Default Carolina Skiffs....

On May 17, 2:58*pm, Wizard of Woodstock wrote:
On Sun, 17 May 2009 14:36:29 -0400, Wizard of Woodstock

wrote:
On Sun, 17 May 2009 12:37:39 -0500, Vic Smith
wrote:

On Sun, 17 May 2009 11:42:17 -0400, Wizard of Woodstock
wrote:

Anybody here own one of these?

http://www.carolinaskiff.com/listman...ngs/l0006.html

I have a potential buyer for my Ranger who seems really hot to trot -
we're just negotiating on some minor issues.

I've been looking around and these seem to have some appeal to me for
some reason.

Anybody have any experience with them?

I don't, but as much as I've read about them I almost feel like I do.
This is the place to look.
http://www.carolinaskiffowner.com/
There's another forum I used to read, don't know if its still there.
There is probably as much owner info on the CS as there is on the
Whaler.
I see the CS as the Chevy of boats.
I'm a Chevy guy.
Are you?

Damn - well there goes that idea.

Chevy - eeeeewwwwww.............

hehe

I wonder what the Ford of boast would be. :)

Boats - not boast...sheesh...

You'd almost think I was channeling a certain other member for a
second.- Hide quoted text -

I know who!
DK DK is offline

wrote:

[...]

I was thinking the same thing. I'm glad I read ahead!

On Sun, 17 May 2009 11:42:17 -0400, Wizard of Woodstock wrote:

Anybody here own one of these?

http://www.carolinaskiff.com/listman...ngs/l0006.html

Max people *22*. Seems a little optimistic, doesn't it? Nice looking
boat. Where are you planning to use it? That flat bottom might be
limiting.

On Sun, 17 May 2009 17:59:04 -0500, thunder
wrote:

On Sun, 17 May 2009 11:42:17 -0400, Wizard of Woodstock wrote:

Anybody here own one of these?

http://www.carolinaskiff.com/listman...ngs/l0006.html

Max people *22*. Seems a little optimistic, doesn't it? Nice looking
boat. Where are you planning to use it? That flat bottom might be
limiting.

I don't know -that's why I asked.

I've heard that the bigger, wider boats are handle fairly well in
heavy slop, but this is one boat I honestly don't have a lot of
experience with.

As to space and capacity - that's a maximum and I expect it to be a
little unrealistic. I've seen similar boats eight aboard fishing The
Race though - and that can get a little snarky at times.
HK HK is offline

On Sun, 17 May 2009 11:42:17 -0400, Wizard of Woodstock wrote:

Anybody here own one of these?

http://www.carolinaskiff.com/listman...ngs/l0006.html

Not with that model, but with several others, and I have a friend in Jax
who is considered one of the area's best guides, and he runs a 24-footer
for inshore and nearshore fishing. They are great fishing boats. It
helps to have someone with CS experience help you lay one out, because
there are a number of interior options.

On May 17, 9:15*pm, HK wrote:
On Sun, 17 May 2009 11:42:17 -0400, Wizard of Woodstock wrote:

Anybody here own one of these?

http://www.carolinaskiff.com/listman...ngs/l0006.html

Not with that model, but with several others, and I have a friend in Jax
who is considered one of the area's best guides, and he runs a 24-footer
for inshore and nearshore fishing. They are great fishing boats. It
helps to have someone with CS experience help you lay one out, because
there are a number of interior options.

No one here believes you accept Don. You've proven yourself to have NO
credibility.

wrote:

Anybody here own one of these?

http://www.carolinaskiff.com/listman...ngs/l0006.html

I have a potential buyer for my Ranger who seems really hot to trot -
we're just negotiating on some minor issues.

I've been looking around and these seem to have some appeal to me for
some reason.

Anybody have any experience with them?

