Roger Long

Default Good story of sailor surviving recent northeaster

(I'm reposting this with a more appropriate subject line because I
realized it looks like a private message or perhaps a porn come on.)

I suggest looking at this quickly before it's moved off for new
content:

http://cbs4boston.com/local/local_story_299081616.html

I haven't been able to find any news about the boat. If anyone knows,
I would appreciate knowing if she was recovered.

I hope to be sailing like this when I'm this fellow's age although
I'll try to do a better job of weather forecasting.

The boat is an aluminum Colvin design. The main problem, aside from
fatigue and exposure, appears to have been the lee shore of Race
Point, Cape Cod, 22 miles away.

He found himself almost in the breakers and sailed back out again.
She appears to be making enough westing under staysail and half of a
blown out jib to have cleared the land but the Coast Guard swimmer
they put aboard found him hypothermic and hallucinating. They told
him he was leaving and he was glad to go at that point.

Another case where the boat was a lot tougher than the crew although
I'll bet this fellow is way tougher than most of the people who hang
around this newsgroup. (Also a lot more optimistic about weather than
most of us.)

--
Roger Long

John Cairns

"Roger Long" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks for the link, Roger. I'm xposting this to alt.sailing.asa.

John Cairns

Bart Senior

This is a good navigation problem. I estimate
the boat is presently near the fixed ocean buoy
ODAS 44004. Roughly 80 miles south of its
last known position.

If it were closer to shore, I'd try to go get it.

"John Cairns" wrote

"Roger Long" wrote

I haven't been able to find any news about the boat. If anyone knows, I
would appreciate knowing if she was recovered.

I hope to be sailing like this when I'm this fellow's age although I'll
try to do a better job of weather forecasting.

The boat is an aluminum Colvin design. The main problem, aside from
fatigue and exposure, appears to have been the lee shore of Race Point,
Cape Cod, 22 miles away.

Bart Senior

It would have been easy to go get it on Thursday
or Friday.

"Bart Senior" .@. wrote
This is a good navigation problem. I estimate
the boat is presently near the fixed ocean buoy
ODAS 44004. Roughly 80 miles south of its
last known position.

If it were closer to shore, I'd try to go get it.

"John Cairns" wrote

"Roger Long" wrote

I haven't been able to find any news about the boat. If anyone knows,

would appreciate knowing if she was recovered.

I hope to be sailing like this when I'm this fellow's age although

I'll
try to do a better job of weather forecasting.

The boat is an aluminum Colvin design. The main problem, aside from
fatigue and exposure, appears to have been the lee shore of Race

Point,
Cape Cod, 22 miles away.

rhys

Great find, Roger. That reminds me of the "Katana" story in a way.

Wonder if the boat's been salvaged?

R.

On Mon, 31 Oct 2005 14:31:40 -0500, rhys wrote:

Great find, Roger. That reminds me of the "Katana" story in a way.

Wonder if the boat's been salvaged?

R.

I'd bet the boat was salvaged the same day!

The Trolling Stops HERE Capt. Rob ASA 30 October 27th 05 09:11 PM
Good News story.. Don White General 6 October 25th 05 01:40 PM
Who would be upset at a cartoon of Thor? Doug Freyburger ASA 0 October 19th 05 10:21 PM
bertie the bunyip versus bob wald Limey ASA 0 October 13th 05 04:26 PM