Default Lower unit replacements

I've been shopping for a replacement lower unit and was expecting to
pay around $2000 for a new one or $1200-$1500 for used or
remanufactured (for a 200hp Mariner). And that's what I've been
finding.
BUT......
I'm also running across ads and distributors selling brand new lower
units for $700 - $800 bucks. They're not made by the original engine
manufacturer but instead by an independent. The ones I've seen most
are manufactured by someone in Florida and come with a 3 year
warranty.
Needless to say, I'm a little skeptical due to the price difference
and the fact that this is something new to me. I didn't realize anyone
but the original manufacturer would make this type part.
Has anyone here bought one of these lower units? Or know anyone who
has? Or have an idea whether or not they're worth risking the money?

Rick

On Thu, 21 May 09, PhantMan wrote:
[...]

On Thu, 21 May 09, gfretwell wrote
New manufacture or "remanufactured". I find it hard to believe someone
could tool up to make a lower end from scratch cheaper than the OEM
but if they are rebuilding the castings using new bearings and seals
(shafts and gears as required) it might be a reasonable deal.

I was thinking the same thing but I keep finding ads claiming the
"remanufactured" units are rebuilt so are thus dependent on old parts.
And these units are "new".

Here's a snippet from the home page of SEI Sterndrives:

-Quote-
The company makes replacement sterndrives for MerCruiser's® Alpha One®
and Gen II stern drives and replacement outboard lower units for
Mercury®, Johnson/Evinrude® and Yamaha®. Sterndrive Engineering's
Outdrives are not remanufactured, they are entirely new. The SEI
drives are made of parts that are completely compatible and
interchangeable with the OEM. The drives are assembled at SEI's
factory in Oldsmar, Florida.
_Unquote-

Here's the link:
http://www.sterndrive.cc/

Doesn't sound ambiguous to me. Just hard to believe.
But if they're new, and of good quality, I can use one at that price
right about now. So that's why I was hoping to find someone who has
already rolled the dice and willing to give me the benefit of their
experience. I don't even know where Oldsmar is! That's not in your
neighborhood, huh?

[...]

I am surprised but not shocked. .
I guess this particular merc foot is so commonly used that it is a
commodity. There may just be a "leak" in the chinese factory that
makes the castings ;-)

LoL!
Well, if you hear anything from an independent source, good or bad,
lemme know. I need a lower unit and I'd prefer a new one if the
quality is there.

Cheers,
Rick

On May 21, 6:56�pm, wrote:
[...]

Rick- Hide quoted text -

As with everything in life (and especially boats for some
reason :-) ) if it seems too good to be true........it is.
Good luck and please post your findings.
Mike

On Thu, 21 May 09, PhantMan wrote:
LoL!
Well, if you hear anything from an independent source, good or bad,
lemme know. I need a lower unit and I'd prefer a new one if the
quality is there.

On Fri, 22 May 09, gfretwell wrote:
Once you get past the casting the rest is pretty much commodity items
so if the casting is good it should be OK.
I still bet a significant amount of the actual hardware is Chinese but
they are actually getting better. I can remember when Japanese
products were considered junk.
On my Merc 60 the only significant mechanical part that is a US design
is the lower unit (the power head is a Yamaha design) but I wouldn't
be surprised if a large part of it was made in China

This part, " I wouldn't be surprised if a large part of it was made in
China" is what worries me. I personally have had some pretty crappy
luck with the quality of several Chinese products from generators to
lag bolts. SEI says they have a 3 year warranty though.... which begs
the question... will they actually stand behind it? Which is why I'd
really like to hear a review or two (or more) of the lower unit and
the company and the warraty. Still, somebody who's bought and/or used
one may turn up here eventually. I'm not in an emergency situation so
I'll be shopping around for awhile yet.

Rick

Lower unit oil Robert Denner General 6 September 13th 06 10:26 PM
Help: Banged up lower unit Frorider General 2 June 5th 06 01:34 AM
Lower unit oil Nicky General 2 June 25th 05 11:30 PM
weld lower unit? Chris General 7 May 27th 05 10:01 PM
johnson lower unit help Tom K General 0 March 4th 04 03:12 AM