Here's an example of why I said I consider them the Chevy of boats.

http://www.carolinaskiffowner.com/showthread.php?t=5563

Check the pics of what this fishing Capt'n did with a new 2480 DLX
hull. The pics begin on page 2.
Tabula rasa of boats.
What he did isn't my cuppa, but it kinda reminds me of what my kid did
with his '93 Corsica. Cheap to buy, and he made it into something
else. You'd hardly know it was a Corsica.
That reminds me - I just noticed my Lumina has a Monte Carlo trunk lid
and panel. Looks like a Monte from the back.
I better have a talk with him.

--Vic
DK DK is offline

wrote:

wrote:

Anybody here own one of these?

http://www.carolinaskiff.com/listman...ngs/l0006.html

I have a potential buyer for my Ranger who seems really hot to trot -
we're just negotiating on some minor issues.

I've been looking around and these seem to have some appeal to me for
some reason.

Anybody have any experience with them?

They are great boats for flat water. Don't even think about taking one
into unprotected areas..... they were never designed for it.

They are a great shallow water boat.

I agree. I have seen one (16') upside down in the Estero River from a
boat wake and my friend was on another one (24') coming out of St
James City in the sound that flipped because he got on the side of a
swell.
They seem to do OK until they don't, then it gets bad all of a sudden.

Damn. That's scary! Like Firestones on a '98 Explorer!

On Mon, 18 May 2009 20:15:32 -0400, wrote:

On Mon, 18 May 2009 19:20:57 -0400, DK
wrote:

They are great boats for flat water. Don't even think about taking one
into unprotected areas..... they were never designed for it.

They are a great shallow water boat.

I agree. I have seen one (16') upside down in the Estero River from a
boat wake and my friend was on another one (24') coming out of St
James City in the sound that flipped because he got on the side of a
swell.
They seem to do OK until they don't, then it gets bad all of a sudden.

Damn. That's scary! Like Firestones on a '98 Explorer!

In both cases they were sideways to the sea, taking water over the
beam. I suppose the flat bottom and the low gunwale was the problem.
I just came up on the 16 footer in the river and they didn't really
have a good idea exactly what happened.
The other guy who was in the 24 was paying attention and saw t coming.
They were in the rollers you get when an outgoing tide hits a wind
coming onto shore. The captain tried to turn around in this mess, got
up on the side of a wave and another one came over the rail.
I am not sure any other boat would have done any better in such a bone
head stunt but this one sure was unforgiving and went right over.
This was at night and they were all pretty lucky to get away alive.
Fortunately it was close to shore, they could almost walk home. They
managed to drag the boat up on a sand bar and wait for someone to come
get them. A neighbor saw them go over and came out to get them.
a little while later they had it swinging on davits and the engine
survived the dunk.

I don't think there's anything inherently unsafe about the sea
handling ability of the CS. But it's an open, flat bottom skiff, so
you have to know it's limitations.
They make a DLV model with a different hull shape than the DLX Tom
posted. Supposed to pound less.

--Vic

On Mon, 18 May 09, Vic Smith wrote:
They make a DLV model with a different hull shape than the DLX Tom
posted. Supposed to pound less.

Ha! Who'd a thunk it.
I've never really considered one cuz I thought they were all flat.
It's only a 10 degree deadrise but that's better'n nothing.
And it's a nice lookin' boat too.
You can see a glimpse of the bottom on the left side of the page by
clicking on a model number.
http://www.carolinaskiff.com/skiff/dlv.asp

Rick

Carolina Skiffs... Tom Francis - SWSports General 2 January 8th 09 12:00 AM
Practical Boatbuilding vintage punts canoes skiffs 1903 FA JaneyP Boat Building 0 July 28th 05 09:36 PM
FS: 16' Carolina Skiff in PA. Tom Hensel Marketplace 0 February 23rd 04 11:58 PM
Carolina Skiff Vvmfuno Cruising 2 August 26th 03 10:18 PM
new engine for carolina? mike hicks General 4 August 13th 03 03:24 PM