim is offline

Default The last surviving Titanic passenger dies at age 97

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp...bsFUceORMEVCSA

On Sun, 31 May 2009 20:36:04 -0700 (PDT), Tim
wrote:

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp...bsFUceORMEVCSA

Well, I guess the iceberg won in the end huh?

On Jun 1, 7:33*am, Zombie of Woodstock wrote:
On Sun, 31 May 2009 20:36:04 -0700 (PDT), Tim
wrote:

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp...nXALyTL4CYbsFU...

Well, I guess the iceberg won in the end huh? *

Nah... we already killed it with "global warming". ;-)
Tim Tim is offline

wrote:

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp...nXALyTL4CYbsFU...

Sad. *There were 120 Irish folks aboard as 3rd class. Only one, Anna
Kelly, made it out alive. She threw her life and possibility of
progeny away as a nun.

Somehow, the Irish always seem to get (or yield to) *the short
end......
--

Forté Agent 5.00 Build 1171

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by
the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do.
So, throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor.
Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover." * - Unknown

Grady-White Gulfstream, out of Oak Island, NC.

Homepagehttp://pamandgene.tranquilrefuge.net/boating/the_boat/my_boat.htm

"She threw her life and possibility of progeny away as a nun."

Oh, I don't know if she "threw it away" . maybe she thought of it as
a gesture of gratitude for Salvation. But I won't judge.

"Somehow, the Irish always seem to get (or yield to) the short
end......"

Yes, My maternal great grand parents came here from England in the
mid-1880's and some of my great grandfather's cousins were in the 16th
Ulster's . From what I gather 7 of them went to Flanders.

And stayed.

wrote:

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp...bsFUceORMEVCSA

Sad. There were 120 Irish folks aboard as 3rd class. Only one, Anna
Kelly, made it out alive. She threw her life and possibility of
progeny away as a nun.

Somehow, the Irish always seem to get (or yield to) the short
end......
--

Forté Agent 5.00 Build 1171

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by
the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do.
So, throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor.
Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover." - Unknown

Grady-White Gulfstream, out of Oak Island, NC.

Homepage
http://pamandgene.tranquilrefuge.net...at/my_boat.htm

A list of the Titanic victims buried in Halifax... including one 'James' or
'Joseph' Dawson....whose grave was popular when the movie was playing.
http://museum.gov.ns.ca/mma/titanic/victims.htm

On Sun, 31 May 2009 23:52:14 -0400, Gene
wrote:

Sad. There were 120 Irish folks aboard as 3rd class. Only one, Anna
Kelly, made it out alive

Cruise ships can certainly sink if t-boned like the Andrea Doria, but
there is only one class, and they all have an equal chance at a
lifeboat. As for the Andrea Doria, more people have died while diving
the wreck than died in the sinking, more than sixty.

They tell you they have lifeboats enough for twice the number, they
don't tell you that if the ship lists they will only launch the half
on the low side. The crew doesn't exactly abandon. They wait on the
uppermost deck, and if the ship sinks out from under them, they board
liferafts. Freighters have two lifeboats, one on each side, in case
of a list. Or the single freefall boat at the stern. They don't lower
those, they drop them. A shoulder harness on every seat. On the Panama
Canal webcam, I have only seen one open lifeboat [ two, one visible ]
You have to have a Diesel and 300 miles fuel, or sails, only possible
with an open boat. Bligh covered 4000 miles in an open boat with
sails. His book is available in paperback. Lifeboats have a radio
beacon that satellites are listening for, and you don't really need
the engine or sails to go anywhere. To stay off the rocks perhaps.

Casady